Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
What's a motorcycle?
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello forum friends,

This thread applies to the TWM street button pods - specifically the left-side button pod which controls the turn signals - and applies only to button pods with on/in | off/out switches (some button pods may use momentary switches for the turn signals - this issue/fix does not apply to those pods). Unlike the OEM switch, which has a central 'cancel' button to turn the signal off, the TWM pod has no central 'cancel' button. Instead, buttons are pressed once for 'on' (which causes the button to stay in the depressed position), then you press the same button to turn that signal back off.

On my button pod (and confirmed with at least one other user @Ibarra562 so far), the turn signal printing is reversed from the actual function; that is to say, the button labeled with a LEFT arrow activates the right signal, and the button labeled with a RIGHT arrow activates the left signal. My OCD doesn’t allow me to tolerate this, so I set about fixing it. Since I was unable to find any relevant information about this, I wanted to share the fix in case any of you would benefit from it.

There is a form of work-around for this issue; you can simply leave both turn signal buttons in the depressed position (which will cause no turn-signals to be active). Then when you release the right-side button, the right-side signal will show, and vice-versa. Again, this didn't sit well with my OCD.

NOTE 1: This fix applies only to the Street version of the TWM button pods, on the left side.
NOTE 2: Your button pod may not be affected by the issue described, and TWM may have already corrected this at the factory. As such, it is strongly recommended that you plug in and test your particular pod before performing this fix.
NOTE 3: This guide and the images therein assume the TWM pod has already been installed.

The Symptom:
When pressing the left turn signal button, the right turn signal is activated. When pressing the right turn signal button, the left turn signal is activated.

The Fix:
To determine this fix I first had a look at the diagrams in the service manual. I located the section related to the turn signals, and identified the wires that control which signal is which. Based on this diagram, it became clear that the plug on my TWM pod was incorrectly wired with the 9 and 10 positions (W/B and W/Y in the image below) reversed:

To fix this, you first need to remove the left side fairing to access the OEM electrical connectors where the TWM pod plugs in (If you need specific instructions on how to do this, see other threads). Locate the Delphi 12380 10-way connector, and disconnect it. The plug should look like this:

Cut back the black protective jacket a little bit - this will allow you to manipulate the individual wires more easily:
CAUTION: Make sure you do not damage the wires underneath

Release the pin retaining clip by depressing this white section with a small flat screwdriver:

Next, look for the position markings on the plug body (positions 1, 5, 6, and 10 are moulded into the plug body). Identify the 10 and 9 pin positions - these are the wires you need to swap:

To release each wire, in addition to releasing the retaining clip, you’ll need to use a pin removal tool on each individual wire. I don’t have such a tool, so I improvised by using a bobby pin (after scraping off the soft waxy material on the end with a utility knife):

You’ll need to insert the bobby pin into the correct hole to release the associated wire. Take caution to ensure you’re pushing the pin into the correct hole:

Press the bobby pin firmly into the release hole - when it’s inserted sufficiently, give the wire a gentle tug and it should come out easily:

CAUTION: The TWM wires in this bundle are unmarked - all of them have the same white jacket. As such, take extra caution that you’re swapping the correct two wires.

Once the 9 and 10 wires have been swapped, make sure to seat the wires firmly back into position, then snap the retaining clip back into place by firmly pressing the white clip face pictured here (it should gently snap into the locked position):

Plug the connector back in and test your work. If everything was done correctly, your TWM buttons will now match their respective turn signal side. Use a bit of electrical tape to fix the protective jacket you cut back, then reassemble your motorcycle’s bodywork, and go for a ride.

