Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2001 R1. Thinking about a helmet lock. How do you all secure yours? Helmet lock on the frame or steel cord threaded through?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I left my helmet locked to my last 3 bikes and never had an issue (2 decades). If It’s going to be in a parking garage all day in the city, I don’t leave it. Anyone who would steal a helmet knows enough not to cut the D ring, and if you park sensibly vandals won’t bother it (teens are a different story). I just find the little space to add a frame lock on the old R1 limited.

·
I miss my R1
3,843 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in an area where I don't even need to secure it to my bike, and also lucky enough to have a bike that has (removable) paniers that I can put it in if I travel somewhere sketchy ;)

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,056 Posts
Whenever i feel it's safe enough to leave the helmet by the bike i use the stock built in lock ..

Once when i had a helmet without the D-rings or built in extra lock ring i made my own lock of a piece of thin, PVC coated steel cable, some cable locks and a niteo hook from an old key chain.
Secured it round a part of the rear frame under the passengers seat.

Open lid/seat, loop the cable through helmet and lock the hook at the loop where the caple is attached under the lid 👍

Font Parallel Drawing Slope Art

Head Eye Drinkware Automotive lighting Human body

Art Body jewelry Sculpture Silver Artifact

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive never liked using the under seat provided lock devices as I think that I may scratch the plastics. I have a little luggage lock that I loop through the D-ring, place the helmet on the RHS mirror and lock it to the throttle cable.
Even if someone is equipped with a blade and does cut the strap, it renders the helmet useless, but does stop the odd opportunist to pick it up and simply walk off with it.

This way it doesn’t matter which bike I take, it seems to work on all of mine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whenever i feel it's safe enough to leave the helmet by the bike i use the stock built in lock ..

Once when i had a helmet without the D-rings or built in extra lock ring i made my own lock of a piece of thin, PVC coated steel cable, some cable locks and a niteo hook from an old key chain.
Secured it round a part of the rear frame under the passengers seat.

Open lid/seat, loop the cable through helmet and lock the hook at the loop where the caple is attached under the lid 👍

View attachment 1025327

View attachment 1025324

View attachment 1025325
Appreciate the notice on the built in. My aftermarket seat cowl doesn’t have that, but I might just add a hook and screw to make it so.

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,056 Posts
Appreciate the notice on the built in. My aftermarket seat cowl doesn’t have that, but I might just add a hook and screw to make it so.
Okay, i understand, when i bought my bike it came with an additional, stock yamaha, rear seat cowl and that didn't have those "hooks" either (?)

But surprisingly enough the four small loops to fold out to run luggage straps through are there (?!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts