Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Even with the plates in I get the popping sound on deceleration but I never did mind the sound.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Stealth R1
35 Posts
Thanks for the info I'm going to do this mod when my velocity stacks arrive I'm also going to do the air box mod & throw in some brisk spark plugs in while I'm there. Does anyone know if I need to drop the radiator to get to all the plugs or can I just go through the top any info would be great

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
If you want more room I would recommend dropping the Radiator.

Make sure you have something like this for the 5mm hex. Link ____

·
Stealth R1
35 Posts
Thanks for the speedy reply & info

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Ohhh nice, ordered! I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards sitting on there that I couldn't figure out what to use em on. Perfect!

-Jamie M.
Oh just double check the set. Make sure the link I provided comes with the metric hex set too.

·
No speed limits here son!
8 Posts
Good write up.

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
No gaskets are required. Remember when installing the plates to remove the reed screws, reeds and baskets, but reinstall the reed mount block before installing the new plates. You'll see when you get in there.

-Jamie M.
I have a question if anyone can help.

I removed the reeds, reed screws and reed basket, and just have the reed mount block to put back in, however the reed mount block has a small locating pin on it, and the blockoff plates I bought are flat on both sides-no corresponding hole for the pin.

I looked at the reed mounting plate and it looks like everything will work fine if I put it back in upside-down (so the pin faces down, and the plates can go on) will this be ok? the reed mounting plate has the rubber gasket around both sides and it looks to me like it will seal up fine

or better to get the dremmel out and cut off the pins (dont really want to do this)

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
I turned the reed mounting plates upside down because I didnt want to dremmel anything if I didnt have to. seems to have fitted up nicely, will update when I get the thing back together in case anyone else has the same question

·
Insert Custom User Title Here
132 Posts
sorry but i cant see no picture. what happen?
They expired on the external website they were posted to. I was hoping someone had a backup... then they could have the admins relink them on the article. I'm getting ready to do this install myself.

·
132 Posts
Well I decided to just jump in and try to make the best of the information I had. I am half way through the project and I've gotten past the parts that had me stumped. Here are a couple pics I took just to give others a look. Also in one of them I am holding a rubber grommet, does anyone know why that is blocking the hole instead of just being permanently closed off?

Also there are three hoses that go to the bottom of the gas tank, one of very obvious where it goes with the green button however there are two other hoses that I did not pay attention to which port they went to. Is it important that they get plugged back into the exact port they were plugged into? I forgot to take pics of the hoses and ports on the tank however I can add those later if anyone needs more visual reference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They expired on the external website they were posted to. I was hoping someone had a backup... then they could have the admins relink them on the article. I'm getting ready to do this install myself.
No news on that, then?... I'll be doing mine in not too distant future as well so would really appreciate the pics. There is a thread on putting the plates in on an 09 -14 R1, I suppose they cannot be that much different? Can they??... :scared

·
132 Posts
No news on that, then?... I'll be doing mine in not too distant future as well so would really appreciate the pics. There is a thread on putting the plates in on an 09 -14 R1, I suppose they cannot be that much different? Can they??... :scared
Sorry I should have taken some pics as they would have helped a lot of other people but the project turned into a two day project for me as it took longer than expected. Here is my advice and some basic instructions that will hopefully help you along the way. Definitely invest in some sort of slim ratcheting tool that others have mentioned. Getting some extra long allen t-handles will make removing the velocity stack much easier. I ended up getting a ratcheting t-handle that had an adjustable length from Harbor freight tools and just used the bits I needed for it.

You'll also want a phillips screw driver tip for a ratcheting socket wrench for removing the air filter box. My bike has never had its air filter removed as it is super low miles so the screws were a bit hard to break loose for the first time. Once I started to use the ratcheting socket wrench with a phillips tip it became very easy.

Basically look up some tutorials on how to remove the tank, then you'll be removing the velocity stacks and air box. There is like a little electronics thing in the back with a heatsink on it that you'll be removing as well. Below that is a plastic cover in the shape of a triangle that you'll be removing as well. That gives you a super small window / opening that lets you see the top of the engine and the smog stuff that you need to remove. If you have any questions along the way let me know and I'll try my best to answer them for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sweet, thanks very much mate. I will give it a stab in mid-Jan (away for Christmas / NY) and if I run into trouble I will let you know. Only been on this forum for 2 months or so but it's pretty obvious you guys rock. Happy days. Have a great Christmas buddy and I will let you know how I get on next year. Cheers!

·
I RACE U LOSE
4,137 Posts
The '04-'06 should be the same, except for the YCCI variable intake stacks the '07-'08 has (that need to be removed in this instance) check for videos or pics of the '04-'06 process. The service manual link thread is in the 'mechanical help' section, look for member Rayjohn's post for a good 'link' for a service manual too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi
I removed the AIS today from my 07. What a major pain to do it. Those bolts are very hard to reach and to remove.
After 4h it was all good.
Tested the bike and now idle is more stable and on deceleration no popping and engine breaking is seems reduced and more consistent.
Everyone with a full system or Y pipe should do it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
69 Participants
fatpastyhead
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing