Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Locate your fan relay. (On the 07 - 08 model its under the left side fairing near the fuse box).

The relay has 2 heavier guage wires and 2 lighter gauge wires. 1 of the lighter wires is green and yellow. Splice another wire to this wire and run to your switch. (Existing wire still in place connected to relay, just tapping into it with the new wire)

From the other pole of the switch run a wire to a good earth. Make sure its a good earth, there are many fittings on the bike that look suitable but they are not an earth point. Use an existing earth to be sure. I used the one behind the instrument panel.

Done. Fans will still work as per factory but you can now also turn them on at anytime with flick of switch. They will turn off when ignition off so you can't accidentaly run down your battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does this work for 09'-14' r1?

Does this guide also work for 09-14 r1? I need to do this mod badly. My bike has gotten all the way up to 250 in traffic and had to turn my bike off. I live in Tampa, Florida so there's a shit ton of traffic on top of being 100 with humidity.

·
I FEEL THE NEED...FOR SPEED.
205 Posts
Guys did the mode as suggested here, thanks for the great info!!!
I put the switch in front, so it can be easily reached, I didn't cut anything just hold it with two Double-sided tape and a tire up.

Made a video toο.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Locate your fan relay. (On the 07 - 08 model its under the left side fairing near the fuse box).

The relay has 2 heavier guage wires and 2 lighter gauge wires. 1 of the lighter wires is green and yellow. Splice another wire to this wire and run to your switch. (Existing wire still in place connected to relay, just tapping into it with the new wire)

From the other pole of the switch run a wire to a good earth. Make sure its a good earth, there are many fittings on the bike that look suitable but they are not an earth point. Use an existing earth to be sure. I used the one behind the instrument panel.

Done. Fans will still work as per factory but you can now also turn them on at anytime with flick of switch. They will turn off when ignition off so you can't accidentaly run down your battery.
There's any problem with ECU or error code with this method? I was thinking to put one wire from positive pole of battery to the switch and then from switch to positive of the fan, and the negative from fan to negative of battery, it's possible? Or may i have any trouble?

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Just get a large fan that stays in front of where you park the bike. When you get home just turn on the large fan. I'll do that with my girlfriends GS500F because it's air/oil cooled. Then you don't have to worry about doing the switch and it will cool the whole bike, not just the radiator.
Smart simple idea!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There's any problem with ECU or error code with this method? I was thinking to put one wire from positive pole of battery to the switch and then from switch to positive of the fan, and the negative from fan to negative of battery, it's possible? Or may i have any trouble?
No, the bike turns the fan on by grounding the -ve terminal on the relay. You're just doing the same thing with a switch.

The problem with your idea is that the switch and wiring will carry the full power for the fan. Much better to use the existing relay to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, the bike turns the fan on by grounding the -ve terminal on the relay. You're just doing the same thing with a switch.

The problem with your idea is that the switch and wiring will carry the full power for the fan. Much better to use the existing relay to do that.
So i just need to connect a piece of wire from green/yellow wire of relay to a switch and then from the other probe connect a ground? But my question is, where i need to connect the wire with green/yellow wire? I mean before(ECU-relay) or after(relay-fan) thanks

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
So i just need to connect a piece of wire from green/yellow wire of relay to a switch and then from the other probe connect a ground? But my question is, where i need to connect the wire with green/yellow wire? I mean before(ECU-relay) or after(relay-fan) thanks
It doesn't matter where you connect to the yellow- green wire. Either end or you could use a splice connector on the wire.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
27 Participants
NZ_R1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing