Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Just got finished with my oil change and thought I'd add this bit: I took a silver Sharpie marker and marked the "notches" on the sight glass to make it easier to check without bending down and looking for the notches (which are cast in the engine case and painted). May help some, may not. Just throwing it out there.

·
Under construction...
12 Posts
May be a dumb question but doing mine right now. When I add 3 quarts, the level in the window is full. Is this because it has to crank and pump it into the engine and filter? Just want to make sure I don't over fill. It is on front and back stands and I let drain until no drips were coming out.

·
Commuting on an R1
2 Posts
Just want to say thanks for this thread...just used it to change the oil on my 07...would have been handy if the last service had put a genuine or K&N filter with the bolt...but hey, knuckles look better skinned ;)

·
Get it? I don't either.
42 Posts
Also another note would be place aluminium foil over the headers so that when removing the filter it stops oil falling on to the headers.
you dont want that burnt oil smell.
Just did mine last night, that sounds like a great idea. Should've checked here before I started.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good stuff. I've learned that doing it on the kickstand allows the filter oil to miss the headers completely, also the foil is a great idea.

·
Get it? I don't either.
42 Posts
when you replace the oil filter did you use a torque wrench or only hand ?

if only hand how-to ? (1 quarter, 1 half turn, after touching ?)

thx people.
I used to work for an oil filter company and most of the filters had instructions for 3/4 turn past gasket contact (but that varies with gaskets, application, and other stuff). I turned it a bit with a socket wrench to get it a little tighter than hand tight though because of the tight space. When you're removing the filter to change it, it doesn't seem to want to come off. It's like it knows what you're doing and wants to be a pita....not really but you get the point.
:ugh
Heh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent info!

I'm new to this forum. I just had a customer ask if I also work on motorcycles and if I would change his oil. I searched, found my way here and glad I did. It is a rare thing when all replies to OP sound reasoned and intelligent. I will bookmark this forum now.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,329 Posts
For any of those that are super OCD like myself I have a step that would go between the OPs #9&#10 before putting the drain plug back in take the bike off of its rear stand and put it on its kickstand, you will see the oil start coming out again and quiet a bit as well. I know this works if you drain while on a rear stand then go to kickstand. Not sure if it would work the same the other way around starting on the kickstand because I always start the process with the bike on the rear stand. This gets the maximum amount possible out. I also pour a bit in from my extra quart to flush mine as well. I change mine every 1500 miles or so going by the look of the oil in the sight glass. I like it nice and clean.

·
223 Posts
oil drain plug torque for 06 is 31.5 ftlbs with new crush washer.

make sure oil filter will not come loose !

I never add more than 2.5 quarts initially.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
24 Participants
tory ii
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing