Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yamaha makes it very easy to use the OEM rearsets and QSS for "reverse" or "GP" shifting. The manual calls for a 1.0mm thread pitch tapped about 6mm deep. This can easily be obtained at your local hardware store...

Yamaha pre-machined a hole for the reverse location, so locate it and tap it...

Tapped.

Once tapped, simply move the existing bolt and shift rod over to the newly threaded hole located on the other side of the pivot bolt...

Once this is complete, the shift rod will need to be adjusted. Best practice for quickshifters are to use 90 degree angles, so adjust accordingly. Use two 10mm wrenches for this effort.

I added a Ti racespec bolt to finish the job :crash

Easy as pie :thumbup

·
Not every man really lives
3,263 Posts
Good post. I had the dealership tap mine so it was set to GP shift before I left. I didn't think nothing of it at first, but the tech kept the shift knuckle on the line. QS and shifting have been fine, but I pulled my sprocket cover off today and was thinking it should be at 90 degrees. I think that's a standard practice as I've seen the same over on the Triumph boards. Gonna have to adjust mine.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think you're suppose to use a little cutting oil when tapping the hole?? Might make the cutting easier and better threads??

·
Banned
672 Posts
No. The aluminum is very soft. I've gone deep in to a couple of swingarms several times. QUOTE]

The cutting oil helps the tool to cut cleanly as the swarf from cutting soft materials like aluminium often "grabs" onto the tap and instead of a clean thread you just get a bigger hole. The smaller the thread size the more chance of that happening especially when the tool is not as sharp as new. Metho or kerosene works well on aluminium.

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,739 Posts
No. The aluminum is very soft. I've gone deep in to a couple of swingarms several times. QUOTE]

The cutting oil helps the tool to cut cleanly as the swarf from cutting soft materials like aluminium often "grabs" onto the tap and instead of a clean thread you just get a bigger hole. The smaller the thread size the more chance of that happening especially when the tool is not as sharp as new. Metho or kerosene works well on aluminium.
Thanks for the tip. I have kerosene in my garage.

·
Not every man really lives
3,263 Posts
I just reversed the 90 degree knuckle at the shift splines, Gp shift done..Works fine for me with my QS..

Seen somebody with an R1M do this and had no problems. Did it with my '09 R1 and R6 but those didn't have a QS. Figured since Yamaha put the hole there, I'd do it that way this time around.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just reversed the 90 degree knuckle at the shift splines, Gp shift done..Works fine for me with my QS..
Seen somebody with an R1M do this and had no problems. Did it with my '09 R1 and R6 but those didn't have a QS. Figured since Yamaha put the hole there, I'd do it that way this time around.
Are you sure? The sensor is a "pull" sensor. You should be able to keep the throttle pinned 100% and shifts should be smooth. I could be wrong, but I doubt the sensor is working in a "push" configuration.

·
2ND is the first LOSER!
770 Posts
Are you sure? The sensor is a "pull" sensor. You should be able to keep the throttle pinned 100% and shifts should be smooth. I could be wrong, but I doubt the sensor is working in a "push" configuration.
You are 100% correct, Went for a short ride again and it sucks!!LOL Did the way you do and it works awesome....Guess with all this high tech I just cant reverse it anymore, darn QS LOL..Thanks for posting and proving me wrong..Sorry to anyone that listen to me.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are 100% correct, Went for a short ride again and it sucks!!LOL Did the way you do and it works awesome....Guess with all this high tech I just cant reverse it anymore, darn QS LOL..Thanks for posting and proving me wrong..Sorry to anyone that listen to me.
:lol no worries man I've been wrong about this bike many times already- Publicly and privately :crash

·
Banned
672 Posts
Can you confirm that it is a directional mechanical switch? I would think that being so high tech bike it would be using a load cell in which case it should be easy enough to change the kill direction in the ECU. Or have it cut in both directions like a HM quickshifter does.

·
my genius knows no bounds
425 Posts
shit. i just bothered to read about this and it appears that if its a pull switch, that directly shits on our ideas about making this gp shift with the stock setup.

if all this be the case, this just makes the idea of me getting the R1S, with its lack of QS, suddenly make even more sense. especially for the money.

translogic QS ftw?

·
Become one with THE ONE.
568 Posts
Thx iGoldeneye. I actually reversed the 90-degree knuckle earlier without thinking of the pull senor. Just happened to run across your post. Now it is tapped and reversed correctly. Ready for next ride. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
Jin Ba Itai
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing