Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1061 - 1078 of 1078 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Once you gain access to the smog plates, it is 1/8'' turns to back out the socket head cap screws. Took me 15 minutes to get to them and 2 hours to back them out. It sucks BIG TIME.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Old thread revived...

In case anyone needs it...

Here's a link to my 04-06 DIY Smog plate install.
Use your original plates. Total cost $2

KC's DIY smog blockoff plate Mod
I've seen this thread before. Thanks for the post. I removed my left (left when sitting on the bike) smog plate fairly easily. The right side is a freaking nightmare. Day 2.... about 1/2 turn in the last hour.

·
Do it once.. Do it right!
46 Posts
I've seen this thread before. Thanks for the post. I removed my left (left when sitting on the bike) smog plate fairly easily. The right side is a freaking nightmare. Day 2.... about 1/2 turn in the last hour.
Performed this work on mine soon after I brought the bike. Always give a good once over to any bike I purchase used - check valve clearance, sync throttle bodies, fluid change, blah blah....
Gas tank was off, fairings removed, radiator out of the way. Was easy to do at that point.

But you don't the fancy engraved G that way... :p
I know!! What was I thinking??
I should have stamped my initials in it for that real go fast look.. :)

·
Geoff Falconar
19 Posts
I used a good quality mini hex bit ratchet set like the one in the attached pic. It took about 1 minute per screw. I had pulled the rad away, so was easy going. Yes, the screws were in there tight, but once they broke loose, the ratchet made quick work of it. Well worth the $20 at Lowe's to buy that little kit.

Attachments

·
Oh Well
12 Posts
I upgraded my exhaust and got some popping from the pipes and shooting a little flame, even more so on hard deceleration... Cool, not so much, very hard on the packing material in the mufflers.

So, I removed the (Air Injection System) AIS, Solenoid, hoses, reed valves and baskets and installed BP AIS Block-off plates. Perfect, very little popping and no flames. And I lost the off/on-throttle hesitation.

I went ahead and removed the Charcoal Canister as long as I had the Air Box removed; Changed the Spark Plugs and cleaned the Air Filter while I was at it.

Ed

Going fast is only half of the fun... You get to build it first.

Attachments

·
Geoff Falconar
19 Posts
...I went ahead and removed the Charcoal Canister as long as I had the Air Box removed; Changed the Spark Plugs and cleaned the Air Filter while I was at it....
There's a charcoal canister? I totally missed that. Where?

·
I FEEL THE NEED...FOR SPEED.
205 Posts
Ok guys, just finish remove my ais and install the block plates(change my spark plugs to after that).
I had just a quick noob question, What we do with the ais connector I show in the picture in red arror, just leave it unplugged?

Attachments

·
Geoff Falconar
19 Posts
Ok guys, just finish remove my ais and install the block plates(change my spark plugs to after that).
I had just a quick noob question, What we do with the ais connector I show in the picture in red arror, just leave it unplugged?
For the electrical connector:

1.) Just cover end with electrical tape (put one piece up one side, across top, then down other side; then wrap 1 piece around to hold it there).

2.) Use a nylon zip tie or electrical tape to secure it to something like other wiring so it does not rub against engine or come into contact with coil wires or anything.

1061 - 1078 of 1078 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
334 Participants
Arxagelos
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing