Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

341 - 360 of 367 Posts

·
Finally, I owned her..
56 Posts
Tried this trick in front of my mechanic when i sent my 04 R1 for servicing earlier today..
I got scold by the mechanics at the shop because cranking the bike when there's no oil in it..but they seem surprised when they saw the amount of oil coming out from the filter boss
Even after that they said that it's not a good thing to do, not sure whether they really are concerned about me cranking the engine without oil in it or because they felt threaten by some random people like me who knows something that they don't :hammer:

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Keep cranking bro, as long as she doesn't fire to life you're good.:thumbup

How clean is your oil now?:sneaky

·
Finally, I owned her..
56 Posts
Keep cranking bro, as long as she doesn't fire to life you're good.:thumbup

How clean is your oil now?:sneaky
Yeah i crank it about 4 times i think, i must say i'm also surprised to see the amount of oil that came out..

Oh well, clean enuff for me :)

·
R1... Whooom
14 Posts
Great work fiveoh. Didnot change the oil but put in diag mode to check. Work like a charm. So the next oil change will be like this. Cheers

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
Yeah i crank it about 4 times i think, i must say i'm also surprised to see the amount of oil that came out..

Oh well, clean enuff for me :)

Looks pretty clean :) it will only get cleaner next time you do it. :thumbup

·
Can't Touch This!
52 Posts
Awesome write up FiveOh! Just changed my oil on my 2009 R1 today using these tips, everything went smooth! Someone on here mentioned aluminum foil to cover headers, that worked like a charm as well. On the 09+ they didn't leave much room between headers and oil filter. So the only draw back if you don't have a filter wrench is tightening the filter by hand. Large hands don't help either. Was a little difficult and not completely sure how tight it's on there but I'll take a little ride then check it again!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Can't Touch This!
52 Posts
^ Here's a picture to show how clean it is now!

Attachments

·
Owner of the color changing R1
16,563 Posts
Awesome write up FiveOh! Just changed my oil on my 2009 R1 today using these tips, everything went smooth! Someone on here mentioned aluminum foil to cover headers, that worked like a charm as well. On the 09+ they didn't leave much room between headers and oil filter. So the only draw back if you don't have a filter wrench is tightening the filter by hand. Large hands don't help either. Was a little difficult and not completely sure how tight it's on there but I'll take a little ride then check it again!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I tried this saturday on my 09. got into diag mode and pushed the starter..it cranked 3 or 4 times and fired up...luckily i tested before i drained the oil. as far as I know I followed all the steps and was at the right "screen" on the dash. Diag:00 or something like that.

·
Can't Touch This!
52 Posts
I don't think you quite got to the right screen. Once you see "diag" you must press both buttons togehter again until you read
d01:
Then you're ready to go!

·
16,563 Posts
I don't think you quite got to the right screen. Once you see "diag" you must press both buttons togehter again until you read
d01:
Then you're ready to go!
hmmm I swear I did that cause I got to the diag screen and pushed the 2 together again...guess i didnt push them good enough. ill give it another shot this weekend

·
Can't Touch This!
52 Posts
hmmm I swear I did that cause I got to the diag screen and pushed the 2 together again...guess i didnt push them good enough. ill give it another shot this weekend
When you push them two together again, you do need to hold them down for another 5-6 seconds before you read the
d01:

·
16,563 Posts
When you push them two together again, you do need to hold them down for another 5-6 seconds before you read the
d01:
oh ok. thats probably what happened I probably just pushed them and released em.
thanks man

·
A guardrail ate my right leg..
3,853 Posts
If you've got the slightest bit of a weak battery it will kick out of diagnostic mode and allow the engine to start as well so make sure you have a full charge before this procedure. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i know this is an old thread.. however just wanted to add that it worked as described on my '09.

quite a bit of oil comes out... at a guess, i'd say about 150-200ml.

thanks 5-0

341 - 360 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
143 Participants
ChriR1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing