Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is helpful if your stator ever needs replacing. Long story short, I had a small oil leak caused by shoddy dealer work a year ago. So as i had everything taken off, I might as well get this one done too. While in there, I checked on the entire generator assembly. Be careful taking this apart as collars and washers can fall into the case, then you'll have to take the entire exhaust and oil pan off to fish it out. Don't ask me how I know... :dundun:

Tools needed:
5mm allen wrench
6mm allen wrench
10mm allen wrench
14mm socket - i'll explain later
new generator cover gasket
new o-ring
new motor oil for lubrication

Note for each step of the build add a nice coating of engine oil to the parts

Pic 1, from the manual for disassembly
Pic 2, the generator assembly
Pic 3, the parts taken apart and cleaned with wd40, note the stator is bolted onto the generator cover
Pic 4, parts assembled in order for reinstall
Pic 5, dampers inserted into the drive gear
Pic 6, drive gear then mated to the rotor, make sure to get a snug fit
Pic 7, add washer, not pictured, then the starter clutch drive gear, when on it'll spin only in one direction. Add collar, 1 of 2 but both have different diameters, will give a very snug fit.
Pic 8, add 2nd washer
Pic 9, last collar one side is flat and the other beveled inward to mate with the rotor shaft. Flat end faces out. The o-ring to replace is inside the collar. You'll need an exacto to get the old one out.
Pic 10, how it should look, completely assembled before reinstalling back into the engine.

Attachments

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To slide the assembled unit in, aim for the hole that will be visible where the rotor shaft mates up. If you get it in a little bit but then doesn't go in all the way, the crankshaft gear is off a little, so open the crankshaft access on the right side, 2nd pic, and insert a socket to the crank, give it a good notch turn, you'll feel it, go back and push in. If it doesn't go in, give it another crank. Then when the gears line up, it'll slide right in. Can't find my pic but this is a before and after pic from the manual.

To reinstall the cover, place pins and gasket on the clean interface. Cover will slide right on. Add some silicone to the part where the rubber connector mates up. Tighten in a criss-cross pattern to the proper torque. Last screw back in the plug with the 10mm allen. and you're done.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
very helpfull

I agree great writeup, it came in very usefull. Do you have any suggestion to get those three inside screws that connect the stator to the generator itself off. They seem to be impossible to get off, but again I am trying to be carefull so that I dont strip the heads of those screws.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Great write up, just be really carefull that none of the dampers fall inside. I had two of them fall out... i had to remove the oil pan to find the little suckers.

·
My bike and I R1
2,539 Posts
Why didn't I see this before I did my swap last night. I was fighting with getting it to slip in. I was sliding it in, then taking it out to turn the gears slightly and repeating that until it went in. DOH

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its magnetic so you have to move it slowly off of the generator.

·
Citius, Altius, Fortius
1,151 Posts
Ok so i replaced the damaged parts and now when I got to start the bike I hear the what sounds like the generator spinning but it does nothing. No cranking...nothing..... WTH do i do now =(

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a washer and bearing that only spins in one direction. Partof the damaged bit you showed previously. That part must only spin 1 way. Is that the case?

·
Citius, Altius, Fortius
1,151 Posts
Tried to bump start it this morning and it didn't go.
I pulled it back out and everything looks fine but now it won't lock up like its supposed to do when you turn it one way. Gona see if I can get that part somewhere today :rant

Would that keep it from bump starting though? When the problem first occurred before I took it apart it bump started just fine. Is it possible that I turned the crankshaft too much when trying to get the gears aligned?

·
Banned
356 Posts
Tried to bump start it this morning and it didn't go.
I pulled it back out and everything looks fine but now it won't lock up like its supposed to do when you turn it one way. Gona see if I can get that part somewhere today :rant

Would that keep it from bump starting though? When the problem first occurred before I took it apart it bump started just fine. Is it possible that I turned the crankshaft too much when trying to get the gears aligned?
Bring the bike, parts and tools to the Gap. :fact

It will get fixed and running with that group. :rock

·
My girlfriend rides a Ninja...
25 Posts
There is a washer and bearing that only spins in one direction. Partof the damaged bit you showed previously. That part must only spin 1 way. Is that the case?
Kangaroo, I'm sorry I know this is an old post but I'm doing the stator on my 06 today...

Is there supposed to be any oil in the area of the rotor/stator? I took mine apart initially because of poor starting and a lack of ideas after replacing the battery and testing everything with a meter.

All of the components look good with little to no wear but there was oil in there.

Got everything all cleaned up and I'm getting ready to replace the o-ring and gasket and put it all back together... SHOULD I ALLOW ANY OIL BETWEEN THE STATOR AND ROTOR?

Thanks, great post btw.

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes oil will splash up in that area including between the stator and rotor.

·
My girlfriend rides a Ninja...
25 Posts
yes oil will splash up in that area including between the stator and rotor.
Sorry to reopen this but I see you helping riders on this site a lot with great success so I hope you don't mind... BTW after looking more closely at the stator assembly I could easily see it wasn't meant to be sealed from oil I was just hoping I'd found my problem. Sorry to ask an easily answered question.

Back to the starting issue. So far I've done the following:

1. Tested old battery with bike off/at idle/5000rpm and got correct values for battery and charging system voltages

2. Checked every connection I can find, including my PCIII, aftermarket lighting, and every factory wire I can see with the tank removed for shorts/grounds.

3. replaced battery anyway (5 year old Yusa at this point) with Shorai battery. noticed SLIGHT improvement in cranking but still far less than there should be with no luck turning the bike over.

4. opened up stator/starter clutch. everything looks brand new. replacing o-rings on starter clutch and inspectiong port along with gasket as soon as they get to my local dealer (hopefully tomorrow)

5. visually inspected contacts on regulator wiring harness. everything clean and making contact, no burnt connections

My bike bump starts fine but there's nothing more embarrassing than having someone tell you "sweet bike" and replying "yeah, when it starts..." only to run down the street in front of them and bump it hahaha

Where can I go from here? The ONLY thing I can think of is knowing that I put wayyy too much wax on my chain a few weeks ago without thinking and that it could somehow have gummed everything up giving higher starting resistance? I think it's a long shot and I can't remember exactly when the problem started in relation to the waxing but at this point I'm clutching at straws. I'm an engineer by trade and have no problem troubleshooting with some guidance or diving into my own repairs, I'm just new to the R1 (last season) and getting sick of coming up empty with answers in the middle of riding season here in MA...

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have a thread started on this? Have you tried jump starting with a car/truck battery?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
20 Participants
ahelmsdeep
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing