Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1078 Posts

·
Gilmour
1,188 Posts
What a pain in the ass.. Took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs or so... But that's with my OCD of cleaning everything I come in contact with along the way..

·
burnin' up the streets
8,786 Posts
What a pain in the ass.. Took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs or so... But that's with my OCD of cleaning everything I come in contact with along the way..
Well at least you got a good chance to clean areas that would have otherwise been off limits!

·
assfault junkies
1,949 Posts
True.... It's clean to collect more dust in the garage..... :lol

F U cold weather
I hear that my bikes been put up for more than a month. Pheasent season is pretty much over been riding the old snowmobile around but, even that sucks after a few day
F U cold weather.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Harbor freight had a little Allen head ratcheting wrench made by "Pittsburg". Only cost a few bucks and made the job 10x easier. Did it all in 1.5 hrs but my fairings were already off. No busted knuckles either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just finished this as well as a plug change. What a pain in the ass when you only have a L shaped 5mm Allen key. Anyway all done now.

I don't know if I'll see much difference but the plug change was a whole lot easier.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
My R1 needs me
9 Posts
Just did this mod on my 06 and I took the radiator out completely, which was a piece of piss to do. Very easy after that with lots of room to work with just using a normal size 5mm allen key.

Made up a quick drawing in Autocad and then shot my own plates out of 3mm thick ground flat stainless on the waterjet machine we have here. That small pin that sticks up, ground those ****ers off rather than trying to drill the plates I made.
I could shoot a load more and sell them for 10$ a pair but the shipping cost from Thailand would make the whole plan pointless!:hammer:
Changed out the allen heads for normal hex heads same as the guy at the top of the page.

Cleaned the dead bugs out of the rad and freshened up the coolant.

Gonna whip out the xup tomorrow........

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
I followed the directions from Graves. Just moved the radiator a bit. 1.5 hours going really slow and careful, but I quit after the fourth bolt was tight. I will finish tomorrow night.

This tool made the job go very quick.

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Pretty much. It basically has silver inserts that hold different size bits. It is pretty much useless unless you need to get an allen wrench bit (or other type bit) into a really tight space. Never had that situation until now. :D

1041 - 1060 of 1078 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
334 Participants
Arxagelos
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing