Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fun=Riding R1 or snowboarding
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my Akropovic Slip on for a 2001 Yamaha R1 from Lockhart Phillips and all that came in the box is the canister, s-bend, 4 springs, and a mounting clamp. Is that all that should be included? There weren't even a set of instructions. Should there be? The slip on canister connection to the s-bend looks straight-forward (just attach and add the two springs). But on the other end of the s-bend connecting to the header, there is only one spring loop. Is that used? I was given 4 springs. Are you supposed to use the stock circular clamp down there to hold the s bend to the header pipe? Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm surprised with the price this exhaust costs and the good reputation the company has that they do not provide better instructions or even have a decent website. I would have expected better from Akrapovic. Also, can any R1 owners with Akropovic slip-ons post a picture of what the finished installation looks like down at the level where the s-bend connects to the header.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris
2001 R1

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I know a couple of people have Akropovic exhausts here, I'm not sure about the slip-on's. But I'm sure someone will have the answers to your questions. I have yet to replace my exhaust so I'm a little unexperienced in this area, sorry. :(

·
R1...need i say more
190 Posts
akrapovic

Hey
I tryed to take a picture of my can,but it is hard to get a good clear one, but here it is. Anyway, good choise of exhaust .

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Dude! That picture is huge!

I haven't myself installed my high-pipe... but haven't you got a manual with the exhaust that tells you how to install it on your bike? There should be...
otherwise.. why not phone Akropovic

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
OK the pic is fixed,now yes use the clamp at the header and the springotherwise it will rattle a little. Did you remove the EXUP(paper weight) either way you might have to do a little adjustment on the idle mixture screws in which case you will have to remove the caps to get to them if it has not been done already,but try it first normal and see how it goes.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: Installation of Akropovic Slip-On

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses so far and thanks LtdR1Ryder for your welcome to the Forum. I look forward to being a part of this great community. Thanks also Brisse for posting the picture. Where is your 3rd spring down by the header connected? Are you using stock headers? I'm using stock headers and keeping the EXUP. I'm including a picture I took this morning with some notes added to further show what I still have questions about. I'd phone Akro but they're in Yugoslavia and I don't have their number.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are ways to do it.

This is the response from Performance Products Ltd, a major distributor for Akrapovic: The Akrapovic link pipe does not use a clamp or anything similar, it is held in position by the spring which attaches to the slotted bracket which comes from the bottom of the engine which the fairing attaches to. the spring is under constant tension and this holds the pipe in position.

Another setup I've seen alot and that was brought to my attention is this: Connect the s-bend to the EXUP valve with a single spring. Hook it under the metal bracket on the EXUP valve and you're set to go.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
Weird you would think they would come up with another idea for that kind on money. Make sure someone sets up the carbs for you after you put it one,don't need any burnt valves

·
Please stay out of my way !!
121 Posts
I am really glad I found this site. I am in the process of installing my Akro Slip On and found the same dilema concerning the spring at the header pipe. I guess that will work fine !! Thanks
:rock :rock

·
Please stay out of my way !!
121 Posts
That is how I secured the pipe to the header section. The only problem is that the supplied spring has a rubber boot on it and it is resting on the pipe. My guess is that the rubber is going to melt but that really doesn't bother me. Since the pipe is titanium will it turn color ?? Thanks for the pics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.