1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
R1-014 Dragon Squadron #200
2,555 Posts
Thanks for the link Ben, i'm still trying to figure out what happened to my fans on my 04, I'm still thinking its the relay, just haven't had a chance to check it yet. I'm thinking of just saying screw it and setting up the manual switch

·
D.N.F.
4,265 Posts
Great write up!, but in the last paragraph of the Electric Fan Switch Installation Tutorial it says, "I put the switch behind the taillight on the small fairing piece."
Shouldn't it say "headlight"? :dunno

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably...I didn't write it, I just put it somewhere where everyone could find it. You can put the switch where ever it suits you.

·
1up5down
138 Posts
There is no point to this, whatsoever. The fan only is functional when coolant is flowing. When the bike is off, there is no coolant flowing. The fan itself will not cool anything off.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
There is no point to this, whatsoever. The fan only is functional when coolant is flowing. When the bike is off, there is no coolant flowing. The fan itself will not cool anything off.
Sorry but you are missing the point. Its a very useful mod if you find yourself stopped in traffic. The bike heats up and fans don't come on until about 106 deg. With this mod you flick the switch and the fans stay on until you turn the switch off keeping the bike significantly cooler when in slow moving or stopped traffic.

So, there really is a point to this mod. :fact

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry but you are missing the point. Its a very useful mod if you find yourself stopped in traffic. The bike heats up and fans don't come on until about 106 deg. With this mod you flick the switch and the fans stay on until you turn the switch off keeping the bike significantly cooler when in slow moving or stopped traffic.

So, there really is a point to this mod. :fact
:fact
Absolutely.
I have a switch on my 01 and my 06, and I haven't seen temps above 95 since. :thumbup

·
2,555 Posts
As long as your relay is good, yes, they will still come on at 220F Degrees. You are just creating a parallel circuit to the relay to manually turn the relay on.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Any one know how to make it so you fans will automatically come one and turn off even if you have your ignition to the off position?

·
2,555 Posts
Any one know how to make it so you fans will automatically come one and turn off even if you have your ignition to the off position?
Instead of wiring the switch through the relay, you would wire a switch directly to the motorcycle's battery. That would allow you to turn the fans on and off when the ignition is off.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Here is the problem, I need it to do it automatically or else I will forget about it. :( I ride home and when I get home the bike is about 210 to 215. Most of the time I leave the key on and let the fans run and get the key out 20 min later, some time I forget and have a dead battery the next day.

·
R1der
4,014 Posts
Here is the problem, I need it to do it automatically or else I will forget about it. :( I ride home and when I get home the bike is about 210 to 215. Most of the time I leave the key on and let the fans run and get the key out 20 min later, some time I forget and have a dead battery the next day.
well from what i know, the fan automatic module works through the ecu. so if you wanted it to work like it turn on at around 220 and turn off around 205. then that would be hard.

maybe you can by a timer switch ? and do what BLU said.

·
2,555 Posts
IMO when you get home, even if the bike is hot, there really isn't any need to leave the fans running. The bike will cool itself off, however as King mentioned the Automatic Fan controller is held within the ECU, and there is no way to "automatically" turn the fans on and off when the ignition is off. The only way is setting up a timed circuit, that is connected to your battery and shuts itself off after a certain amount of time. I don't know what you're running for coolant, but i'd do a flush, and then get distilled water with some water wetter, to see if that helps the bike run a bit cooler.

·
2,555 Posts
^^^ You could put an external temp switch on one of the coolant lines.
True, but is going through all of that really worth it? IMO, run good clean coolant and use a manual switch when the bike is running, once the bike is off, and as long as its going to stay off for more than 15-20 minutes, i don't see the need in running the fans after the bike is shut down.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Thanks for the info it just worries me cuz I turn it back on once and it was at 245ish :(. My ride home is 45 min on the freeway with out side temp right now at about 97. then a 5min side streets.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
27 Participants
NZ_R1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing