Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well folks, I finally got it in the mail the other day. I have been meaning to install it sooner but work got in the way. In order to accoplish this install you are going to need a volt meter (I have a Fluke 77BN), some tapins, some butt connectors, zipties, velcro, patience, and something to wash your hands with since you may get some chain grease on your hands and arm.
You may also want to get some beer because there is nothing better that working on your bike and drinking a brew :beer
First off is a picture of the unit itself. It comes with the SpeedoHealer unit, the pigtail, 4 zipties, and 4 pieces of shrink wrap.

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is yet another closeup of the unit but this time with a quater to give you a refrence as to its size

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fist thing to do is locate the speed sensor on the R1. To do that you are going to have to lift the tank and look on the right side near the frame. The connector you are looking for has 3 wires, is white in color, and trialgular in shape. The arrow points to it in this picture

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, diconnect that speed sensor and pull the cable out from behind the engine and towards the left side of the bike. This will give you more room to work on since the Speed Sensor is located on the left side of the engine.

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When you buy the unit it does not come with the instructions in the package. You need to go to www.speedohealer.com and download them. I would reccoment printing them so you can refrence them as needed. I went through all the trouble already to save you some time since the instructions are generic. Dont get me wrong, the instructions are really informative but I think that way I am doing it makes it a little easier because we all know how much we love pictures.

Anyhow, first thing is to figure out wich one of the 3 wires that go to the speed sensor is the ground wire. Well, that would be the back one with the white stripe. I used a tapin with a bullet connector like this one.

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
These things are a piece of cake to use. All you need to do is clamp the black wire in the tapin and crimp the bullet connector to the black wire of the speedo healer pigtail. Then connect the two. It should look like this:

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now for the signal wire. The signal wire is pink in color. Find this wire and cut it in two. Yep... I said cut it :)
Crimp a butt connector to either end of the pink wire

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now you are ready to connect the input (yellow) and output (blue) cables from the SeedoHealer pigtail. The input refers to the signal comming from the speed sensor and output refers to the signal going to the ECU. The spedo healer adjust this signal to correct any spedometer error due to changing sprockets and such.
Connec the yellow wire from the SH pigtail to the pink wire that leads to the speed sensor. Connect the blue one to the pink wire that leads to the connector. Then crimp them in place.

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a good time to check the continuity of your connections to make sure they were done correctly. Dont forget to check the ground cable too :)

Once you make sure that the connections are good, go ahead and tape that sucker up

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Route the bable back the way you got it out and recconect the speed sensor.

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you looked at the instructions, there is a picture that shows a generic picture of the ECU, speed sensor, and the spedo healer showing you where the cables attach. Well, if you have been paying attention so far you may have noticed that we have yet to do anythign with the red cable. The red cable is the power cable for the SH unit. Here is where we run into a little problem. The Yamaha R1 does not use 12VDC for the speed sensor, it used 5VDC so we need to seek an alternate source of power. But that is ok though. I have a nice and convinient spot to get the 12V's from.
Wat I did was route the SH pigtail along the right side of the bike, up the subframe so I can mount the SH at the very back end of the trunk. Well, at the part that the pigtail is near the battery I cut a little piece of the sheeth that surrounds the pigtail cables and pulled the red wire through it. I used another tapin and this time I tapped into the blue wire with greed dots that is on the left side of the battery tray. This is the same wire that powers the licence plate light (wich I dont use). You can use virtually any 12V supply that you can find but I would choose one that is switched (turns off when the key is off) and I caution you on using the positive terminal of the battery. Better yet, dont think of using the battery, no matter how tempting it is

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is how I routed the pigtail. Looks amost like the trunk release cable :)

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And finally, the moment we have all bee waiting for. Here is where I mouted the unit.

Attachments

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is kinda a pain in the ass to get to the SH unit where I put it with the tail section back on but the way I see it, once I have it set up I wont need to mess with it much.
Here are some usefull links:
www.speedohealer.com
Installation manual
User's Manual

A big thank you goes out to Norbert from speedohealer.com for answeing all my question. I swear he is on his compuer almost as long as I am :lol
Hit him up if you want to get your hands on one of these puppies

Thanks Norbert :thumbup

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
Thanks for the info....... of course it just re-affirms my decision on which speedo calibrator to use, as the install was an inline connector under the tank and 1 12v switched splice.

I used radar to calibrate mine, I figured good enough for the cops, good enough for me!

Give us an update when you're finished....:rock

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
great pics shadow! one thing I've gotta ask and it might have already been answered. A SH? is that to give your true speed on your speedo when you gain a tooth or 2 in back? or is it one of those cpu distorters' that throw off the rpm gadge so you can acquire more top end?

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
ImagineParadise said:
great pics shadow! one thing I've gotta ask and it might have already been answered. A SH? is that to give your true speed on your speedo when you gain a tooth or 2 in back? or is it one of those cpu distorters' that throw off the rpm gadge so you can acquire more top end?

It modifies the output of the Hall-Effect sensor for the speedo. That way you can adjust it for accuracy.

Or not if you have a ZX-12R. A quick and easy way to get around the 186mph limit on the 12R is to make the speedo read low for the actual speed. :fact

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ImagineParadise said:
RUFFSTUFF pretty much covered it but I will put it in my own terms.
What the SpeedHealer does is take an input from your speed sensor. Let say this input corresponds to a speed of 100 MPH. Now, let also assume that you went out and compared yoru speedo to a GPS or any of the other methods to check to see how far off your speedo is and you come up with a correction of 10%. The SH, inturn, adjusts the signal to the ECU by the correction factor which will then be shown on the Spedometer

The SpeedoHealer is very accurate (.05%) but the real test will be how accurate will your measurements be :music487

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This unit can also hel out any friends you may have with Hayabusas that have changes their spedo face plate to the one that goes up to 220mph :)
Oh, and like RUFFSTUFF said, you can make it read much lower on purpose to "bypass" top end limiters too :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts