Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

This is my first post to this forum.

I'm from Australia and am 19 years of age.

The last few years I have gained an interest in motorcycles and recently got my licence to ride.

An R1 is a long way yet, but the first barrier I've come across is getting past my mum. She hates motorbikes in terms of safety and won't let my dad or I get one.

Is there anything that can help get such past a barrier?

Cheers,

Joel

·
I'm a lead farmer MF'r!
617 Posts
cmp010 said:
Welcome, get an apartment and live on your own.
Thats how I did it anyway.
+1

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
BTW, I would not recommend going against the wishes of your parent if and while you are a dependant financially or live in their home. And welcome to the forum!!

·
Bulldogger
5,874 Posts
Eyespy said:
Evolve into a financially independant adult and do what you like.
:iamwithst

Yeah, see those things hangn' between your legs?

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
When I was just 19/20 like your age... one day I just got home and told my mom... I just ordered a new bike... then she's like what... why? Then I told her... well, no matter what I will do it in my life time, so either I do it now while I'm still young and have good physical, or I'll have to do it when I get older with slower reaction and stuff... then she's like, ok fine... :D

And for my Dad, he didn't even know until one day he got home from the airport and opened the garage door... then all he said to me was... you're old enough to make your own decisions, but just have to be responsible for things you do in life... :crash

:riding

·
Bikes or Jeeps, which addition
89 Posts
Do what I did. While in college just ride it home one day and they won't have much say. You shoulda seen the looks on their faces. :lol Needles to say, they weren't to happy at all. That probably wasn't the best way to break the news to them but it worked. I kinda got a kick out of it. Now, they just accept that I have a bike. :beer

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I was 15 yrs old. I asked for a motorcycle she said hell no. So I bugged the hell out of her for weeks. She finally said If I can buy one on my own that I could have one. She was thinking at 15 there was no way I could raise the money for a bile. Boy was she wrong I got a 1982 mb5 honda for $50. I am sure she was glad that it was a small bike. As long as you ride for a while without having and accidents they accept the fact the there baby is growing up. 3 month later I bought a 1986 ninja 600. Ah the good old days. If you think you cant go thru all the trouble that i went thru you can always move out. Good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
well im 19 and ive had bikes for about 3 years now....so the way i got it past my mom was i paid for everything my own. worked my ass off so that she couldnt say a thing about it. i pay for all my education and my bikes without any help. she cant really tell me what to do if i take care of everytying right?

·
dunning-kruger researcher
10,277 Posts
other than working your ass off... parking your bike at a mates place is an option :sneaky

but the other posters are right, get financial independance and become a man, then you can do what you want to do :fact

·
Registered
996 Posts
GatorSoccer13 said:
Do what I did. While in college just ride it home one day and they won't have much say. You shoulda seen the looks on their faces. :lol Needles to say, they weren't to happy at all. That probably wasn't the best way to break the news to them but it worked. I kinda got a kick out of it. Now, they just accept that I have a bike. :beer
Dude I did the exact same thing. . . :thumbup

·
Registered
672 Posts
Eyespy said:
Evolve into a financially independant adult and do what you like.
i had the same problem, and this is exactly what i did. i built up the credit, saved up for a down payment, i only have one credit card. i got the bike without co sign, got insurance, and i pay for everything myself but yeah,

·
Twisties 32 miles 2.5 mi away
926 Posts
I built my first bike. My mother gave me the usual grief, but I never did pay much attention to what she said anyway. My dad was really proud of me when the bike was together and actually ran.

·
Registered
3 Posts
cut the chord.

a good way to do that is to start showing that you're responsible. start paying for your own stuff. wear gear... talk and act maturely.

again... you're over 18.. you're a big boy now... start showing that you are. its your life.

hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts