Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
R1-014 Dragon Squadron #200
2,555 Posts
245 is a scary temp, and happens, but the problem is, once the bike is off, running the fans doesn't cool anything off except for the water in the radiator, and that isn't really going to do anything to help cool off the motor. Besides, i've seen high temps like that right after shutting the bike off and turning it back on again, but it immediately drops to 200-210 range, i always figured it might just be an occasional mis-read from the temp sensor. Then i followed Roo's how to found here: DIY Radiator Flush and the bike has been running much cooler. Add a gutted cat and manual fan switch, and you can really help bring the temps down overall.

·
My R1 eats my $.
548 Posts
Just get a large fan that stays in front of where you park the bike. When you get home just turn on the large fan. I'll do that with my girlfriends GS500F because it's air/oil cooled. Then you don't have to worry about doing the switch and it will cool the whole bike, not just the radiator.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Blu916, thanks for the info, I would think the fans would cool the engine a little due to it pushing air past the block.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It seems like every bike forum has some sort of "how to" thread on installing a manual radiator fan switch. Honestly, I don't get it. Ultimately, the goal of an engine cooling system is to get the oil and internals to an optimum temperature as fast as possible and then keep it as close to that temperature as possible. That temperature is different for each engine/setup. What makes everyone think that 245 degrees is too hot for the engine to handle? Frankly, I think the team of guys that designed these bikes probably have a bit of experience designing engines and have likely done a fair amount of testing to determine what the optimum temperature for these engines is. Why do you think the fans are programmed to turn on at about 220 degrees?

All of that said, what the engineers decided was an optimum coolant temperature for this engine may not have been decided purely from a performance/longevity standpoint, but was also likely determined in part by emissions laws. So I do suppose that the optimum temperature for performance may be a little cooler, but how do you make that determination?

·
R1-014 Dragon Squadron #200
2,555 Posts
Just get a large fan that stays in front of where you park the bike. When you get home just turn on the large fan. I'll do that with my girlfriends GS500F because it's air/oil cooled. Then you don't have to worry about doing the switch and it will cool the whole bike, not just the radiator.
Great suggestion! :fact

Blu916, thanks for the info, I would think the fans would cool the engine a little due to it pushing air past the block.
Those fans are pushing hot air from the radiator to the block, what if any benefit it is would be hard to determine.

It seems like every bike forum has some sort of "how to" thread on installing a manual radiator fan switch. Honestly, I don't get it. Ultimately, the goal of an engine cooling system is to get the oil and internals to an optimum temperature as fast as possible and then keep it as close to that temperature as possible. That temperature is different for each engine/setup. What makes everyone think that 245 degrees is too hot for the engine to handle? Frankly, I think the team of guys that designed these bikes probably have a bit of experience designing engines and have likely done a fair amount of testing to determine what the optimum temperature for these engines is. Why do you think the fans are programmed to turn on at about 220 degrees?

All of that said, what the engineers decided was an optimum coolant temperature for this engine may not have been decided purely from a performance/longevity standpoint, but was also likely determined in part by emissions laws. So I do suppose that the optimum temperature for performance may be a little cooler, but how do you make that determination?
I see your point, however these bikes weren't really designed to sit in traffic either, they were designed for the track and to have air passing through the radiator and cooling the engine down. Usually affected by the outside air temp but i usually see 160-185 when riding. If the engineers designed the engine to run at those temps while at speed, then i would assume those would be the optimal temperatures to run the bike at even if while sitting :dunno That being the case, I'd rather not have the bike get its temp high enough that it could boil water. Just more piece of mind for myself :fact

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts
So the bike doesnt hit 245 :hammer:

·
blue blurrrr go zoom
3,397 Posts
Sorry but you are missing the point. Its a very useful mod if you find yourself stopped in traffic. The bike heats up and fans don't come on until about 106 deg. With this mod you flick the switch and the fans stay on until you turn the switch off keeping the bike significantly cooler when in slow moving or stopped traffic.

this is one of the best mods i have put on my r1..i hated seeing the 200f mark, and in the city traffic i see 225f alot until i put the switch on 2 yrs ago...dont even see 200f nomore!

So, there really is a point to this mod. :fact
:fact

There is no point to this, whatsoever. The fan only is functional when coolant is flowing. When the bike is off, there is no coolant flowing. The fan itself will not cool anything off.
u must have no traffic where u r from, cuz there is a definite point to this mod

Instead of wiring the switch through the relay, you would wire a switch directly to the motorcycle's battery. That would allow you to turn the fans on and off when the ignition is off.
this is what i got goin and it works wonders..cept for a dead battery if u leave it on too long

Here is the problem, I need it to do it automatically or else I will forget about it. :( I ride home and when I get home the bike is about 210 to 215. Most of the time I leave the key on and let the fans run and get the key out 20 min later, some time I forget and have a dead battery the next day.
..only downfall to this madness!!! everything else is a positive!!

·
blue blurrrr go zoom
3,397 Posts
a radiator flush does wonders!!! i had a heating problem for alil while and thought i needed a new thermostat ot something...flushed the system and aint had the problem since!!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
So the bike doesnt hit 245 :hammer:
I hope that is just a little sarcasm. If the temperature were to reach 220 degrees and on thought that it may go higher, then the assumption is that dT/dt is greater than zero. Which means, if the engineers decided the fans should start to run at 220 degrees, they did so under the assumption that the temperature was going to continue to rise.

Not trying to offend anyone by questioning this mod, just trying to apply some reasoning to the mod. I am trying to further this How-to thread, nothing more.

·
I eat my chicken stripes
1,987 Posts
Tbh i couldnt discern which wire you splice from the fotos and what you really connect with. :(

·
90% INDESTRUCTABLE
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
The green/yellow wire is the one you splice into.

David used a crimp splicer that pinches the oem wire and your new wire.

I shaved enough coating off one side of the green/yellow wire to make a small bulge in the copper wires. Then soldered the new wire to the oem wire. Then wrapped the join in electrical tape.

:thumbup

·
Registered
147 Posts
but the problem is, once the bike is off, running the fans doesn't cool anything off except for the water in the radiator, and that isn't really going to do anything to help cool off the motor. Besides
Actually the fan moves plenty of air to the engine block when the bike is off and cools the block that way.

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,633 Posts
If you get home stop the bike and leave the fans running until they quit be sure to start the bike again and get that cooled radiator coolant into the engine, the temp will drop off considerably then :fact

·
Registered
357 Posts
anyone have this still? It was working and now that i'm going to do this on friday i'm getting a forbidden when i try to access the site. I remember the details except which colored wire to splice into. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
27 Participants
NZ_R1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing