Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Plugs are made to get you back to go at a snails pace and get that rim off and get a new tire put on period.
If you are thinking the plug is the fix in till the life of the tire is up you should retire from riding a motorcycle, your thinking will get you killed, just saying.

·
Just Me.
580 Posts
Use these patch plugs...

Reactions: 1202067

·
1,026 Posts
i've used mushroom plug on Q4 tire and reached 160 mph.

but the plug must be installed correctly: after plug is installed apply bead sealer over the mushroom section inside the tire

always use the smallest plug to avoid enlarging the hole.

if you never speed then (IMO) plug is reliable; but remember, tire manufacture never recommend using plugged tire.

·
2006 R1 LE #283
37 Posts
I've been over 180 MPH with a plugged tire. Not on the day it was plugged of course, but after a few days of checking and allowing the outside to blend in with the rest of the tire.

Also done a few other things most people wouldn't try, like dragging my knee when it was snowing...going hot into a corner on tires not warm enough yet, losing the front and getting it back in time to still make the corner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Simple question, how fast would you ride on a tire plug? 55? 70? 90? 100? 150? Faster?

Personally, I wouldn't go over the speed limit on a plug, and that's no fun.
I've done 160 on a pluged tire. But like the one post said you got to install it right. Number one that installment tool is way too big you got a grind that thing down on a grinder as small as you can make it and taper the corners in it you take the corners out of it and then smooth it out and polish it. So it doesn't make your whole even bigger I've never use their file. And the cheapest plugs but black ones that are real sticky with no glue are the ones I use try them all. The ones with the glue always leak and I've had one of those come out but at low speed. And that was the only one. And you get that tool that doesn't have the slice in the front. Meaning the tool that you have to cut the repair loose when you pull it out. And you push the tool and repair all the way in and start turning the tool until the ends start to pull down into the tire. Then you pull it out really slow and just when it comes out of the tire about an eighth of an inch you cut it . But this was a long time ago when I had my 88 GSXR.. also you check it what's the tire pressure gauge if it's not losing air on a daily basis it's good to go cuz you figure you got a big knot on the inside. And you're probably all thinking and I'm knot in your head.what should be done is you should use it to get home with it and then you put one of the patches that goes from the inside to the out cuz I've use those and they've never ever leaked or never failed. And I know a lot of guys that have big bucks will just buy a new tire. But I just don't got it like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I watched a friend plug a rear tire at Daytona Bike week a few years ago. I contested that it was not safe...He didnt listen and I was told that was a myth. Later that day we were leaving and got on I-95 north. Within 20 miles the rear tire blew and I MEAN BLEW!!!!. Thank God he was a skilled rider. He didnt go down and managed the bike to the left breakdown lane. Scariest think I have ever seen that actually ended well.

NEVER PLUG A BIKE TIRE. JUST DONT DO IT!!!
I've never seen a quality tire blow on a tubeless bike EVER! I'm 67yrs old been riding/racing since I was 8. I doubt the story above that the tire blew..... but if it did.... it was because it was very low on air due to an idiot inserting the rope plug and the air leaked out.

I was a mechanic for years rope plugging tires in the 60's,70's never have seen a car tire blow either wIth a simple nail or screw hole in the tread.

Complete bullshit that rope plugged tires, in the tread NOT the sidewall, are unsafe in a quality tire... but then again most people can **** up a wet dream. I've run SEVERAL rope plugged tire down to the cords then did burn outs took the tires off there is NO WAY a full inserted plug can come out.... impossible. It's real hard to insert them past the steel cords. A tire is NOT damaged with a straight in simple small nail or screw.... period! Forum bullshit myths!

I'm an A group rider and have tracked a tire patched all day using a small bicycle patch on the inside, with absolutely no issue. Sadly you people are gullible enough to think a small up to 1/16" hole ruins a tire.

No shit Tire mfgs are going to tell you to replace the tire.... they want to SELL TIRES and can't see the object or where it is etc.

Some idiot at Discount Tire told me he could not plug my SUV tire because the steel cords will rust and the tire will fail. What complete bullshit I plugged it myself, ran it until the tire was worn out without issue. I transport my bike on the back of my Tahoe with a mototote live in Phx where it's 115+ and I drive 90-100mph going to Chuckwalla Raceway and did that with the rope plugged tire.

Sorry to say but the dumbing down of America has already occurred... just look to the Qanon, Chemtrail, flatearth believing idiots et al.

Believe all the forum bullshit if you want but a simple puncture with a regular patch on the inside is absolutely a non-issue and a rope plug done PROPERLY is no issue both can be run at any speed, I have done it and would have no concerns in doing it EVER.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never seen a quality tire blow on a tubeless bike EVER! I'm 67yrs old been riding/racing since I was 8. I doubt the story above that the tire blew..... but if it did.... it was because it was very low on air due to an idiot inserting the rope plug and the air leaked out.

I was a mechanic for years rope plugging tires in the 60's,70's never have seen a car tire blow either wIth a simple nail or screw hole in the tread.

Complete bullshit that rope plugged tires, in the tread NOT the sidewall, are unsafe in a quality tire... but then again most people can **** up a wet dream. I've run SEVERAL rope plugged tire down to the cords then did burn outs took the tires off there is NO WAY a full inserted plug can come out.... impossible. It's real hard to insert them past the steel cords. A tire is NOT damaged with a straight in simple small nail or screw.... period! Forum bullshit myths!

I'm an A group rider and have tracked a tire patched all day using a small bicycle patch on the inside, with absolutely no issue. Sadly you people are gullible enough to think a small up to 1/16" hole ruins a tire.

No shit Tire mfgs are going to tell you to replace the tire.... they want to SELL TIRES and can't see the object or where it is etc.

Some idiot at Discount Tire told me he could not plug my SUV tire because the steel cords will rust and the tire will fail. What complete bullshit I plugged it myself, ran it until the tire was worn out without issue. I transport my bike on the back of my Tahoe with a mototote live in Phx where it's 115+ and I drive 90-100mph going to Chuckwalla Raceway and did that with the rope plugged tire.

Sorry to say but the dumbing down of America has already occurred... just look to the Qanon, Chemtrail, flatearth believing idiots et al.

Believe all the forum bullshit if you want but a simple puncture with a regular patch on the inside is absolutely a non-issue and a rope plug done PROPERLY is no issue both can be run at any speed, I have done it and would have no concerns in doing it EVER.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with Kinetic rider .and I didn't want to tell the truth I've ran seven plugs that's going extreme I know and I round up at a hundred and sixty miles an hour. and the reason was is because there was a person that wanted me to sign a ticket and I just couldn't afford that didn't want to see the bike go off on the tow truck. And it just changed one of the ones that you use the glue with and that's why those things are garbage. but yeah you got a knot on the inside of the tire tires are made good to steel-belted radials. Yeah the manufacture wants you to sell you a new tire. as a matter of fact this is going a little bit far I just ran the R1 tire down to cords accidentally but I'm putting on a new Michelin already got it on won't be doing that again. Tire plugs are safe as long as they're installed right the black real sticky ones the cheap ones are the best that I've used I don't use any that require glue that glues just lube so they can come out. I'm 57 years old and I've been riding since I was about 10 and the fact is I've never had a motorcycle license and I still don't know the last time I signed a ticket was in 1986. But I'm stopping all that but I find it hard to go under a hundred miles an hour on this 2016 R1 it seems like a hundred and twenty and thirty most of the time. You guys ride safe stay out of trouble and insert your plugs right. I voice type this letter might be some words out of place I ain't got time to proofread it. I got some free ways to burn up cuz I haven't taken the same to the mountains yet.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
manufacturers have directions on what's safe to plug and what's not. you can find it on dunlop and michelins websites. when done properly the plugs will hold up just as good as the original tire. what's dangerous is running a tire while its low, creating excessive heat and excessive flex that will disintegrate the belts and the whole tire explodes. i couldn't even begin to guess how many plugs/patches I've installed and never had one fail. I've seen quite a few tires be defective and come apart though. it amazes me how many guys buy the hype plugs are dangerous even though the manufacturer has tested then and gives guidelines.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts