Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Not every man really lives
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed some Graves smog block off plates on my '15 R1 and took some pictures along the way. This was easier than the smog plates on the previous gen and much easier than the '04-'06 so if you've done either of those before, this will be a walk in the park.

Tools required:

• 4mm allen wrench or socket (long and standard)
  • 5mm allen wrench and socket (long and standard)
  • 10mm or 8mm socket (I don't remember exactly which one off the top of my head)
  • Rachet (the hand tool, not the one you picked up on your bike)
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • Pliers

1. Remove rider's seat (two 5mm allen head bolts).
2. Remove the tank trim on each side by removing the 4mm allen bolt and sliding the trim forward.
3. Remove the three 5mm bolts that hold the tank and prop the tank up with something, or remove the tank completely.
4. Remove the ten phillips screws for the top half of the airbox.
5. Disconnect the fuel line from the top half of the airbox.
6. Disconnect the harnesses for the upper fuel injectors, also undo the zip tie clamp.
7. Remove the top half of the airbox.
8. Remove the six 5mm or 4mm allen bolts (I forget which size) that hold the lower velocity stacks/bottom half of the airbox.
9. Remove the air filter.

Attachments

·
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
10. Disconnect the hose on the back side of the airbox.
11. Disconnect the harness for the velocity stacks motor on the left side of the airbox.
12. Disconnect the hose on the right side of the airbox (not pictured) - easier if you pull the airbox up a little.
13. Remove the bottom half of the airbox.
14. Remove the scoop by removing the 10mm or 8mm bolt (I forget which size), push the grey plug through the bottom, and remove the harness for the air flow sensor (easier to remove once scoop is lifted out).
15. Disconnect the AIS valve harness on the left side.
16. Remove the four 5mm allen bolts for the AIS caps and remove the plastic clamp that's around the hose and CPS harness.

Attachments

·
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17. Remove the AIS assembly.
18. Note the alignment pin on the reed valve that will only allow the Graves smog plates to be installed one way.
19. Install smog plates using the OEM bolts and apply some blue thread locker.
20. Plug the hole on the bottom of the scoop - I took the bracket off the AIS valve and re-installed onto the scoop.
21. Plug the tube on the right side of the bottom half of the airbox with the supplied cap and zip tie or safety wire to keep secure. I cut the cap down for a better fit.
22. Put everything back together reversing the steps above.

Attachments

·
I am lost
859 Posts
Do you really need the smog plates if you do a full system exhaust or cat eliminate exhaust

·
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you really need the smog plates if you do a full system exhaust or cat eliminate exhaust

Either one will need a tune and you'll get a more accurate reading with the smog plates installed. There are work arounds, like pinching off the tube that goes from the air box to the AIS vavle, but you still don't get the other benefits of the plates - like making it easier to replace spark plugs or less popping on decel.

·
I am lost
859 Posts
Either one will need a tune and you'll get a more accurate reading with the smog plates installed. There are work arounds, like pinching off the tube that goes from the air box to the AIS vavle, but you still don't get the other benefits of the plates - like making it easier to replace spark plugs or less popping on decel.
Thanks. That look like a pain in the neck

·
Registered
286 Posts
Question. For those that have done this, did you completely eliminate the decel popping noise?

I installed mine a few days back and have noticed that it still pops at around 6-5k rpms. Nothing crazy but a few pops here and there, which I kinda like haha.

·
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. That look like a pain in the neck

It's really not bad at all.

Question. For those that have done this, did you completely eliminate the decel popping noise?

I installed mine a few days back and have noticed that it still pops at around 6-5k rpms. Nothing crazy but a few pops here and there, which I kinda like haha.

From my experience with my previous bikes and current bikes, you'll still get some popping even with smog plates installed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
From my experience with my previous bikes and current bikes, you'll still get some popping even with smog plates installed.
Hrmm. I guess every bike is different. Because on my FZ1, I also installed the AIS block off plate and its eliminated exhaust popping all together.

tis okay. Once I get it reflashed things should be well.

·
I am lost
859 Posts

·
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hrmm. I guess every bike is different. Because on my FZ1, I also installed the AIS block off plate and its eliminated exhaust popping all together.

tis okay. Once I get it reflashed things should be well.

Strange, I remember reading in another thread(s), others saying you'll always get some popping on decel. Of course not as bad as before the smog plates were installed.

I noticed it on my '06 R1 with three different exhausts (Termignoni 3/4 exhaust, MJS 3/4 exhaust, Sato full system) and my '09 R1 with two different exhuasts (Graves low mount, Leo Vince Factory EVO II full system). My 09 R6, I don't remember so much because I had an MJS full system with a dB killer so it was pretty quiet and my focus was always on the track. Currently, my '14 Daytona 675R with Austin Racing GP2R w/MJS headers does it too.

I have my ECU reflashed with the AIS disabled on my '15 R1; which I did the same time as the smog plates and Graves 3/4 system so I can't say it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
yeaaa.....probably gonna get the dealer to do this. Looks a little too intimidating for me
+1 I'm thinking what you thinking
Its really not hard at all. With the photos and walktough here, and graves video it would be hard to do anything wrong.
Done 3 09-14 R1's and now my 15 R1.
I have never opened airbix/took off the gastank on my 15 R1 before, and it took me roughly 25~30 min. Also I got to learn how my bike are put together at the same time doing this.

The hardest part is to see how connectors are going to be unplugged and the lower airbox are disassembeled and put back in, on the 09-14 R1 ( which is really not that hard).
On the 15 I think the gas tank was the "hardest" part to figure.

Also be patient when unclipping the Air funnels. It seems abit scary, but start at one side and gently push them out of theirs C-clips. They will come off one at a time.

After you done this once, you can do the sparkplug jobs at home easly, instead of let a exspencive mechanic do this.

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
RavenNOR
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing