Sub'ed. TTX in the mail :jump

·
RLTW!
819 Posts
so helpful!

·
Registered
119 Posts
So you can do this job without supporting the whole bike? I've always figured that if you have the bike on a rear stand, and remove the shock, that the tail and swingarm will compress, as there is no shock to keep the distance. Am I wrong on that?

·
RLTW!
819 Posts
So you can do this job without supporting the whole bike? I've always figured that if you have the bike on a rear stand, and remove the shock, that the tail and swingarm will compress, as there is no shock to keep the distance. Am I wrong on that?
No, you're right. Just get the jack out of your car's trunk, put a small piece of plywood between the jack and the bike and presto! I recommend putting the bike on front and rear stands, then using the jack. Leave the stands in place for stability. You will see the stands become "un-loaded" as you jack it up.

As you are un-bolting your old suspension, and putting the new one in, use the jack to make slight changes in order get your holes to line up. At no point in this entire process should you have to use any force to pull a bold or put one in....

·
Redistribution Supplier
718 Posts
Using this thread as a guide(Thanks OP),I made a few changes to holding the bike up.

Here is what I did to get my shock out,not saying which method is right or wrong just another option.

Picked up a piece of 3/8 rod at Lowes and ran it through the swingarm pivot hole,jack stands and some wood under the tire to keep it in place and a front stand.

I hope installing the new one is just as easy.

Shameless shot of the new exhaust test fitting which I am installing as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a question if anyone can help me, after taking the rear shock out, there are two bushings, the lower one is movable and smooth, but the upper one seems to be stuck or binded up? does the top one even move? i have two R1 shocks with me and they both seem to be binded up. does any one know? thanks in advance!

·
Getting there!
133 Posts
Doing the same thing myself tomorrow, know the post is older but can anyone tell me if I hve to remove the entire gas tank? Or can I just have someone hold it up for me. Never have really removed it completly off the bike.

·
Registered
817 Posts
This write up was a lot of help. I did however have to do some additional bracing with ratchet straps on the subframe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
excellent post used to put 4c8 shock on my 5vy
was also told to put a 3mm washer under the top mount has anyone on here heard of or used this 3mm washer thanks in advance

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
22 Participants
chrismed
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing