Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Saving for 04 R1
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small scratch on my tank and I'm wondering if I could repair it myself. So I was wondering if anyone had and experience and/or information on repairing scratches, fairings, etc. And if so If you tell me how to go about repairing the scratch. I want it to look new again, to the point where you wouldn't even know there was ever a scratch there, but I don't want to have to remove the tank and send it to a professional, hence the reason I'm wanting to repair it myself. So any help would be greatly appreciated, guys.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Get-R-Done
232 Posts
If the scratch isnt that big you can order touch up paint from Yamaha. It is the exact same color as your bike so it works great. Dont know how well it will work on a large scratch, but it works good for little ones.

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
Is it all the way through the paint ? if it's not use a bit of T-Cut and polish it out......

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I bought paint markers (primer, blue, clear) from color-rite. I repaired a BIG scratch on my tank and it came out pretty good. Not perfect, but that was due to my shoddy craftsmanship...

- BA

·
Registered
996 Posts
Stickers!!!!! J/K

·
Saving for 04 R1
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info guys. The scratch is about 1/4in wide by 3/4in long and yes, it's all the way throught the paint. Can I order the touch up paint from yamaha, or should I use color-rite? And also: what if any primer and/or clear coat should I use, and how would I go about polishing it. By that I mean is there any certain products I should purchase for polishin/buffing, in order for it to match the rest of the tank?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Once you touch up with paint you can buff out the excess paint with wet sand paper about 1500-2000 grit. Do it very lightly until paint is completely even then buff it with some nice wax. I use Zymol wax from holland. Really good wax. Put about 3 coats and its ready to go. Good Luck. I know how you feel, I freak out when my I scratch my bike.

·
Banned
11 Posts
BEFORE TOUCHIN UP THE SCRATCH BE SURE TO WASH THE AREA AND APPLY THE TOUCHUP PAINT TO THE AREA. LET IT STAND FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES AND THE POLISH THE AREA WITH A NON-ABRASSIVE WAX LIKE MCGUIRES #6 OR #7 WAX!! HOPEFULLY THE WAX WILL HELP BLEND THE TOUCHUP AREA BACK WITH THE REST OF THE BIKE!!!:rock

·
Beer me
3,889 Posts
What color do you have? I just got some color-rite paint and clear coat to touch up my blue '99 for sale or trade on my new '04 coming in. After I'm done I could send it your way for real cheap.

·
`send it!`
81 Posts
Well if you havent done it yet this is the best way. Firstly you want to get 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand the whole area with soapy water.(dish soap is fine) Try to soften the edges of the sratch, thats the reason for sanding before. Next wipe down with alcohol and lay in your color. When doing this remember its going to take more that one coat of color. Fill the area with a liberal amount to begin with. Do this several times to get the built up even with the original paint. When its dry take your 2000 grit again with soap and water, lightly sand . You should now have a smooth surface ready for polishing. Next take your Micro Polishing compound (3m makes some good stuff) polish the whole area several times. Should be good

-MC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts