Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

321 - 340 of 367 Posts

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Finally remember to try it a few days ago.

Worked like a charm on my 04 :)

Thanks fiveoh :thumbup

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Try it out. As long as you can get the bike to crank without firing, you are good to go. If memory serves correct, it worked nicely on my teammate's '06 R6

·
Registered
19 Posts
so i just tried doing an oil change and it was a fail. i couldnt even get the oil drain bolt off. the last oil change was done at the dealer.

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
You can very carefully use impact to break the bolt loose. First, make damn sure that you are loosening, not tightening! Get your short socket or box-end wrench on there and support it with one hand very close to the bolt, not the handle. Preload it in the loosening direction with that hand. Then use a small hammer to tap the handle of your ratchet or wrench.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can very carefully use impact to break the bolt loose. First, make damn sure that you are loosening, not tightening! Get your short socket or box-end wrench on there and support it with one hand very close to the bolt, not the handle. Preload it in the loosening direction with that hand. Then use a small hammer to tap the handle of your ratchet or wrench.
clockwise? going to the right/clockwise will loosen it correct?
and what about tightening it back up? is doing it by hand and then a slight tighter by the wrench?

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
If you are looking at it from underneath, you need to turn it counter-clockwise to loosen it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
well i was looking at this video. isnt the guy going counter clockwise? i am sitting in the same position at him. i believe the time is 2:44

·
Track bound.
9,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Obviously that guy is turning it in the right direction. Whether it appears CW or CCW depends on your frame of reference (top-down or bottom-up). The convention would be to look at the head of the bolt and turn CCW to loosen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well looking at it from where he is sitting. lets say eye level, its going to the left right. i know rule of thumb that lefty loosey and righty tighty

·
Registered
88 Posts
Exactly how much more oil are you guys extracting by doing the diag crank trick? Is it really worth the effort?

10,20,50,100ml? More?

·
Is there anybody out there?
3,989 Posts
Exactly how much more oil are you guys extracting by doing the diag crank trick? Is it really worth the effort?

10,20,50,100ml? More?
I'd say probably 125-150 out of 3500ml. Not worth the effort as I've been preaching. I said it before and I'll say it again...Your old oil is doing a fine job of lubing your engine and when you change it, the 125 or even 150ml that you leave in the engine is not going to effect the new oil at all. If it does, it's negligible. Drain your oil, change your filter, replace both and ride. People have been doing it this way for 100 years and have had no problems. I've been doing it the old fashioned way, on my 99, for years and it runs like a champ. I burn all of about 8 oz. of oil over 5000 miles and that's it! You'd have a hard time finding a new bike that burns that little. Oh, and I also lube my chain with nothing but WD-40(40,000 miles on stock chain) and I run Rotella T6 so I guess that groups me in with the "crazies".

Mark
99 R1

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Diagnostics Mode Problem

Hey guys, used to be I was able to spin the engine in diagnostics mode and have no issues with it. Here lately for some reason the bike turns on in diagnostics mode... Any idea's as to what it is doing? I do have the Jett Tuning ECUnleash but i've had it for awhile and it used to spin in diag mode without any issue. Any help would be great.

321 - 340 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
143 Participants
ChriR1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing