Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
My GF is Jealous of My R1
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it was that time again: Time for an oil change.
I decided that since I was doing it, and maybe not everyone knows how to change their oil, I'd snap a few pics and do a write up... So here it goes!

Video with pictures from below:
Link to the Video

Tools needed:

Yamaha YZF-R1
17 mm Socket and Ratchet (or a 17 mm wrench)
Oil Drain Pan
At least 4 quarts/liters of oil. (3.10 L is needed for 07/08)
Oil filter, KN-204(c) for 07/08. (303 is needed for 98-06)
Ridiculously long funnel (Hey, why not? Makes it more fun!)
Shop rags (That oil gets pretty damn messy)

Step 1: Get your R1 in a nice place free of (most) sand.

Step 2: Put her on up on the rear stand!

Step 3: Remove the lower cowling. Simply unscrew all the screws on the fairing (including the one on the back), and the simply slide it back.

Removed:

Now would be a good time to clean all of that sand and junk out of the lower cowling.

Step 4: Locate the oil drain screw.

Use a 17 MM socket to unscrew it, should come off with a few tugs.

Step 5: Unscrew it. (Of course)

Step 6: Locate your oil filter

Very easy to get to on this bike fortunately. All you need is that same 17 MM socket/wrench to unscrew it.

Let 'em drain!

Step 7: Grab your new oil filter.

Ooh... Chrome... Pretty... And another 3 dollars. >.> Damn my stores for not having the regular!

Step 8: After they're done draining, take some oil on your finger and apply it to the O-Ring on the new filter (Helps with a better seal).

Step 9: Insert oil filter.

Step 10: Insert drain plug.

Step 11: Fill 'er up! (07/08 says it takes 3.10 liters with a new filter)

Eh... Looks good to me!

Then, simply screw the cap back on, start her up, and you should be good to go. Remember, don't just throw the oil away, bring it to a local shop (car or bike) and ask them to discard it for you.

Any questions, feel free to ask, I won't guarantee my knowledge though.
Hope this helps some of y'all.

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Great write up. If I can add one thing it would be to add about 3.0 liters of oil first. Then start it up & check for leaks. If none are present, button her back up and go for a short ride. After that, let the bike cool down and then check the level again. Don't be surprised if you need ot add a bit to get the level between the marks.

·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great write up. If I can add one thing it would be to add about 3.0 liters of oil first. Then start it up & check for leaks. If none are present, button her back up and go for a short ride. After that, let the bike cool down and then check the level again. Don't be surprised if you need ot add a bit to get the level between the marks.
Ah. Yeah, good idea. I've not really had to worry too much on mine... 1500 miles on her

·
Stuntin' every other day
4,585 Posts
Also another note would be place aluminium foil over the headers so that when removing the filter it stops oil falling on to the headers.
you dont want that burnt oil smell.

·
add it to my tab officer!
1,791 Posts
id warm it up first, and go easy on doing up the sump plug, the torque setting for it in the manual are too much!:flex: and it will strip! well it happened to me, just judge it by hand.
good wright up tho.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
id warm it up first, and go easy on doing up the sump plug, the torque setting for it in the manual are too much!:flex: and it will strip! well it happened to me, just judge it by hand.
good wright up tho.
+1

warm it first for sure.

·
YEC Reflash is awesome!
199 Posts
I always fill the filter up with oil before I put it on. Don't want any dry starts. Also on the 07-08 R1 if you leave it on the kickstand to do the oil change you don't get oil on the headers. I had a 04 R1 and the oil drained all over the headers on it. Really annoying. I'm glad they fixed that on the 07.

Does anybody else find it tricky to get the oil level right? If you read the book you're supposed to run the bike for 3min then let it sit for 3min before checking the oil. I like to run it all the way to the full mark and it seems like I end up getting it a little over full almost everytime because of the whole starting it up thing. Oh well. I just drain alittle back out. Kinda a pain though...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanx for that post bud...missing one crucial thing. Might not be needed EVERY oil change, but the drain plug gasket should be changed. it's only $1 give or take.

Anybody know what other oil filter company sells the ones with the 17mm bolt at the end of their filter? I've been using genuine yamaha filters but am sick and tired of burning myself trying to use an oil filter remover.

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
I always fill the filter up with oil before I put it on. Don't want any dry starts. Also on the 07-08 R1 if you leave it on the kickstand to do the oil change you don't get oil on the headers. I had a 04 R1 and the oil drained all over the headers on it. Really annoying. I'm glad they fixed that on the 07.

Does anybody else find it tricky to get the oil level right? If you read the book you're supposed to run the bike for 3min then let it sit for 3min before checking the oil. I like to run it all the way to the full mark and it seems like I end up getting it a little over full almost everytime because of the whole starting it up thing. Oh well. I just drain alittle back out. Kinda a pain though...
+1 on the oil/headers comment.

Regarding the oil level, when you're filling it, fill it with what the manual calls for...minus about 200 ml. Then check for leaks and button her back up. Then go for a ride and run it through the gears, making sure the bike gets up to operating temperature. When you get home, let the bike cool off. Then check it. You'll be surprised that you don't need to add as much as what you thought you were going to need.

BTW, if you're about 200 ml shy of what the manual says to add, and you go for a ride, you're fine. At that point, the oil level should be mid level in the sight glass, which is well above the minimum mark.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Thanx for that post bud...missing one crucial thing. Might not be needed EVERY oil change, but the drain plug gasket should be changed. it's only $1 give or take.

Anybody know what other oil filter company sells the ones with the 17mm bolt at the end of their filter? I've been using genuine yamaha filters but am sick and tired of burning myself trying to use an oil filter remover.
k&n

started loving the k&n after I had to shred the yamaha one with a pair of pliers to get it off :dundun:

·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd be honored if it became a sticky, and I definitely intend to do a few more write-ups as get more mods in. =)
Next one is my HID kit (55w WITH harness) coming this Friday.

·
My R1 and me is a love story
290 Posts
when you replace the oil filter did you use a torque wrench or only hand ?

if only hand how-to ? (1 quarter, 1 half turn, after touching ?)

thx people.

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
To avoid getting oil on the headers, take some tin foil and make a make-shift shield. The oil will run right off the foil. Plus, you can fold the foil in almost any shape to direct the oil away from the headers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
24 Participants
tory ii
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing