Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Just got done finishing this up. Already had the bike tore down so figured I would get this done as well. It was a great write-up and helped a lot. I ended up doing both this and dropping the radiator down and it was a piece of cake.
Yea exactly what I did, very reccomended. Sounds scary, "dropping the radiator" but it takes 3 minutes if you just take off the top bolts and let it fall foward a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great write up, thanks!.
Inner two bolts are easy from the top with a standard 1/4" Beta socket.....attacked the outer two from the outside of the bike with the same tool, easy enough!

Deffo agree on the radiator move.......save loads of f*****g about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whats up guys new to the forum, been floating around here for quite awhile though but anyways I need to resurrect this thread cuz I'm having a bish trying to finish this mod. I've followed everything to a tee but I'm stuck at trying to remove the stock plates with the tubes attached (the ones with the solenoid attached as well) I'm so frustrated cuz I'm right at the end. My question is can I just destroy the tubes attached to the solenoid? Or do they have to be installed again? In the photos it looks like just the new plates are installed. Can I ditch the solenoid? Please help I'm desperate cuz I wanna ride lol. Thanks

·
DWIW, all day.
433 Posts
Whats up guys new to the forum, been floating around here for quite awhile though but anyways I need to resurrect this thread cuz I'm having a bish trying to finish this mod. I've followed everything to a tee but I'm stuck at trying to remove the stock plates with the tubes attached (the ones with the solenoid attached as well) I'm so frustrated cuz I'm right at the end. My question is can I just destroy the tubes attached to the solenoid? Or do they have to be installed again? In the photos it looks like just the new plates are installed. Can I ditch the solenoid? Please help I'm desperate cuz I wanna ride lol. Thanks
ImageUploadedByMO Free1361160071.459728.jpg
If you're referring to this, you're removing the whole piece, so that's the tubes and all, the solenoid is unplugged and everything. The only thing that going to be left is your block off plates.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah that thing. I'm gonna just cut the tubing and rip the solenoid out so I can at least get my hands in there to unscrew the stock plates. Thanks for the input :) this forum is awesome!

·
Livin' the dream
95 Posts
Working on this right now. Just seen my first glimpse of the AIS! Started going top down. Think I'll drop the radiator as well. All fairings are off as this is beginning it's life as a track bike.

Back at it!

·
DWIW, all day.
433 Posts
Working on this right now. Just seen my first glimpse of the AIS! Started going top down. Think I'll drop the radiator as well. All fairings are off as this is beginning it's life as a track bike.

Back at it!
Looking back, I probably would've dropped the radiator in combination as well, would've made it very much easier. Just really take your time, I honestly thought I was going to strip the bolt because of how tight it was stuck in there.

·
Livin' the dream
95 Posts
Just got done. I probably had it much easier than most since mine is a track bike with no plastics whatsoever and the air ducts are gone. I removed the solenoid and it made it very easy to get to the inner bolts. I also used a 6 inch ish long ball end driver. It made it extremely easy. Was able to get to all the bolts one way or another. From start of removal of the bolts to done was maybe 10 minutes at the most. I've included pictures of my bike and the driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's the long Allen I used. Slid in from fork area. Along with 2" ext wasn't all that bad.

·
Speed Limits Suck!
49 Posts
Thanks for the great write up, lot's of great feedback, and a mod well worth your time....It shaves 100 pounds off the bike!!! lol I'm in the process of doing this wonderfully fun job, and just thought a little sarcasm was needed! lol
I was told it's a nice way to save weight(1lb) and money at the dyno...I hope I don't get the error code! Only seen one guy in this thread say that...anyone else ever heard of this happening? I'm going to elec. tape my ais connection to keep water and road gunk out, and hopefully avoid an error code. That's my only addition to this thread, oh yeah, and drop the radiator, it's three bolts, man up and take the fairings off, they need a good cleaning anyway!!!

·
My R1 eats me.
1,959 Posts
I did the plates on my 09 R6S, was super easy. Pulled my 07 R1 air box off today and I'm like WTF?? lol.

Thanks for the writeup!!! I'll attempt it again after the long ride tomorrow. I disabled the AIS pump (with ECU flash), I hope that keeps enough air out for my autotune to work properly tomorrow!!!

-Jamie M.

·
My R1 eats me.
1,959 Posts
Would simply disconnecting the air pump and removing the hose from the airbox do the same thing minus the weight reduction?
You would have to plug either the hose or the plate nipples to top air from going in there (and remember to cap the airbox nipple too, so your bike isn't sucking dirty air).

Unplugging the power to the AIS pump does 95% the same as smog plates/plugging the hose.

-Jamie M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks man! I just reached into the right fairing and disconnected the plug to the air pump. Fired it up and no fi light or any problems. I was hoping it might help out with my flame throwing at idle but after a couple revolutions is shot out a fireball. It has fairly new plugs but I may have fouled them when messing with power commander maps. Hopefully that may help. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Are the AIS gaskets paper type or rubber? I got my Driven plates and plan to do the install and don't want to run into a issue if I need to order new gaskets.

·
My R1 eats me.
1,959 Posts
Are the AIS gaskets paper type or rubber? I got my Driven plates and plan to do the install and don't want to run into a issue if I need to order new gaskets.
No gaskets are required. Remember when installing the plates to remove the reed screws, reeds and baskets, but reinstall the reed mount block before installing the new plates. You'll see when you get in there.

-Jamie M.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
My dad was a mechanic for 40 years and tons of tool but fml for not having ball end hex long sockets. Also figure I have the mini ratchet that can take hex sockets but guess what missing 5mm hex bit.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
69 Participants
fatpastyhead
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing