Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
R1 is AWESOME, but has issues
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After measuring valve lash, I pulled the shims and valve lifters with a magnet. Three shims refused to accompany the valve lifter. I've tried the strongest magnet I have, but they won't budge. I've rubbed them with brake cleaner and tried duct tape, but they didn't stick well enough. I foolishly tried a needle, but that did squat - just slid over the surface.

There is a dollop of grease under each of them (that's the red stuff on the #3 cylinder valve, but not so much), not glue.

How can I get these buggers out?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are just talking about the tiny shims, have you tried a small pic set? You can get a dentistry pic set for cheap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm no mechanic (and probably for good reason). Maybe the shims are larger diameter than the hole they're sitting in. You might be able to increase the diameter of the hole the shims are sitting in by applying some heat with a heat gun. Area expansion of a material follows that material's linear expansion coefficient. So maybe apply a bit of heat and try again? This is of course assuming that the shims have a smaller expansion coefficient than the material they're sitting in.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far I've tried application of a heat-gun, and much stronger magnets. That worked well enough to get two of the three obstinate shims removed. The dental pick set I ordered, and an even stronger magnet, should arrive by end of day (Jan 22)..

I really don't think the shims are larger than the hole they're in, aside from some very minor manufacturing variation. As in 0.0005" (or whatever the tolerances were). I know it doesn't take much force, but I can rotate it, and it went in easily enough, so I don't think it's an interference fit issue. Hell, I put it in there, and I just want it back, dammit, so I can finally replace the incorrect shims.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So far I've tried application of a heat-gun, and much stronger magnets. That worked well enough to get two of the three obstinate shims removed. The dental pick set I ordered, and an even stronger magnet, should arrive by end of day (Jan 22)..

I really don't think the shims are larger than the hole they're in, aside from some very minor manufacturing variation. As in 0.0005" (or whatever the tolerances were). I know it doesn't take much force, but I can rotate it, and it went in easily enough, so I don't think it's an interference fit issue. Hell, I put it in there, and I just want it back, dammit, so I can finally replace the incorrect shims.
chopstick and epoxy would be my next best attempt.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IT'S OUT!
The dental picks helped a bit, but mostly it was placing a small nailset at one edge and tapping it with a socket wrench. That dislodged it enough to pull it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts