Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a lot of people asking for a how-to on the 07-08 block offs so I took some pictures when I was installing mine today.

If you could make it sticky...

Here we go

First of all
Buy a tool like this one
If you don't, it will take a LOT of time to remove the smog plates

Take off the 2 bolts under the seat and remove it.
Disconnect the battery ground. It's always a good idea for safety reasons.

Then these...
Slide the plastic to the front of the bike and it will come out

Remove these allen's on the side of the tank

And then this one on the top

Ask a friend to lift the tank for you
Get a cloth and cover the eletronics under the tank no make sure no gasoline will drop there.
Remove the hoses from the fuel pump and the 2 electrical connectors.
On the main hose you'll have to remove the safety lock like the picture, pulling it down, then put a cloth aroung the end of the hose, press the release button and put it out slowly, so it doesn't spill gas.
The gas on the tank won't come out when you remove the hose because it has a retention valve.

Cover the end of the hoses with something so it doesn't leak on the bike.

Get the tank down.
Find a good place to put your tank first, then remove this bolt and take it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Remove the bolts of the air filter box

Disconnect this hose and this plug

Loosen theses bolts
You don't need to remove them

Lift the bottom of the air filter box, remove the hose on the right side, and put a cap to seal it.
It's the hose from the smog system that will come out later.

Cover the engine intakes to make sure nothing drops in there.
Now remove everythink thats pointed red on the picture.
There's another 10mm hex bolt that's not on the picture but you'll figure it out.

To make room for your hands and tools, disconnect all the wiring like on the picture and move it away.
Using the bottom of a screwdriver or whatever you prefer, push that gray pin that's pointed with an arrow. You have to push it a little bit hard and it will come out so you can remove the plastic triangle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now there's a black heat shield hiding everything
Carefully pull it backwards so you can see the AIS (Air Induction System)
Remove these clamps, take out the hoses, and disconnect the solenoid.
Use a tie wrap to get the wiring together again (the ones that goes to the spark plugs) and another one to hold the connector that was going to the AIS solenoid.
You can leave it unplugged just like that, there's no problem, the ECU won't complain.
Everything on this picture will come out of the bike, except theat plastic that holds the solenoid.

Slide this plastic holder on the solenoid to the side and remove it.

Now place it back were it was before so you don't leave a hole on the intake, and it will be like this:

You are now ready to remove the plates of the AIS.
There are just 4 allen bolts, 2 for each one.
But they are really painful to remove.
It's the worst part.
Take you time
If you have the tool that I showed on the beginning it will be MUCH easier.

As the bolts are locked with loctite they will be hard to remove till the end.
When you remove then, try to clean the loctite left on the bolts so when you put them back with the Block Off Plates whey will get in easier.

That's it...
Don't forget to put loctite on the bolts of the plates

And here's how it's gonna look like when you're done

Very important:
Double check all the wiring connections!
Make sure it clicks when you plug it back in!

Sorry if I forgot anything!

Cya!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
You can cut about 35 steps off that procedure if you go in thru the front by dropping the radiator down... but to each their own!

·
The Gift that Keeps On Giving
632 Posts
does the radiator need to be disconnected? or just dropped? and then is it a clear view to the smogs ?

·
I wreck my R1
6,172 Posts
does the radiator need to be disconnected? or just dropped? and then is it a clear view to the smogs ?
I just removed mine. Plenty of room and gave me the opportunity to change the coolant as well. You don't need to drain and remove it but as long as I was there...
Also, it's a good time to replace the spark plugs while you're in there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can cut about 35 steps off that procedure if you go in thru the front by dropping the radiator down... but to each their own!
+1 i just took mine loose and i had plenty of room to get my block offs in. still have to take up the tank and air box but after you put the plug on the air box then its all back together and ready to ride!!! still nice write up!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
You don't have to take it off. Just undo the bolts on the top of the radiator and the bottom bracket, and it'll move forward and down a good 6-8", plenty of room to get your hand in there.... this is of course withou the side panels as well!

I didn't even need to take the tank off or airbox, all I did was cap off the end of the hose that went directly into the solenoid. I bought a 3/8" Fuel Stopper Plug from autozone and used that. Also, as mentioned before, having that tool will help, but the other thing you can do is just take a 5mm allen wrench and just cut about 1/4" and use that in a 5mm socket and a small ratchet and you got the same tool for a fraction of th cost!!!

Good luck! It's well worth the effert, I'd say it got rid of about 95% of the decel popping that I hated before the mod!

·
Letzroll
1,124 Posts

·
ALL ABOUT THE BLACK AND GOLD!!
1,011 Posts
Where does the "Rubber Cap/Tube" go on?

It s the "Rubber Cap/Tube" that comes in the package along with the Graves Block Off Plates??

·
08 R1, 2010 ZX6R Track bike
1,292 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread but as a noob i would like to know what does Smog Block Off Plates do for the bike??

·
Ready for Barber!!!
81 Posts
Hey. Great write up. I just wanted to subscribe to the thread so I can find this when my plates come in.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
69 Participants
fatpastyhead
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing