Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,683 Posts
Off topic a little wheres the best and cheapest place to get dunlop or pirelli slicks?
You can only buy race tires though certain vendors. And east vs west coast is a thing for shopping

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok thanks I wasn't sure. Run slicks already just figured I would ask if there were any vendors or stores I didn't know of

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,683 Posts
Ok thanks I wasn't sure. Run slicks already just figured I would ask if there were any vendors or stores I didn't know of
I usually get mine at the track or motod.com.

They are pretty much fixed at msrp....by the mfg... no matter where you buy them.

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Why are you running Q4's on the street? They're designed for track use; odds are you won't get them up to their proper heat range on the street. Q3+'s are more than adequate.
Q4 a street legal track tire give me more grip and more safety. No need to heat them up to track or race temperature. Q3 = less grip

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Q3 tires won’t be your limiting factor, just FYI. You can drag your knees all over a track or the road for that matter on Q3+ tires. Just need to get them a bit warm (as with any super sport tire).

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Q3 tires won’t be your limiting factor, just FYI. You can drag your knees all over a track or the road for that matter on Q3+ tires. Just need to get them a bit warm (as with any super sport tire).
yea, that's good to know, and i think the compounds are the same; only difference is the Q4 more like a slick because the Q3+ has more water channels.

and someone already said this: the track schools use the q3+ type tire because it good enough and they get more miles from them

the Q4 gives me a feeling of higher security

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
On the street, the average rider can’t tell the difference between a Q3+ and Q4. Potentially someone in the slower spectrum of the advanced group, won’t be able to outride a Q3+.
This is probably pretty accurate. I rode my Q3+ tires in A group at a track day this year. Definitely can’t get on it as soon or as hard out of most corners when compared to a slick but they performed pretty damn good at that pace for what they are.

·
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #212

·
Unacceptable
1,298 Posts
i don't think i'll ever give up my Q4; it make me feel safe
And they don't last for s**t.

Really, I can't see why you're so hung up on attaining lean angle on the street. If that's your Holy Grail, at the very least sign up for a trackday where you can crank your bike over to your heart's content all day long, and not have to worry about traffic/bicyclists/road debris/cops etc.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I can see you really getting on the throttle when you start bringing the bike up.
Right. That’s where I had to back off my pace the most. Rear really sliding around with too much throttle out of turns. It was a little frustrating to pass people only to have them pass back on the exits. But it wasn’t $450 worth of slicks frustrating, ha ha. If anything it was a nice learning experience to see where some limits are. And no crashing so it’s a win.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Right. That’s where I had to back off my pace the most. Rear really sliding around with too much throttle out of turns. It was a little frustrating to pass people only to have them pass back on the exits. But it wasn’t $450 worth of slicks frustrating, ha ha. If anything it was a nice learning experience to see where some limits are. And no crashing so it’s a win.
I’d say go for the slicks. You could get several track days out of them depending on the set. I know @Tad158 get quite a few days from his rear.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I normally do run slicks at the track. Just hadn’t been to the track in a couple years and only had 1 day to do it this year. That’s the reason I was running street tires this year. Wanted to keep the bike street ready for some other rides. Just one of those things that happen in a stage of life is all. That was the reason I started that other thread (track day and street guys). Got some good advice there before it devolved into whatever it turned in to, lol. If I start doing a few track days per year again, I’ll go back to the slicks for sure.

201 - 220 of 251 Posts