Hopefully this guide is helpful, but if you have any questions, feel free to post here and I’ll do my best to answer. Please do not PM me - instead, post your question here so the question and associated answer can be found by others who may have your same question.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Thank you for the write-up! I had this issue and would've had no clue how to implement a fix as I bought these second hand and didn't come with any documentation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello forum friends,

This thread applies to the TWM street button pods - specifically the left-side button pod which controls the turn signals - and applies only to button pods with on/in | off/out switches (some button pods may use momentary switches for the turn signals - this issue/fix does not apply to those pods). Unlike the OEM switch, which has a central 'cancel' button to turn the signal off, the TWM pod has no central 'cancel' button. Instead, buttons are pressed once for 'on' (which causes the button to stay in the depressed position), then you press the same button to turn that signal back off.

On my button pod (and confirmed with at least one other user @Ibarra562 so far), the turn signal printing is reversed from the actual function; that is to say, the button labeled with a LEFT arrow activates the right signal, and the button labeled with a RIGHT arrow activates the left signal. My OCD doesn’t allow me to tolerate this, so I set about fixing it. Since I was unable to find any relevant information about this, I wanted to share the fix in case any of you would benefit from it.

There is a form of work-around for this issue; you can simply leave both turn signal buttons in the depressed position (which will cause no turn-signals to be active). Then when you release the right-side button, the right-side signal will show, and vice-versa. Again, this didn't sit well with my OCD.

NOTE 1: This fix applies only to the Street version of the TWM button pods, on the left side.
NOTE 2: Your button pod may not be affected by the issue described, and TWM may have already corrected this at the factory. As such, it is strongly recommended that you plug in and test your particular pod before performing this fix.
NOTE 3: This guide and the images therein assume the TWM pod has already been installed.

The Symptom:
When pressing the left turn signal button, the right turn signal is activated. When pressing the right turn signal button, the left turn signal is activated.

The Fix:
To determine this fix I first had a look at the diagrams in the service manual. I located the section related to the turn signals, and identified the wires that control which signal is which. Based on this diagram, it became clear that the plug on my TWM pod was incorrectly wired with the 9 and 10 positions (W/B and W/Y in the image below) reversed:

To fix this, you first need to remove the left side fairing to access the OEM electrical connectors where the TWM pod plugs in (If you need specific instructions on how to do this, see other threads). Locate the Delphi 12380 10-way connector, and disconnect it. The plug should look like this:

Cut back the black protective jacket a little bit - this will allow you to manipulate the individual wires more easily:
CAUTION: Make sure you do not damage the wires underneath

Release the pin retaining clip by depressing this white section with a small flat screwdriver:

Next, look for the position markings on the plug body (positions 1, 5, 6, and 10 are moulded into the plug body). Identify the 10 and 9 pin positions - these are the wires you need to swap:

To release each wire, in addition to releasing the retaining clip, you’ll need to use a pin removal tool on each individual wire. I don’t have such a tool, so I improvised by using a bobby pin (after scraping off the soft waxy material on the end with a utility knife):

You’ll need to insert the bobby pin into the correct hole to release the associated wire. Take caution to ensure you’re pushing the pin into the correct hole:

Press the bobby pin firmly into the release hole - when it’s inserted sufficiently, give the wire a gentle tug and it should come out easily:

CAUTION: The TWM wires in this bundle are unmarked - all of them have the same white jacket. As such, take extra caution that you’re swapping the correct two wires.

Once the 9 and 10 wires have been swapped, make sure to seat the wires firmly back into position, then snap the retaining clip back into place by firmly pressing the white clip face pictured here (it should gently snap into the locked position):

Plug the connector back in and test your work. If everything was done correctly, your TWM buttons will now match their respective turn signal side. Use a bit of electrical tape to fix the protective jacket you cut back, then reassemble your motorcycle’s bodywork, and go for a ride.

Hopefully this guide is helpful, but if you have any questions, feel free to post here and I’ll do my best to answer. Please do not PM me - instead, post your question here so the question and associated answer can be found by others who may have your same question.

Hi I am getting a set of street switches in the same brand are you still running them how do they work when going through the menu to change settings can you do a video about it or let me know how to use them haven't found anyone that are running them. Also did they come with the front brake switch what about the horn wire??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
YamahaSBK
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing