Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,683 Posts
I usually need to flip the rear to get 4 ish days out of the rear slick....

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
And they don't last for s**t.

Really, I can't see why you're so hung up on attaining lean angle on the street. If that's your Holy Grail, at the very least sign up for a trackday where you can crank your bike over to your heart's content all day long, and not have to worry about traffic/bicyclists/road debris/cops etc.
no, not lean angle, speed in the corners. I started this topic to help me get faster in the curves (on the street/interstate). i never terrorize the trafffic, especially bicyclists, and i always try to keep maximum distance from everyone. yes, road debris always a big worry, that why i like the Q4.

lean angle and the wear on the tire are what tell me if i'm faster or fastest. and from glimpsing at speedometer and wear on tire i'm much faster than last year.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Calling BS on that one son. :LOL:
View attachment 1015979
did you heat that tire up with warmer, and were you at track ? and what tire pressure ?

i talk to dunlop rep at motorcycle show, he said Q4 give more grip and everyone know a slick is best (not a tire with water grooves because that means less tire on pavement).

i'm more of a beginner, and i need that extra grip for safety

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #224 (Edited)
And they don't last for s**t.
i think they the same compound as q3+; and prefer they be softer than q3+ (for safety)

edit: nice tire pics and good info

edit again: no, was wrong; dunlop rep said q4 wear faster than q3+, so yea, softer, safer tire

·
Unacceptable
1,295 Posts
i'm more of a beginner, and i need that extra grip for safety
I though so. :LOL: I once thought like you when I started riding, 30-odd years ago.

What if I told you that a competent rider could run a sport-touring tire to the edge?

If you're more of a beginner, then you're wasting your money on a track-oriented tire that's out of its proper environment. Newbies are often easily impressed and believe that they need to have the stickiest, latest and greatest tire to impress others. What they don't seem to realize is that street vs. track use places very different demands on tires. Before you waste any more time on trying to attain more lean angle, have you had your suspension properly adjusted?

·
10,683 Posts
With more grip, you are not learning what it feels like to slide the tire around.....so would you rather learn that at lower speeds on a street tire or at MUCH higher speeds on a race DOT tire.....way more risk to learn that at skill at speed.

The funny thing is that I have always been faster after I have done a wet track day, because it lets you practice at the edge of grip at low speeds and low lean angles so that your brain knows what it feels like to slide around and how to deal with it. Then when you are back in the dry and feel it sliding around....you know what to do and it is a non-issue.

To that point....my "rain tires" are a set of sport touring tires that are like an intermediate tire, when the track dried out I was within a few seconds of my PB lap....for a few laps then the tires got too hot and I had to slow down a few ticks, and switched back to the slicks. Pretty much any tire you can mount on the bike will have enough grip for spirited street riding and even a novice to slow advanced pace (for a few laps anyway). The tire is not what will hold you back. The real reason folks switch to a race tire at a race track is because they can deal with the elevated loads and temps way better and can maintain that high grip level longer, as compared to a street tire. Novice pace does not need a race tire because you are not asking for those high loads and high temps in the same way that an upper Int or Adv grp rider does, so there is NO difference in performance for the novice rider.

What you (OP) really need is a weekend at the track. You will learn more in ONE day at a track that you will learn in 1k miles of riding on the street acting like a hooligan. Double that if you did a full weekend. Honestly, you will probably leave the track feeling like you have no idea how to ride a bike, and come back for more.....at least that is how it goes for 99% of the folks who do track days.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #227 (Edited)
i think i can beat these guys (californians always showing off)

edit: "some use knee for kickstand, some use it for gauge"

·
10,683 Posts
:corn for the part out thread...

Do a track day!

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
:corn for the part out thread...

Do a track day!
this video was made for the nay sayers, the nannies. for people who never ride motorcycle and get terrified just watching, and in their emotion they say "don't do that". the video sometimes is laughable; many of the riders are mocking others deliberately; the harley rider, with tall bars, got his knee down, one sportbike rider ride with shorts t-shirt and no helmet. harley rider at 2:12. it a big giant deliberate rebellion:

·
10,683 Posts

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
if you think california bad, watch chicago, near me; and this video not the biggest

·
10,683 Posts
if you think california bad, watch chicago, near me
I think it's bad to glorify hooligans....

Nobody here said you can't scrub out a rear on the street, or you can't drag knee on the street... we have said take it to the track you will learn more in a way safer environment.

Usually we try and promote conscientious riding, which is why we keep telling you to take it to the track.

Reactions: iamzombie

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
I think it's bad to glorify hooligans....

Nobody here said you can't scrub out a rear on the street, or you can't drag knee on the street... we have said take it to the track you will learn more in a way safer environment.

Usually we try and promote conscientious riding, which is why we keep telling you to take it to the track.
and that's ok. i learn plenty here. what the message of the video ? anything is ok. some of them look like track rejects (were kicked off track). some got tinted windshield same color as bike (i don't like tinted shield). best riders i saw were wearing one piece race suit (for safety); some make fun of the race suit. dog on sportbike wearing goggles at 1:34. big big fat guy has stomach on tank all the time (no choice) 3:42

that california, always being different; and being a biker is a little about being different

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Guess it proves there's a difference between age and maturity.
as a rule, i never terrorize the traffic; always try to be polite to every vehicle. don't think i would ever attend a large gathering of bikes hogging the street and terrorizing drivers, and i think too, all of us sportbike riders have done something to irritate others (did you ever switch mufflers)

if you visit harley dealer, most shoppers there got some gray hair.

often i hear a young sportbike rider say he selling bike because baby on the way; so many riders often wait until after kid is off to college or has job and on its own to go back to riding again.

harley says their sales are down because young people won't buy bike

221 - 240 of 250 Posts