Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my R1 and it is pretty much stock, except for a few cosmetic parts. Right now my funds allow me to purchase either a full system exhaust with PC, or a track suit...What do you guys think? Track riding, or piping upgrade? Also for those who have a full system with remap (seems like most do on this forum hehe), how much of a difference did you feel? Is it significantly noticable? Thanx in advance.

· Booya
34,924 Posts
OMG...:lol :lol

You can't honestly be serious.

Leathers brotha...leathers. WTF, you are debating your life vs 2hp gains? Get real. Suit your ass up, ride the bike, take it to the track and then have fun. You'll see when at the track that quite a few guys run stock shit on their bikes when it comes to anything but suspension and handling performance mods. You'll impress no one there if your bike has Akra pipes on it, but you are in shorts and a tshirt. You will impress them by having a stock bike and riding the track like you own the place. :fact THEN...get some goodies for the bike to make it quicker.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have proper gear (boots, riding pants, gloves, helmet), but it falls a little short to track regulations. Yeah I cant wait to go to the track, but I was wondering if the pipe upgrade does make a significant difference.

· Booya
34,924 Posts
I have proper gear (boots, riding pants, gloves, helmet), but it falls a little short to track regulations. Yeah I cant wait to go to the track, but I was wondering if the pipe upgrade does make a significant difference.
Depends on what you consider a significant difference. Spending upwards of 1-2000 dollars for a few horsepower is all going to be personal preference. Espeically, and no lie, there are plenty of others on here that will tell you same thing. Go to the track with proper gear and have them teach you how to ride faster. You probably don't even know how fast the bike is right now when it's really riden. not poking fun, just saying. Lots of guys here that visit the track regularly will tell ya that ever time they go out they learn something new and find new ways to go faster, something that 5hp gains from a pipe will do nothing for.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea ur right, it took me awhile to get used to the 600. I am thinking if I should get accustomed for a few months to street riding with the R1 before taking it to the track. In the mean time I was just wondering from personal testimonies if it is worth it to get a pipe. Yea, cuz $2000 aint cheap :dollar...btw I am a student :no

· Booya
34,924 Posts
I have to agree with Zach. Get the leathers and screw street riding.
I dont' think i'll ever give up street riding...but I ride totally different than I used to on the road, and am probably going to pick up my own VTX one of these days for just dickn around and enjoying the world for what it is. The R1 and subsequent bikes will be reserved for track riding or Gap/Canyon trips.

BTW, how do you like the Avatar George?

yea ur right, it took me awhile to get used to the 600. I am thinking if I should get accustomed for a few months to street riding with the R1 before taking it to the track. In the mean time I was just wondering from personal testimonies if it is worth it to get a pipe. Yea, cuz $2000 aint cheap :dollar...btw I am a student :no
You aren't helping your case. :lol

The track will help you learn to ride the bike for what it is...you will learn more skills on the track than you could on the road. Not saying to give up street riding all-together, that will be up to you, but to go to the track as soon as you can and to not be afraid to learn new things on the bike.

No one will also be able to give you a personal testimony of what their exhaust and tune did, it will be totally subjective. I have an Akra system and tune and ya it changed a few things, but nothing that a simple gear change woudlnt' have done for "power" feelings. I did it before the bike became a track bitch and wouldnt' do it again...at least right away. If you have the money to burn, then it probably is worth it, but if you have to choose between what you are saying above, then i'd say no it's not worth it. In the end though dude, it's still you bike and you'll need to figure it out for yourself. I stand by leaving it stock and buying the leathers. Actually try this maybe, get the PCIII, get a pro tune on it with the stock system...it will change the way the bike acts just by that, and you should still have cash left over for the leathers and possibly a sooner rather than later track day.

Whatever you do man, stay safe!

· Booya
34,924 Posts
It's classic Brudda!! :hammer::hammer:
Figured you'd be happier with it, and thought it fit rather well with this forum. :sneaky:sneaky

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for all your inputs and encouragement hehe! Part of the reason for getting the truck so I can haul my bike to the track. Apart from the suit, there are still costs here and there for track days, such as: new tires, prep works, track fees, and etc. I am thinking if I spend my limited $$$ on the pipe, I probably would not go to the track in awhile.

· Registered
329 Posts
You don't need to spend $2K on leathers or on full exhaust. Get a decent track suit, but don't overspend. Take the rest of the money and spend it on track days, and tires. Lots of good sticky tires.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.