Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
My girlfriend rides a Ninja...
25 Posts
Do you have a thread started on this? Have you tried jump starting with a car/truck battery?
No thread started on this but I'm beginning to see it's more involved than I had hoped. I will copy and paste that last post into a new thread, feel free to offer your $.02 there if you'd be so kind...

Jumping off a car battery had no luck with the old Yusa battery. The Shorai is advertised as a super battery and tested fine out of the box before I tried it. That's why I was thinking it was more stator/starter related than anything...

I'll post the thread in 04-06 mechanical help in a few hours, have to run out and help my brother with his car real quick. Thanks for taking the time to respond

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
disconnect the bike battery and attach directly to the car battery with the jumpers. This is to test the starter relay, starter, etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys!
just a little tip for those experencing the issue of fallen pieces into the oil pan that could save you from having to remove it...
I glued a magnet on a straw and after 5 min I managed to caught the fallen collar!
hope it'll help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pic 1, from the manual for disassembly
Pic 2, the generator assembly
Pic 3, the parts taken apart and cleaned with wd40, note the stator is bolted onto the generator cover
Pic 4, parts assembled in order for reinstall
Pic 5, dampers inserted into the drive gear
Pic 6, drive gear then mated to the rotor, make sure to get a snug fit
Pic 7, add washer, not pictured, then the starter clutch drive gear, when on it'll spin only in one direction. Add collar, 1 of 2 but both have different diameters, will give a very snug fit.
Pic 8, add 2nd washer
Pic 9, last collar one side is flat and the other beveled inward to mate with the rotor shaft. Flat end faces out. The o-ring to replace is inside the collar. You'll need an exacto to get the old one out.
Pic 10, how it should look, completely assembled before reinstalling back into the engine.
i pulled my stator apart today which way does the 1 way collar turn after installing? i got mine turning clockwise if your looking at it from the gear side of it. hopefully it's right i just need someone to help me verify. thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I needed it and used it last night. I got everything pieced back together, but may have got ahead of my self with the collar. I do not know which way it went back in, but the whole assembly slid in fine.

I started the bike up and it ran, but was making a high pitch squeal. I cut it off and cranked it a couple more time and same result. I even smelled burning rubber at one point. I decided to take it apart again, but when I removed the cover, only the stator came out; the flywheel was locked in place and I could not remove it by hand.

Any advice? Is that squeal normal for the first few starts?

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
probably the o-ring burning up. take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Kangaroo, in your 3rd picture, you have a washer laying on the stator cover gasket. You recall where that goes? I have mine apart and can't figure out where it goes.

·
37,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
part 14 or part 9... It's been a while.:crash

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks for replying kangaroo. I appreciate it. But it can't be either of those. I never pulled the bearing out of the cover, so it's not number 9. And number 14 is a very small washer. & I never pulled that gear off. This washers like the size of a half dollar. Hopefully somebody knows. Or at least can tell me that it doesn't belong anywhere on the stator and I just put a washer in with the rest of the parts and don't remember/recall where it came from.

·
James, TX
7 Posts
This tells me I can stop digging through my crankcase through the small oil pan openings and fishing with a mirror and light! Thanks for the write up, the numbered and detailed pics are exactly what I needed!!! Why does it say o-ring on the parts ordering catalogs between the collars/sleeves?

·
James, TX
7 Posts
thanks for replying kangaroo. I appreciate it. But it can't be either of those. I never pulled the bearing out of the cover, so it's not number 9. And number 14 is a very small washer. & I never pulled that gear off. This washers like the size of a half dollar. Hopefully somebody knows. Or at least can tell me that it doesn't belong anywhere on the stator and I just put a washer in with the rest of the parts and don't remember/recall where it came from.
What's your issue since I only had a few things fall off? I'm fresh into this so it's all apart.... right now. How can I help you if not too late(didnt look at post date)

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
i pulled my stator apart today which way does the 1 way collar turn after installing? i got mine turning clockwise if your looking at it from the gear side of it. hopefully it's right i just need someone to help me verify. thanks!
What's the answer to this ??? Is there a one way collar in there?? The write up said nothing about this?? Going to be installing a updated rotor in the near future and need to know if there is a one way collar that was not mentioned??? Also after removing the cover with attached stator does this whole rotor just slide out??? If so how do you keep everything from falling off its shaft and down into the crankcase while sliding it out?? Looks to me like if I was to slide the rotor out I'm taking a chance of everything not coming with it then falling down into the oil pan?? Please someone that knows let me know. Thanks.

·
I FEEL THE NEED...FOR SPEED.
205 Posts
The service manual shows how to, must be 2 guys to take the generator off imo, one is holding the rotor in place and the other is pulling the stator and the cover.
With this way you don't have to worry for fallen parts in the engine. Magnets are way to strong for one guy to take the generator off in the right way imo.
See this video How to, the way they put it together the right way (jump at 1:54), same way is when you thy to remove it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What was your secret to getting the stator off. I took the cover off but cannot for the life of me get the stator to come off. Used a pulley puller but that didn't work. Got the 02 R1

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
Ain't the 02 the one that has threads in the center where you run a bolt into the threads and it then presses the rotor off?? Look in you tube there are videos.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
Guys on the 04/06 r1 I got my updated version rotor and am going to install this weekend. My bike has very low miles. Just turned 1000 miles today. What's the chances I'll be able to reuse the cover gasket???

·
I FEEL THE NEED...FOR SPEED.
205 Posts
The gasket will probably tear apart when you'll open it after so many years, so your chances are limited.
You can use a Gasket Sealant / Flange Sealant instead, if you don't want to bye a new gasket.
Did this to my bike because after a few miles I'll re open the cover to check the rotor again so didn't want to use a new gasket.
I Have no leakes thou. :yesnod

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
Well I found the gasket but I can't seem to find the o ring that's also needed and it #9 in his pics a little oring he said he had to use a exacto knife to remove from the collar?? Gonna have to try and find one.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
20 Participants
ahelmsdeep
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing