Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 322 Posts

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
doing bike maintenance today and for shits n giggles i removed one of the smog block off plates just to have a look see....filthy as hell

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
anyone out there that has their AIS system laying around that doesnt want it? I think i tossed mine in a move a couple years back...but wanting to mess around with it a little bit. let me know. thanks!

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,995 Posts

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,995 Posts
sitting on bike, under left air intake... you gotta pull the rubber snorkels to see it.. :yesnod

·
My R1 owes me money!
324 Posts
What? Do you mean the marble trick?
I do not know this marble trick your talking about but when everyone installs blockoff plates it says to be sure to plug the holes on the bottom of the air box. couldn't you just plug the holes on the bottom. What is the need to block off the top and the bottom? When the channel your blocking is connected?

·
Master of the Obvious
180 Posts
I think the 'marble trick' is sticking marbles in the tubing of the AIS to prevent air flow from the pump. AIS stays in tac but is deadheaded. No block off plates required... Go the block off plate route tho.

The hole on the air box that should be plugged is the suction lead to the AIS. A rubber plug will do. The one on the very bottom can be plugged by slipping the plastic bracket off the AIS, you need to turn it a bit to line up the tabs to remove it. It has a white dimple or whatever IIRC.

·
Tin Foil Hat
2,982 Posts
I do not know this marble trick your talking about but when everyone installs blockoff plates it says to be sure to plug the holes on the bottom of the air box. couldn't you just plug the holes on the bottom. What is the need to block off the top and the bottom? When the channel your blocking is connected?

Removing the AIS will also save you a little bit of weight as well. Honeslty, the plates are cheap and worth it. The way you're talking about, wouldn't work that well. You'd want to do the marble trick, and then plug that hole as well.

I think the 'marble trick' is sticking marbles in the tubing of the AIS to prevent air flow from the pump. AIS stays in tac but is deadheaded. No block off plates required... Go the block off plate route tho.

The hole on the air box that should be plugged is the suction lead to the AIS. A rubber plug will do. The one on the very bottom can be plugged by slipping the plastic bracket off the AIS, you need to turn it a bit to line up the tabs to remove it. It has a white dimple or whatever IIRC.
Pretty much what he said.

281 - 300 of 322 Posts
About this Discussion
321 Replies
133 Participants
Wolfgang5884
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing