Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question, how fast would you ride on a tire plug? 55? 70? 90? 100? 150? Faster?

Personally, I wouldn't go over the speed limit on a plug, and that's no fun.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, you could go with my motto: "It's not fun if it's safe."
But if you're one of those guys who's going to try to spare the $200 in exchange for a $20,000 hospital bill... I don't think my motto applies to you.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,879 Posts

·
amazed....
2006 Yamaha R1 LE #244
644 Posts
I watched a friend plug a rear tire at Daytona Bike week a few years ago. I contested that it was not safe...He didnt listen and I was told that was a myth. Later that day we were leaving and got on I-95 north. Within 20 miles the rear tire blew and I MEAN BLEW!!!!. Thank God he was a skilled rider. He didnt go down and managed the bike to the left breakdown lane. Scariest think I have ever seen that actually ended well.

NEVER PLUG A BIKE TIRE. JUST DONT DO IT!!!

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any body know how fast a plug manufacturer says you can go? With a rope plug I'm pretty sure they say 55mph. I'll go check.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I’d go slow and only to a safe place to get a new tire personally. A tire is cheaper than what can happen if it fails at speed or in heavy traffic, etc.

·
amazed....
2006 Yamaha R1 LE #244
644 Posts
I can personally attest to going over 150mph with a plugged rear tire. I can also attest to making bad decisions sometimes. Those two things may be related
Honestly is ALWAYS the best policy...that and insight to the problem is ALWAYS the first step to correcting it.

Watching a rear tire blow at 80mph is something you will never forget. If that had been the front or he was a less skilled rider I would have lost my friend that night...

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
We all have our own threshold for risk. Apparently the insurance guys cut that risk down to 55mph for a rope plug and probably 55 for a dynaplug. Note they say it was tested up to 90 but don't tell you how fast it's rated or how far you can drive on it.

If you push a plugged tire to the limits, I hope you have good insurance because the manufacturer is not going to assume any liability. That's just my perspective.

·
Become one with THE ONE.
597 Posts
I plugged my 88GSXR and rode for about 800 miles before change it out. The recommendation was go below 80 mph back then. I went mostly 65 to 75. That was a bias tire. I drove on plug car tire for over 1000 miles with no issue. I would use it for commute only but not on twisty for spirit ride.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I had a rear tire let go (because I was too cheap to replace it when it was well worn) many years ago on my 2000 R1. Heavy acceleration on the expressway. 125-130mph. Saved it but not something I’d care to repeat. Wasn’t a plugged tire. Just my cheap ass. But still...

Once again, on the list of things I regret. Much like filming @Gearheaded and @2muchbluE in that sex scene they did together. Money was good but damn. Some things you just can’t unsee 🤮

·
ROWDY
12,169 Posts
Tires stretch as speed increase's. So it would probably loosen around the plug causing air lose and heat build up, and blowout. Thats why we run speed rated tires.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I plugged my 88GSXR and rode for about 800 miles before change it out. The recommendation was go below 80 mph back then. I went mostly 65 to 75. That was a bias tire. I drove on plug car tire for over 1000 miles with no issue. I would use it for commute only but not on twisty for spirit ride.
I have a plug in my SUV tire right now. Was brand new and picked up a screw in a fixable area of the tire. I plan on driving on it until it gives up or I need new tires. The difference of course is the potential impact if it fails. Bike can be a disaster. Car, yea, most likely just an annoyance to toss on the spare.

·
Just Me.
578 Posts
Back in the day, I've experiemented with this. I even did at track day when my pace was slower (entry level Intermediate pace) with a patch-plugged rear tire. I have no exact speed documented, but I can approximate I got up to 125ish with it on more than one occasion. I'm sure I put at least 2,000 miles on that tire after it was patch-plugged by yours truly. Would I still ride track like that? NO! Would I ride on the street like that? Probably!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts