Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My question to all of the R1 owners is, how long can you comfortably ride your bike. is a ride of 300 miles pushing it? :dunno
Thanks for any info.

·
Will Work For Gas Money
135 Posts
I'm sure I'm no record holder, but Saturday before last I did 140 miles, then another 325 on the following Monday (Columbus Day). Left work early yestday (2pm) and did 175. I've only had the R1 for a couple months, but my personal longest on this bike is 375. Longest on my last bike was around 450.

I'm thinking about adding a corbon seat and maybe some helle (sp?) bars to the 1 for a little more distance comfort.

rvb

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are helle(sp?) bars

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
heli bars are gay....... If you want to turn the one into a touring bike why dont you add some saddle bags and some highway pegs while you are at it.... :D

No really, 300 miles in a day is cake! I'll do 150 just to get out during the afternoon sometimes. I'd say the limit on a sportbike if you are out hitting curves all day is around 500 miles or so. You can do more after that, but you are pretty smoked. Now boring highway droning is different. I try to stay away from that but you might be able to log more miles that way, if you dont fall asleep on the tank first.

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
I did 9 hours once... It was not so bad.. If I remember right, the only thing that hurt was my neck from holding my head up so long..

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
madcow, i am in west lafayette at Purdue University. I live around monticello, in ..........ya know Indiana Beach.

where are you at

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've done 10 hour weekend rides with 2 hour of breaks spread throughout the ride. 500+ miles with close to 400 miles spent on twisties.

I rode standing up when my butt hurt. My throttle wrist got tired first.

·
Vrooom
1,531 Posts
Did 15 hrs this past summer, 780 miles. Should have been a 12 hr trip, but there were some major forest fires buring in British Columbia, so I was forced to do some nice detours.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Heli bars are great. They don't change the appearance of the bike at all, but they made a HUGE difference in the comfort level. They differ from the stock location by less than 2 inches up and back, but they take an incredible amount of weight off your wrists and back.

·
Beeeeeer!
9,542 Posts
What's up with you guys bashing people who want to tour on the R1. If you had a touring bike would you not want it to handle, be light and powerful?

Check this site out for clip-on risers. they actually move the clip on and not just reangle it like Heli. You do have to get new brake lines but the price of the risers and the lines are still cheaper than Heli and much better. You can also adjust them back to normal height. clicky

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
I rode 600 miles to danbury CT and back on a Sunday (first super sunday). Then out to Syracuse the next day and back (500 miles).

Wasn't bad at all. I just recently rode down to Port Jervis area to meet up with some forum members. That was a 500 mile day.

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
Couple weekends ago, did the Songdog(Ranch) Rally weekend.(Santa Barbara's backcountry) From SF it's about 400 miles each way 90% back country roads, fast 120-130 sweepers, top speed runs, long day made longer by taking roads that are awesome to ride even if it adds another 100 miles to each direction. So in 2 1/2 days, 1200 miles and another cooked rear tire...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some little mods are really helpful if you tour with the R1. Throttlemeister is great and so are Heli Bars and Corbin seat. MRA makes good DB screens.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
A few weekends ago I did about 350 miles on my R1... That was with 2 gas stops and a 1/2 hour lunch. I was just fine and never got uncomfortable or sore....

When I had my yzf600, I did 1500 miles in 3 days w/out any problems...

- BA

·
Protected By GLOCK
759 Posts
I done 600 mile days, right arm was a little sore and so was my sternum from the tank. Plan on riding to montreal in july with a bunch of harleys, just gotta figure out how to take all my gear

1 - 20 of 29 Posts