Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
R1, art of engineering
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Part numbers never changed so i would say 09-14 are all the same and will eventually fail.

Have fixed the guide pictures as best i could some were corrupt from imageshack.

·
Don't hit me please
1,629 Posts
Very helpful guide. I'm using it right now. Gotta replace my starter. I knew everything up Til the throttle bodies. Also it's 91° at 10 pm in Kansas City. Freakin hot in my garage

·
140 Posts
Starter on my '09 has given me problems so I'm in the middle of removing it.
I started last night and within an hour I'm down to throttle body.
My allen wrenches are not long enough so I'll pick up some T handles on the way home tonight.
Should have it off tonight.

Thanks for the write up, it's made the job easy!

·
R1, art of engineering
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
SOLD the R1 so won't be doing a video anytime soon.

Instead of long t handle allen keys could buy long allen key socket sets then use extension bar + socket wrench.

Whatever is cheaper

·
140 Posts
pulled the starter out and disassembled it, turns out the brush plate was worn out.
Magnets and armature are in good condition.

I ordered replacement parts for about $60, not too bad.

·
140 Posts
Mine looks about like that, nothing burned though.
I cleaned the brush plate and put it back together to test it; it spun up really nice.

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,739 Posts
No it wont
If you hold the starter button for long periods of time to try and start the bike, it could burn up the starter.

This is with any auto with electric start.

Every since I've replaced my battery with a Lithium battery, it does not take long to start the bike.

When I was using acid batteries, it would take a while for the bike to start. Sometimes I would kill the battery trying to start it and would eventually push start the bike.

·
R1, art of engineering
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If you hold the starter button for long periods of time to try and start the bike, it could burn up the starter.

Every since I've replaced my battery with a Lithium battery, it does not take long to start the bike.

When I was using acid batteries, it would take a while for the bike to start. Sometimes I would kill the battery trying to start it and would eventually push start the bike.
A good condition starter and a lead acid battery will work fine, it has been since the invention of the starter motor.

In your case, the reason lithium can start the bike better is because it can supply more current during rotor lockup (magnets come away from body) without any volt drop like a acid battery.

·
140 Posts
Parts came in the mail today, 3 hours later it's back together and it starts like a boss.
Still need to finish the cooling, I'll work on that tomorrow.

Brushes were cheap, all together I'm into this job for $70.

Thanks for the step by step instructions, this made it really easy.

Steve

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,739 Posts
A good condition starter and a lead acid battery will work fine, it has been since the invention of the starter motor.

In your case, the reason lithium can start the bike better is because it can supply more current during rotor lockup (magnets come away from body) without any volt drop like a acid battery.
If there is a voltage drop in the acid battery like you clearly stated, then there WILL be an increase of amperage. This increase of amperage will cause excessive heat. Heat burns up starters.

This is why I stated that a good battery that will hold a charge, much like a Lithium battery, will prolong the life of a starter. The 09-14 R1's are hard starting bikes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong? :dunno

https://itstillruns.com/would-starter-motor-burn-up-5004732.html

·
R1, art of engineering
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A locked rotor will pull excessive current regardless, its just lithium can provide more current without the voltage dropping too much.

Its bandaid solution for shit manufacturing

·
R1, art of engineering
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Generic T handle allen keys should work only need to get to half TB, you reach the others on the other side of the bike.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
15 Participants
Jagtem
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing