Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if I can handle the task of changing the plugs? How difficult is it? What is involved? I have the service manual but it does not have many pictures. Does the fuel tank really need to be removed?? Help...please!!!

·
My R1 is my M1....
409 Posts
At least you have the manual! Take your time so you don't F-up anything. Removing the fuel tank is necessary but getting the hoses and wires disconnected is tough, due to limited space. (Removing the fuel tank was the biggest issue for me, anyway) Also, the manual will tell you to remove the radiator.....not necessary! You will want to remove all the side fairings and if you remove the intake duct works, it will make removing the inner "Y" duct much easier. You will have lots of stuff disassembled so sort them neatly so you can remember were and how they go back together. Once you have the cam cover exposed be carful when pulling out the spark plug boot as the secondary coils are located in each boot. Don't pull on the wire....release the upper boot from it's seat and slowly pull side to side and twist. They will come out! Once the boots are out I recommend using compressed air to blow out the spark plug cavity before removing the plugs just in case there is any debris sitting at the bottom. From here it as simple as changing any spark plugs. For reassembly, double check the plug gaps (each plug has two electrodes) and get each the same gap. Use a torque wrench the plugs to insure proper tightness. You certainly don't want to be second quessing after all the work it takes to remove and install them. I consider myself a pretty go mechanic and the first time I changed plugs on my 09 R1 it took a total of over four hours....mind you, I was taking my time but, non the less its not a half hour job! hope this helps you out to some degree!

Tom

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
look in the How-to section I beleive. look for the thread about the smog block off install...or AIS removal...not sure what its titled. it tells you everything to do step by step with pics to get to the AIS.....and the AIS sits right on top of the plugs

·
Registered
77 Posts
It took me about 3 hrs myself to do. Its a long process,but i did it on a rainy day. also, I did NOT remove the gas tank. I kept it lifted with a piece of wood from under the tank to the triple tree. Some people remove them, but you dont have to. i did not encounter any problems. and what R1nstang said is soo true. Look at the thread on how to remove the ais. The guys pics and info is dead on. Its really easy, just takes a bit of time. If i were you, id remove the ais while you do the plugs. your there anyways!

good luck!

·
16,563 Posts
It took me about 3 hrs myself to do. Its a long process,but i did it on a rainy day. also, I did NOT remove the gas tank. I kept it lifted with a piece of wood from under the tank to the triple tree. Some people remove them, but you dont have to. i did not encounter any problems. and what R1nstang said is soo true. Look at the thread on how to remove the ais. The guys pics and info is dead on. Its really easy, just takes a bit of time. If i were you, id remove the ais while you do the plugs. your there anyways!

good luck!
yeah I didnt remove the tank either. I put the bike on a rear stand. got two 36 inch bungee cords. hooked one end of each to the rear stand and the other end to the sides of the tank. held it out of the way perfectly. no scratches or anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info....wasn't sure if there was a trick way to get to them by dropping the radiator. I will just take my time and double check each step!

·
Rx for 2nd mid-life crisis
551 Posts
Haven't done mine yet, but I'd like to add that you should let the head cool to room temperature whenever removing or installing plugs into aluminum heads, as a general rule.

·
My R1 is my M1....
409 Posts
The questions was asked......when did you change the plugs?. Well, as suggested in the service manual I did it at 8000 miles. The color on the plugs looked correct but the gaps had deteriorated beyond spec. Replaced them with the recommended OEM plugs. I doulble check all the gaps on the new plugs and adjusted them as required. Will do it again in another 8000 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am attempting this on Wednesday. Are there any specific tools to gain access to the plugs that I need? I noticed from pics that the center two plugs are located for perfect access, how about the outside plugs? Any crazy swivel, or extensions needed???

·
M2HB
392 Posts
8K is a general rule of thumb i use now, but when i was a beginner squid i once went 16K at which point the bike ran poorly, that was my clue that i needed to change them.

·
16,563 Posts
I am attempting this on Wednesday. Are there any specific tools to gain access to the plugs that I need? I noticed from pics that the center two plugs are located for perfect access, how about the outside plugs? Any crazy swivel, or extensions needed???
If i remember correctly i used an allen wrench to get the AIS system off...replaced with smog block offs. once that was done it was easy getting to the wiresets. pop em off. get a socket wrench and an extension. i did use a pair of needle nose pliars to make sure the outer plugs were set in the threads correctly. Then once they were lined up right slip the socket and extension on it...screw it down by hand as far as you can...then use the socket wrench to tighten it down....dont crank it down as tight as humanly possible though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If i remember correctly i used an allen wrench to get the AIS system off...replaced with smog block offs. once that was done it was easy getting to the wiresets. pop em off. get a socket wrench and an extension. i did use a pair of needle nose pliars to make sure the outer plugs were set in the threads correctly. Then once they were lined up right slip the socket and extension on it...screw it down by hand as far as you can...then use the socket wrench to tighten it down....dont crank it down as tight as humanly possible though.
I really appreciate all of your info and help!!! I will let you guys know how it goes!

·
keepin the rubber side down
93 Posts
Haven't done mine yet, but I'd like to add that you should let the head cool to room temperature whenever removing or installing plugs into aluminum heads, as a general rule.
yes ...also a drop of oil on the threads of the plug will help in removing them next time :bash

·
Shiny side up
1 Posts
I attempted this on a rainy day before I deployed. Overall it was fun, but with a disappointing end. I'm rather good with a wrench being that I am a blackhawk mechanic, but really this is more time consuming than difficult. I didn't remove my tank, but used bunge cords to hold it back like someone else mentioned. The ducting is a pain to get back into the y-box right, but just takes patience. The problem I ran into was actually getting the plugs out. After all that work my Snap-on spark plug wrench would not go past some tapered lip inside the well after getting the boots off. I used both metric and SAE snap-on sockets but neither fit. I ended up putting it all back together for nothing but practice and went to advanced auto parts and bought a cheap on and sanded it down on a belt sander to paper thin. Never got a chance to try it out though before I deployed. Has anyone else run into this issue at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Beware when changing plugs

I just finished changing my plugs and air filter. Just from my short gained experience I would HIGHLY recommend taking off the radiator when attempting to change the plugs.

Three bolts hold the radiator up, two bolts on the top left and right side next to the air tunnels (I know that isnt the proper name) and one bolt in the center which allows it to pivot.

The fairings on the right and left side will need to be partially removed and to make it easier turn the handle bars opposite of the side you are working on when removing the top radiator bolts.

This was a task at first, but I learned alot. When reinstalling radiator PLEASE MAKE SURE the plug wires are out of the way and horizontal to the bike frame. One of my plug wire got caught in my radiator and I didnt notice until after everything was put back together and my R1 went from sounding like an F1 fighter jet, to a wind up propeller plane. YIKES. It ate right through the wire.

Attachments

·
16,563 Posts
Damn that sucks man. I didnt need to remove or loosen the radiator at all.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,146 Posts
look in the How-to section I beleive. look for the thread about the smog block off install...or AIS removal...not sure what its titled. it tells you everything to do step by step with pics to get to the AIS.....and the AIS sits right on top of the plugs
+1, we just did the AIS, followed the faq... got a look at the setup, yup there's the plugs... my old man is a mechanic,.. would take him a couple hours.. so expect 3 to 4... doing it right.. its a pain in the arse..

05 r6 was a cluster fack as well.. tnx. yamaha :)

easiest way to make sure you have plenty of room is to remove the battery, then you can tip the tank completely out of the way... here's a pic

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts