Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· all you need in life
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, iam new here, my first post and all.Well first a little about myself. Live in Jersey, and just recently bought a 2000 R1. Its my first "open class" bike. well thats enough about me on ward to the question. :

I always do this "test" to all my previous bike, I will grab some rags, put them on the grass , walk over with the bike, and gently lay the bike down on it side. The reason I do is for in case of an emergancy (or just plain stupidity)my bike falls to the ground,(hope it never does) that I can be able to pick it back up without no ones help.Well I already try this with my new bike.I would thought since the bike is very light (400-something with gas ) i would be able to pick it up.Well that wasnt the case. I struggled with it for like an half hour.finally, I gave up and called someone to help me get it up.Just to let everyone know, Iam 5'11" weigh 190lbs.....so it wasnt that I was a little weaklin about it. anyways I was just wondering If anyone has any pointers and how-to's on how to pick up the bike after it has fallen.Thanks in advance for any suggestion.:thumbup

· slowest rider ..rides in front
1,150 Posts
this is a first:confused:

Look I am 5'8, 155lbs and when my R1 fell over while I parked it .. I set it down as gentle as I could then without hesitation picked it up .... the thought of 9,000 on the ground motivate me enough to pick the thing up ... :D

I think you better hit the gym buddy:lol

my answer is don't let your bike fall:yesnod

welcome to the forum:hellobye

· What day is it?
469 Posts
You will be able to pick up your bike after you really lay it down because of the adrenaline and anger you will be feeling at the time. If I could pick up my 400+ pound '96YZF600 when I wrecked it all by myself I assure you that you can pick up the much lighter R1. (I'm 5'6" 135lbs):yesnod

· all you need in life
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By where did you pick it up? just by the handle bars? Iam more interested if there is any way that you gotta put your body and/or how to hold it so that you dont damage your body when you lift.

· What day is it?
469 Posts
Whatever you do don't just bend over at the waist and think your gonna pick it up that way. That will just ensure a visit to the Chiroprator! Make your legs do most of the work. My personal technique was to squat down, grab the handlebar that's on the ground with one hand and slide the other arm in the space between the tank and the front seat and then keeping your back straight push with your legs to stand it up. It's really hard to explain in writing. I hope this kind of makes sense. :confused:

· Vagina Lubba
128 Posts
Just grab it by the handle bar that is on the bottom and either the subframe and lift with your legs. You will have a lot of adrenaline when you drop it for real, just be sure not to lift it too quick because it can go over the other way.

· Smoke'em!
180 Posts
Yeah, agree with yzfgirl. :yesnod If u drop ur bike you'll be able to pick it up trust me! When i droped my old ZX-7 that was heavy as a tank i picked it up with no difficulty at all... amazing what adrenaline makes you capable of doing! :eek:

And i'm 6'3'' and only 175lbs.

· R1 eats for luch any bike.
384 Posts
i did that with my bike same way u did and i wasn't able to pick the thing up, i was quite Pissed Off lol, but when i crashed 4 times i had no proble at all picking it up, except when i fractured my wrist...im about 5'8 145lbs

bike gets up no problem ....

later, ride safe and welcome aboard..:)

· R1 eats for luch any bike.
384 Posts
I pick it up with left hand on the handle bar and right hand on the subframe, that when bike is on left side, swith hands when bike is on the right side

:rock

· all you need in life
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot for the info guys/girls. Well to be honest, I really dont wanna see my bike down on the floor, so hopefully I will never have to pick it up.But as with everything else in life, always be prepared for the worst, and it wont hit as hard.;)

· THE MAN
3,750 Posts
WHAT WORKS FOR ME

This is what works for me, although everyone is different. I squat down next to the bike and grab both handle bars just as if I were riding it. I apply the front brake to keep it from rolling as I pick it up. I turn the front tire INTO the ground (if it's laying on it's right side, turn the bars all the way to the right...etc) Then I lift with my legs, while pushing the bars twards the tires. You don't need to lift the bike's weight straight up, only need to rock it back onto it's tires. Good luck.

· Do or do not, there is no try
2,670 Posts
One secret...........SPINACH!!

Seriously, you should be able to pick it up unless you bought the lead framed version. I saw a picture of this kind of fat guy pick up his entire R1 off the ground once so picking up a tipped over one should be easy. I know I can bounce my forks down and pick the front end up from a standstill so the bike ain't too heavy

· I ride therefore I am.
126 Posts
I will have to agree with Mike B. I have always found that a lot of cursing was a major factor in picking up my bike.:thumbup

· Registered
10 Posts
You will be able to pick up your bike after you really lay it down because of the adrenaline and anger you will be feeling at the time. If I could pick up my 400+ pound '96YZF600 when I wrecked it all by myself I assure you that you can pick up the much lighter R1. (I'm 5'6" 135lbs)

Yeah, I dropped my first bike. It weighed 550 lbs and I just snatched it up no problem (I'm 5'10, 190). A guy had stopped to help me. He was like "Daaaamn!"

It helps if its in gear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.