Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just changing my oil tonight and it dawned on me that I have a few little tricks to make the most of the change. So, why not share them with my forum brothers? This applys directly to '02-03 R1s, but it should also work on the current generation. Regardless, test to make sure that the bike will crank without starting before dropping the oil!

Here goes:

First off you want the bike hot. So run it standing still until the fan kicks on (~220*), then shut it down and get right to work. This assures that the oil is as thin as it gets in order to drain as much as possible. Most people know this, but it's worth mentioning. Go ahead and drain the oil and remove the filter. Wait until the oil stops. Make sure your bike is in neutral.

Now with the filter and drain plug still out comes the first trick. Put the bike into diagnostic mode. While holding both buttons on the cluster turn the key to run. Continue to hold down the buttons until it displays "diag". Release the buttons and then press and hold them again until it says "d01:xx". In diagnostic mode the fuel injectors are disabled. Crank the bike for two 5-6 second bursts, with a rest in between, and watch how much more dirty oil comes out. Mostly from the filter boss.

Another common trick is to pre-fill the filter with oil. Do it! Pour it right up to the brim and wait for it to soak into the media. Then fill it up once more. Reinstall the filter and drain plug. Pour in the remainder of the oil amount spec'd in the manual. Cap it and then do the diag trick again. Cranking once more for about 6 seconds. This assures the the filter and the rest of the oiling path is primed and ready to go. Turn the key off, then back on again to clear out of diag mode. Start the bike and run it for about 15 more seconds, shut it down and wait 1 minute or so for the oil to settle. Then top off according to the window.

Hope this helps!
:riding

·
X_Infantry
2,934 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me - just not so sure about running the bike for 15 sec with no oil ?

:thumbup

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You aren't running the bike. When it is in diag mode displaying "d01:xx" the bike will not fire. Put the kill switch to off if it make you feel better. You are mearly cranking the motor, no harm done.

·
Akrapovic xplane
6,037 Posts
FOZZ said:
New info for me - Never heard of it being done but does should like a great idea..
:iamwithst I will give it a try...thanx

·
GET OUT!
4,890 Posts
I have a question. I'm kinda new to bikes and is there any special oil filter wrench I should use or just channel locks with a towel over the teeth.?

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The local parts store should have ratchet drive filter wrenches that go over the end of it. Strap wrenches work too. Channel locks will get it off, but you needd to make sure it's on tight, and channel locks are a no-no for that.

·
GET OUT!
4,890 Posts
Thats why I was askin. I have a normal wrench that I use to change my Evo's oil, but I don't think it will reach on the bike. Plus, I'll probably burn my hand trying to get the oil filter off and on. Is there any technique to put the filter on so when I tip it to put it on I don't spill oil?

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you fill the filter up twice, it should just about absorb enough that it wont spill. The filter goes on horizontally, so you can't leave too much in there.

·
GET OUT!
4,890 Posts
Thanks man, you been a real help. I usually figure out things by trial and error, but I don't wanna mess up anything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is a tip if you are looking for something to take off your oil filter with. I have a '04 and it doesn't have much clearance between the filter and the exhaust, so a strap or one of these (image below) works great. If you can't find one I know snap-on carries them.

Oh and one more thing you forgot to mention is to put a light coat of oil on the rubber seal around filter before installing it.

Attachments

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, I debated on whether to mention it or not. Couldn't decide whether to just tell my tricks, or full blown how-to. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just figured I would mention it. Some guys might have never changed their oil before, and will try doing it based on what is on this tread. It is actually really simple to do; maybe the hardest thing to do is take off the lower plastics and figure out how to take off the filter without getting 3rd degree burns on your hand (oh gloves help also around the pipes). If I remember correctly it tells you how to do it in the manual.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,588 Posts
my trick for not getting burned..... remove fairings... start bike.... turn off bike.... remove drain plug... and filler cap.... then let oil drain and pipes cool.... then remove filter with above mentioned oil filter wrench.... haven't been burned once doing in that way

·
Rezident Cynic
2,540 Posts
ok so I asked the monkeys at eh yammy steelership about prepping the oil filter before putting it on, and I was told not to put any additional oil on it, and to just put it on dry. Can't remember why exactly but I do remember they told me specifically not to prime the filter with oil before I put it on. Are they full of shit again?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well I typically prime the filter before putting it on. I usually don't put a lot in but I have always done it that way I don't see why it would hurt to prime the filter. However they are not talking about the rubber seal that should always be done.

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't believe they told you that. If you leave it dry there will be a 2-3 second delay before any oil gets to the top end.

1 - 20 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
143 Participants
ChriR1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing