Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Destroy what destroys you
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not as good as most of you with the detailed how to's but I figured I would give some insight to the 09 as I just finished it.
The lower air box case is the more involved out of the entire operation, once that is off, should only take about 15/20 minutes to finish and assemble it all back together.

1) Take of the rider seat
2) Unscrew the side panel on gas tank, then slide it forward off
3) Remove the screws on side of tank and the one on top
4) Remove OR pull tank back and secure it up as I did.

5) Disconnect wire at plug from air box
6) Disconnect fuel line on air box (pull up on orange clip and push 2 side buttons in and pull easy)....have a rag there for some fuel leakage/drippings

7) Remove all screws (phillips) from top of air box, take the top off
8) push off white clip as shown, these come off easy, just don't force anything.

9) Push the 4 tabs and center snap button to separate the lower air filter case duct, unscrew (5mm) the 6 allen screws, do not remove, from the intake funnel joint. 2 of those are hard to see until you remove or pull up on the intake funnel servo motor rod assembly (on top of TB's) To remove, push out where it is snapped in place off of rods, easy to do just be easy and don't over force anything.

10) Remove Lower air box case, disconnecting the 2 hoses.
11) Unplug blue wire connector on air duct and wiggle the duct free one side at a time until it comes out, these connect to the ram air tubes.

12) Once the duct is out you will immediately see the AIS

13) Remove the 4 (5mm allen) screws, unplug wire connector

14) Remove hose by pushing through side of bike til it's out

15) Take your plates and use blue locktite, I had to use red since its all I had on hand. and snug each side down, then tighten it down...I recommend using this type of wrench.

16) DO not forget to cap off the hole at the air box where the hose from the AIS went to

Putting it all back together is a breeze, go in reverse order, triple check all wire connections, fuel lines, clearance, all screws and bolts accounted for.....

I was a bit intimidated when I first opened the top part of the air box....Now that I did it, I will know exactly what to do next time it has to come off.

Hope this helps I hope it's detailed enough.

Billy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Should make spark plug changes a lot easier too... although, if the 2009 R1 is running iridium plugs, the intervals for spark plugs must be about 50,000 km?

Should also make throttle cable free-play adjustments at the throttle body side easy too!

·
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em
2,874 Posts
Very nice write up ...

I know when I did mine I wore SmoothyNoButt's IM out askin' questions ... and a big thanks to diel11 for his help

This will make things easy for those that wanna do this mod ... :thumbup

·
Vagisil
148 Posts
top write up, just what I was looking for

·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that I think of it and look at this post again, I think I over looked a minor detail.
In the air duct where you push the 4 tabs and the center button that the AIS actually attaches to it....see center in this pic.

Being that the center button is attached to the AIS it no longer has a center button now, I DID NOT SEAL/TAPE THAT HOLE.
I think if any of you that do this, seal it with tape or cut that button off the AIS and plug it back in to keep the air from escaping??

Sorry guys, i realized that after the fact.

MAKE SURE YOU SEAL THE HOLE! I do not know if that is important or not but may as well close it off.
For me it's just something else to do as I sit home bored recovering surgery....
Sorry again

·
Registered
85 Posts
No iridium plugs on the 09.
are you sure? The Yamaha Canada (haven't check others) specifically states that the bike is running "Long life Iridium twin electrode longer reach NGK LMAR9EJ spark plugs are used."

These websites have been wrong in the past...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here you go. The longer one is the stock 09 R1 plug.
Definately doesn't have the very pointy/sharp electrode shape that all iridium plugs I've seen before have. hmmmm... wonder why the website says its running the iridium plugs?

Diel, do you know off the top of your head what the service interval is in the book on the stock plugs?

·
NESBA CR / WERA #811
447 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. I waisted an hour trying to get at them from the front as I did with the 04... I now have the long t-handle allen wrenches needed to remove the lower air box and should be completing this mod tomorrow.

·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the great write up. I waisted an hour trying to get at them from the front as I did with the 04... I now have the long t-handle allen wrenches needed to remove the lower air box and should be completing this mod tomorrow.
I too did not have the T handles, so I used a regular allen key and turned the top with a plier until it snapped loose, then turned it by hand. Definitely easier with the long T handle.

Also I cut the gray tab off the AIS and plugged it back in the mounting hole of the air duct....Was easy and no problems.

·
Kiss the R1NGS....
128 Posts
Where did you get those block off plates?

Also quick question. If my 09 was running rich for about 1500 miles, could that cause my plugs to become fouled and cause the bike to stall?

1 - 20 of 322 Posts
About this Discussion
321 Replies
133 Participants
Wolfgang5884
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing