Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or really any 600cc sport bike.

Reason I ask is because I just sold my 2004 R6 a few weeks ago. I had that for a little under a year and not taking anything away from it, but I'd like an R1 for different reasons. Have done research from friends, webpages and other R1 owners and I feel that I want this to be my next bike that I will keep for a long time. Looking at different years, I would like to go after a 2004 or 2005 based on looks, comfort and performance (from what I've heard). I'm not gunna buy a bike of this caliper to go fly down the freeway or impress anyone I pass... but as I bike I feel that I can handle, I can enjoy, and have the performance if I decide to do a trackday. I know it may sound that I want this for the wrong reasons but I really don't. I have friends with other 1000cc bikes and I feel that I would rather own that than another 600cc for now. After all, if I were to go after another R6, I'd want a newer year and that would cost equal... if not more than an older R1 from the years I specified.

I have ridden a few liter bikes (different years of the CBR1K, a gixxer 1K *not my thing*) but I have never been on any R1s on the road. Sat of different ones, and understand what the bike has and where the controls are but if you have any information, how does that compare to a 600?

Being in a huge city (Phoenix, AZ), we don't have twistys around here unless you head up north a few hours. So it's mainly for street riding and enjoyment.

I'd appreciate any information that anybody could give me. Hope to join you all soon with an R1, just want to get as much info as I can and take it step by step to be sure this whole experience is nothing short of the best.

Appreciate it guys and gals. Look forward to different responses.

·
Squid 4 Life!
439 Posts
Ill share my experience: I also came from a 600 (cbr). People kept telling me that the liter bike was gunna be a whole different experience and "scary". Well I've had my R1 for a lil over a year now and aside from not needing a lot of throttle to take off from a dead stop vs the 600, I think they are pretty much the same. Sure the R1 is a tad bit heavier, but its easy to handle in my opinion. For me the liter bike actually makes me respect the bike more, where as in the 600 I found myself thinking I was more than the bike. I to live in the inner city and enjoy riding the R1 more than I did the 600 in city traffic.

·
Registered
789 Posts
here is my story a short one at that. I bought a 08 R6S last June I rode that awhile and found out that it didnt have enough grunt for the riding I did. I ride 2 up with my wife alot because that is something we love to do is go out for rides. Riding on the highway did not feel safe to me arounnd the city because I couldnt accelerate as quickly as I wanted to while riding with the wife on the back. She is only 105 lbs with her gear on and it still was a significant slow down. So I convinced the wife I needed to jump up to a R1 and we upgraded to the R1 in August. That made the world of difference where I had enough power anytime in any gear to be able to accelerate the amount I needed to do. I do believe the R1 is easier to ride than that R6S was.

·
Redline R1
136 Posts
Me personally I came from an YZF600. It was rather boring in my opinion. But after I got an 04 R1 I felt what power felt like. I was also introduced to a hard ass seat. I sold the YZF and got my wife (at the time) an 05 R6. True they don't have a lot or power but they ride a lot smoother and the seat is wider. To me the R6 feels lighter especially in the turns, but to make a long story short. I sold my 04 R1 and got a 07 R1. I decided I would rather have power and not need it than need it and not have it. I still want another R6 but not at the expense of giving up my R1.

·
So many mods, so little $
347 Posts
The only bike you can ride on after owning a liter and still have the same kind of fun is a GXSR-750 but it will still never match the power of a liter. I would never go back. A 600 is just not anywhere near close. Some will claim that a liter and a 600 are virtually the same. Those are the same people that do not know how to ride a liter.

·
Adrenaline is a drug
397 Posts
I started off on a 88 seca 600, then a cbr f3, then an f4i, then an r1. I recently rode my friends 04 r6 and though there was something wrong with it.. But I have been so used to a liter that the 600 felt sickly. Now thats just street riding. Tracking is another ball game.

·
yield
17,823 Posts
Or really any 600cc sport bike.

Reason I ask is because I just sold my 2004 R6 a few weeks ago. I had that for a little under a year and not taking anything away from it, but I'd like an R1 for different reasons. Have done research from friends, webpages and other R1 owners and I feel that I want this to be my next bike that I will keep for a long time. Looking at different years, I would like to go after a 2004 or 2005 based on looks, comfort and performance (from what I've heard). I'm not gunna buy a bike of this caliper to go fly down the freeway or impress anyone I pass... but as I bike I feel that I can handle, I can enjoy, and have the performance if I decide to do a trackday. I know it may sound that I want this for the wrong reasons but I really don't. I have friends with other 1000cc bikes and I feel that I would rather own that than another 600cc for now. After all, if I were to go after another R6, I'd want a newer year and that would cost equal... if not more than an older R1 from the years I specified.

I have ridden a few liter bikes (different years of the CBR1K, a gixxer 1K *not my thing*) but I have never been on any R1s on the road. Sat of different ones, and understand what the bike has and where the controls are but if you have any information, how does that compare to a 600?

Being in a huge city (Phoenix, AZ), we don't have twistys around here unless you head up north a few hours. So it's mainly for street riding and enjoyment.

I'd appreciate any information that anybody could give me. Hope to join you all soon with an R1, just want to get as much info as I can and take it step by step to be sure this whole experience is nothing short of the best.

Appreciate it guys and gals. Look forward to different responses.

You adapt and adjust pretty quick...
I like being able to stay and cruise in 3rd. 600's cant do that-

·
So many mods, so little $
347 Posts
You adapt and adjust pretty quick...
I like being able to stay and cruise in 3rd. 600's cant do that-
Me too...there is nothing like cruising at 80mph in 3rd coming up on a slower vehicle and twisting the throttle just slightly to pass them up. You hit 100 before you're even in front of the car. You can't accelerate that fast in a 600cc.:scoots:

·
President Elect
1,901 Posts
Me personally I came from an YZF600. It was rather boring in my opinion. But after I got an 04 R1 I felt what power felt like. I was also introduced to a hard ass seat. I sold the YZF and got my wife (at the time) an 05 R6. True they don't have a lot or power but they ride a lot smoother and the seat is wider. To me the R6 feels lighter especially in the turns, but to make a long story short. I sold my 04 R1 and got a 07 R1. I decided I would rather have power and not need it than need it and not have it. I still want another R6 but not at the expense of giving up my R1.
same story ...I came from a FZR600...was a big fan of yamaha from the late nineties....upgraded to 05 R1...but OP question about street riding for both ...is very simple ...both will handle similar under conservative street riding...difference being...you crack the throttle on an R1 and its a different street ride....It really depends on the rider and how aggressive the ride is on the street...

·
Registered
70 Posts
For an experienced rider, a liter bike is more street friendly than a 600. For spirited (safe) riding you really need to wind up a 600, where on a liter you can keep it below 7k rpms.

I did 26k street miles on an R6, and thought it was great. But the 5k I've done on the R1 have been much more enjoyable. It doesn't feel like I'm putting stress on the engine like it did with the R6. However the R6 was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME on the track! I'm actually a little scared about taking the R1 on the track.

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
However the R6 was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME on the track! I'm actually a little scared about taking the R1 on the track.

You said it right there. The R6 or really any 600cc owns the track {or most tracks}. It all depends on your type of riding. Hard aggressive street riding or track it's all about the R6. They are so easy to flick in turns it's not even funny. But, for open fun riding with some tight curves the R1 is a blast. Less gear shifting too. A lot of it depends on your size too. I'm on the slim side, so the R6 fits me just fine.

·
President Elect
1,901 Posts
For an experienced rider, a liter bike is more street friendly than a 600. For spirited (safe) riding you really need to wind up a 600, where on a liter you can keep it below 7k rpms.

I did 26k street miles on an R6, and thought it was great. But the 5k I've done on the R1 have been much more enjoyable. It doesn't feel like I'm putting stress on the engine like it did with the R6. However the R6 was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME on the track! I'm actually a little scared about taking the R1 on the track.
26K on street....with a 600...and 5K with a R1 ....youve put milage on both...which do you prefer?....

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,662 Posts
I haven't ridden an R6, but I do have a 2005 R1. The 04-06 is a great bike - great looking, a lot of power. I have a full exhaust on mine, stacks, PCIII, K&N and also -1 in the front. It's a beast. You can barely keep the front tire on the ground when accelerating.

I have all the decals removed on mine, so I think sometimes people pull up next to me and think it's an R6. The other night I was running across town to the book store and some guy on a 600 or 700 (not sure what brand it was) came up next to me. He tried to out accelerate me from a stop light... I gave it a little gas and he just turned into a dot in the background. When he finally caught up, he was just shaking his head :) He said "Power commander?" I think he thought it was an R6 with a lot of mods or something hehe :)

I've been thinking about getting a 2009 R6 for my girlfriend to ride (and also for use at the track or very twisty roads). But for just sheer excitement and feeling like you are strapped to the top of a jet engine, the R1 is hard to beat. With mods and gearing, the bike is scary fast at WOT.

I started out riding an old Yamaha 700. I thought the bike was fast.. until one night my friend accelerated past me on his 2004 R1. It was like I was going backwards, even though I was redlined in 2nd gear with the throttle pinned. Shortly after that, he let me ride his R1 and I couldn't go back; sold my bike a week later and bought my '05 R1.

Ray

·
Stuntin' every other day
4,585 Posts
I've got a R1 08 and I love it on the track and the street. My room mate has a 07 R6 and I ride that also. The R6 is a very light bike and corners well. I love the light weight feel of the bike but the power of the R1 always wins it for me. You have to rev the R6 to get it moving and it take abit more work to get moving.

·
Humble Pastafarian
2,937 Posts
I prefer my R1 on the street over any 600 I've ever owned - I prefer my 675 (or 600's) on the track over any liter I've ever owned.
I'll most likely never go to anything smaller on the street again and most likely will never go to a liter on the track.

·
Glutton for Punishment
20 Posts
I started riding on a CBR600F4i. After some time on it I figured something with more torque would be more enjoyable to ride as I didn't much care for having to downshift and bring the revs up to get decent acceleration. A couple friends let me ride their GSXR1000s and there was no going back. My R1 has yet to disappoint on power or turning ability so I love the thing. Getting used to a 1000 after a 600 wasn't hard, but riding 600s after my 1000 just seems boring now.

·
Go in deeper come out faster
6,403 Posts
I'll keep it simple.... its like a cadillac just with more balls

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.