Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there is only one balance point but my friend begs to differ as he says there is one balance point at 10 oclockish and another one around 12-1 oclock. Even though the bike is balanced when it is completely vertical, does this mean its another balance point?

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
There is no "one" balance point. The balance point changes depending on how fast you are going... The faster you are going the lower it is...

If you are at 1 oclock then believe you me you are going to go backwards...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shadow One said:
There is no "one" balance point. The balance point changes depending on how fast you are going... The faster you are going the lower it is...

i don't doubt theres more than 1, but it doesn't make sense. wouldn't there just be 1, since the center o' gravity doesn't really move? i wouldn't know, just wonderin! :confused:

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
The balance point also depends greatly on your body positioning. The more you lean off the back, the lower the bp is. Kinda makes sense, doesnt it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
skinnyR! said:
The balance point also depends greatly on your body positioning. The more you lean off the back, the lower the bp is. Kinda makes sense, doesnt it?
yeah thats what i would have thought, that its more about how you're ridin it. :yesnod

·
70,000 miles on 4 R1's 01-04
2,385 Posts
2, one for stoppies and one for wheelies :crash

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
Shadow One said:

Damn good answer...

·
Wheelie Junkie!
7,686 Posts
I would say there is only one. Just think about the laws of physics. yes there is 2 balance points for every object, depending if it's horizontal or vertical. And your only going vertical when doing a wheelie. So in theory theres only one.
Some bikes just have a wider balance point than others. Just my 2 cents.

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
prnstar123 said:
I would say there is only one. Just think about the laws of physics. yes there is 2 balance points for every object, depending if it's horizontal or vertical. And your only going vertical when doing a wheelie. So in theory theres only one.
Some bikes just have a wider balance point than others. Just my 2 cents.
Well that's exactly what you have to do, think about the physics, there will be a spread of degrees that the balance point lies between, these are variable depending on how much weight is taken off the front by the forward thrust at the rear...

As mentioned above somewhere...

Then you have loads of variables like body position, wind, shape and weight distribution of bike, thrust from rear, constant thrust or accelerating thrust etc etc etc etc it goes on and on.....

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
There is only one balance point - it will shift slightly with different conditions.
When you go fast you have to account for headwind, if you stand up or lean back, you adjust for body weight, etc...
I am only referring to a 'true" wheelie, of course - when you can maintain a constant speed, not a power wheelie, where the acceleration is all that is holding the bike up.

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
Canuck said:
There is only one balance point - it will shift slightly with different conditions.
When you go fast you have to account for headwind, if you stand up or lean back, you adjust for body weight, etc...
I am only referring to a 'true" wheelie, of course - when you can maintain a constant speed, not a power wheelie, where the acceleration is all that is holding the bike up.
So are you telling me that a true wheelie is done at 0 mph, hahahahahahaha any wheelie depends solely on forward motion of some sort :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Only bustin your balls.....:p

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I'd say there is only 1 for a given speed and it is not past 12'oclock unless you are going backwards.

- BA

·
Registered
4 Posts
No matter what the speed, or direction of travel:p, a bike has only one vertical balancing point. This is (more or less) the position which the bike would balance on it own at a stand still with you on it, and it's considerably lower than 12:00. There's more weight above the axles than below (especially with you on it), and at 12:00, the front axle would be directly above the rear ...think about it, you'd be on you're ass in a hurry, no matter what you were doing.

This balance point does changes with your body position, and you need to compensate for the wind resistance by staying on the low side of it.

As Canuck mentioned, we're not talking about power wheelies here.... even though 99% of all wheelies are powered up. A balanced wheelie can maintain a constant speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts