Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's pretty easy. Trace the wires from the sidestand switch up to its connector. Clip the two wires on the SWITCH SIDE of the connector. Clip them close to the connector, but give yourself a little room because you now have to strip the wire insulation off the wires and twist both wires together. If you just clip the wires, the bike thinks the kickstand is down. If you short the two together, it'll think the kickstand is always up, which is what you want. Then to save weight (ha ha) I dremeled the the aluminum bracket that the kickstand mounts to down so that the kickstand switch mounting part is completely gone.
This is all for my '02, but it should work for all. The '04 definitely looks the same.

Red Man

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. I thought that was exactly what to do.... BUT.... I already did this and it did not work.

this all started when my bike would not start. I cranked it over and over and the "engine trouble warning light" flashed and my bike through a code 19 (bad sidestand switch). When the clutch is pulled in the bike starts fine.... but when the clutch is released it kills the engine. This is why I want to just remove the switch all together. I did exacly what you said above and my bike still does the same thing as I just discribled.

Do I maybe have to reset my codes? any clue how to do this?? maybe disconnect the battery for a few mins?

thanks again for the info!!!!!!!

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
Did you check to see if the sidestand switch was bad to begin with?
The side stand swith "closes" when the kickstand is down.
When I went to a track day I removed the kickstand and never had an issue with the sidestand switch since the bike always thought it was up (nothing there to push on the little button on the switch)
If you short out the wires, it would seem to me that the bike will always see the kickstand as bein in the down position andturn off the engine whenever you let go the clutch.

You can always bypass the clutch switch so the bike's electrical system thinks the clutch is allways pulled in and your problem would go away till you can replace the switch but I dont agree with the shorting the wires comment above

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hummmm..... with my kickstand down I can reach under and push the switch in.... and when the kickstand is up the switch is in, when the kickstand is down the switch is out.

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
Pur Pony1 said:
hummmm..... with my kickstand down I can reach under and push the switch in.... and when the kickstand is up the switch is in, when the kickstand is down the switch is out.
:confused: Could it be that it changed between the 02 and 03 :confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have no idea... i would not think so....

just checked the yamaha site and the part numbers for the 02/03 are the same.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont see how that could be. I was just reading through the 02 r1 service manual again and it says that if the sidestand switch is not working it must have an open. which means when the kickstand is down the switch is open not allowing the bike to start... which means if you remove the kickstand it is not there to close the switch...... maybe you have an odd ball bike that was wired wrong? lol.. your bike may be rare- :)

I am wondering though if I need to reset my fault codes before it will see that the circuit has been closed. I just read through the manual and found how to do this. Will try it when I get home.

·
Off Topic mod
11,194 Posts
My switch is mounted so that when the kickstand is down the button is pressesd...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes- you are right. I just came in from checking that. When the kickstand is down though there is still play in the the switch... what I mean is you can still push it in a little. Thats why I though that....... so the switch out/kickstand up... thats a closed circuit??

I went out and cleared my 19 code... and my bike will still not start. I am going crazy. I just traced the wires on my bike and it looks that the wires go directly into the computer.

After looking at the wiring diagrams... it looks like the wiring comes out of the sidestand switch and into the starting circuit cut-off relay and then into the computer. I dont see how I have an open in the wiring harness since its all incased in a loom. I am thinking of cutting these 2 wires about 3" from the computer and splice those together... that way I know there is no open anywhere.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi MAN...I Have the Same problem...I Replaced the SIDESTAND Sensor and Still showing code 19 I Cut off Sidestand Wire goes to Circuit cut Off But nothing Change I Don't think the best way is start cutting wires...lol lol I Won't cut anymore I'll try By pass on two wires on main switch...I going crazy ..I Bought My bike on ebay but I Never Hear engine noise...SO SAD

Good lucky if you got let me know please...

Thanks

·
SH BAM
1,304 Posts
my bike just did this today...im lost...i shorted out the kickstand switch and swapped out a ecu that i had and still no joy..im lost on what to do..

·
SH BAM
1,304 Posts
Just as a matter of interest did you try without the stand wires shorted together ?
sure did...i checked out the the switch first and it appeared fine so i just cut it..1st with the wires apart with no joy so i just shorted them together with no joy..

·
SH BAM
1,304 Posts
found the the problem...i did continuity checks and ohm'd it out and found that the blue was from the kickstand switch to the ecu was broke somewhere..so i just made a direct line from the kickstand connector to the ecu..and it works now..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys it is most like the relay. Unplug your clutch switch wires. It will be two wires under the clutch handle. Get a small piece of wire and run the wire from one of the connectors to the other to "loop the two wires together". This should be a quick fix. To Fix the problem you will have to replace the relay. Let me know if this works..

·
SH BAM
1,304 Posts
Hey guys it is most like the relay. Unplug your clutch switch wires. It will be two wires under the clutch handle. Get a small piece of wire and run the wire from one of the connectors to the other to "loop the two wires together". This should be a quick fix. To Fix the problem you will have to replace the relay. Let me know if this works..
i just posted what i did to fix it

·
Street Runnerz M/C Natl. Prez
1,250 Posts
just an FYI... if you do this as a way to fix it, items like two stages and NOS controllers will no longer work

best way to fix these types of problems is to take your time and trace wires... 90% of electrical problems are visible

1 - 19 of 19 Posts