Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got the pan off and was getting ready to take out the oil pump and everything else. And I think I may have found what the knock was, the oil pump chain is so loose that if the guides it looks like it would come right off the sprokets. I know this cant be normal. It looks like it may have been slapping up against the case right where I was hearing the knock next to rod 4. How could this become so loose, or is it suppossed to be loose. I know it isnt suppossed to hit the case. What gives guys?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
martinc said:
Do the case have marks?
Excessively worn guide?
It should be pretty tight allright...
Just a little mark on the case not bad. I took the bottom guide off that connect to the bottom of the oil pump and had grooves in it from the chain slapping up against it,it almost went through it.
I havent spilt the case yet but I saw this and was like wow. I realize it needs a slight amount of free play so it deosnt overload anything. But I was like holy crap that isnt right. I may have found the source of the knock. It may not be a rod after all. But since I am this far, and I already bought plastigauge im going to check them anyway. I am going to replace the sprokets, guides and everything else to the oil pump. I am guessing it doesnt have a tensioner so with the new chain and everything it should be hve the proper free play?How could this become so worn out at 10,000 miles and everyting else be ok?I am glad it didnt snap and shoot in the cylinder or soemthing. Could excessive cluthcing for 2nd gear wheelies be the culprit? I will take a pic and post tomorrow. I have found taking apart the engine too be fairly easy. And I know it isnt going ot be difficult to put this machine back together at all. As soon as I get the plastigauge im measring the clearances of the cam journals and the rods and crank bearings. I hope everything pans out so I dont need to spend mucho dinero. Why doesnt the cams journals have bearing like the crank? . I dont think I will have any problems.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are before and after pics of me pushing the chain near the sproket. Is hangs even more higher in the motor but couldnt get the camera to get it. But you can see what I mean by these pics.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
the first pic is def. too loose

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should see the marks on the case up as little higher the chain has about 2 more inches free play. How did this happen? The sproket for the chain , could clutch up wheelies have done this? Could clutch up wheelies doen this since its all connected up there.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am so tempted to put it back together and see what happens because the case isnt split. It would save a lot of time. I am sure that is probably what it was. I really dont think it was a rod there was no metal in the oil or anything. By pushing the tops of the piston down while pushing up on th ebottom of each rod one at a time I found no Major free play. But it only takes a slight bit like a few.001 of a mm. Like I said I dont thinkit was the rod now.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
I would say put it back together and if its fixed....presto....If not you already know hoew to at least get it back down this far. besides if you dont have to split the engine this will save you alot of time and headache.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im going to go ahead and put it back together and see what happens. I just got a new morgan carbtune cant wait to use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts