Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Preordered my R1M and got it but I'm just wondering exactly how many were built and sold? I got number 065. I'm actually about to take this awesome bike out on a 5000+ mile road trip. You can look it up on indiegogo.com where I am trying to lighten some of the financial burden on my dad and I. Check it out at https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/extreme-motorcycle-trip-on-a-r1m#/

Attachments

·
Build Quality Police
924 Posts
You are never going to get an official number from Yamaha, but I believe there are at least 500 of the euro spec R1M. I have seen #443, #444 and #445 in person and they all had the euro specific (RN321) beginning of the VIN number.

·
Registered
167 Posts
No idea if they were being honest with me or if the chick at Yamaha was being honest when I called in April/May, but I was told 350 of the 500 were imported to the USA when I called corporate.

·
Build Quality Police
924 Posts
Don't forget there MIGHT be five different R1M's with the same "end" of the VIN. There are at least five known "beginnings" of the VIN depending on market:

JYARN321 = Europe
JYARN328 = Australia / Asia
JYARN40E = US except for California
JYARN40N = Canada
JYARN40Y = California

These "beginnings" of the VIN might all start from 000 001.

There has already been some controversy about this, on this forum. Couple of months ago, two forum members were arguing the ownership of bike 000 045. One forum member had an ebay ad selling 000 045, the other forum member called it a scam since he was the owner of 000 045. It turned out both had 000 045, just that one bike was JYARN40E and the other bike was JYARN40Y.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't forget there MIGHT be five different R1M's with the same "end" of the VIN. There are at least five known "beginnings" of the VIN depending on market:

JYARN321 = Europe
JYARN328 = Australia / Asia
JYARN40E = US except for California
JYARN40N = Canada
JYARN40Y = California

These "beginnings" of the VIN might all start from 000 001.

There has already been some controversy about this, on this forum. Couple of months ago, two forum members were arguing the ownership of bike 000 045. One forum member had an ebay ad selling 000 045, the other forum member called it a scam since he was the owner of 000 045. It turned out both had 000 045, just that one bike was JYARN40E and the other bike was JYARN40Y.
I have ser no 889 living in Europe. Does this mean that there were 500 + 500 = 1000 built??
I know that there were approx. 350 attending the four YRE-days in Europe.

·
Build Quality Police
924 Posts
I have ser no 889 living in Europe. Does this mean that there were 500 + 500 = 1000 built??
I know that there were approx. 350 attending the four YRE-days in Europe.
I don't know, but that means there are at least 350 of the european spec. Probably a lot more, because all of the owners did not go to the YRE-days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Talked to a Yamaha dealer i Munich, and he told me that approx. 115 R1M:s have been sold in Germany. In UK around 80-90. Sweden 11.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,013 Posts
There are probably more than 500 built. I doubt they will sell the bikes used for the magazine test rides and promotion locations. I do strongly believe that there are only 500 for public sale in the world and the rest are sitting somewhere for special people with strong ties or money for yamaha. Thats why there is not ?/500 plates on these bikes. That is my conspiracy theory.

·
Build Quality Police
924 Posts
The bikes used for early magazine tests and the bikes that were sent to accessory suppliers long before the bike was even released were all prototypes or pre-production units with completely different VIN's. These bikes never end up on the street, they are all taken back to Japan to be disassembled or crushed.

I am curious where all of this talk about the R1M being limited to 500 pcs comes from...? Is this something the american salesmen are telling potential customers...? I have never heard any Yamaha representative over here even mention a number, and it is obvious there are at least 500 bikes in Europe only. According to cidair's post above, he has got #889 of the European batch and there are bikes in Sweden in the #600 range as well. Also, there were 350 pcs of R1M's attending the YRE track days, but far from all owners attended these track days.

If the R1M was limited to a certain number, I am dead sure they would have put a plate on the triple clamp.

·
Rather be riding.
248 Posts
If the R1M was limited to a certain number, I am dead sure they would have put a plate on the triple clamp.

The USA Yamaha website for the R1M contains an 11 minute features video that contains a message indicating less than 500 units available. It's probably safe to assume it applies to U.S. models.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts