Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
R1 wishful thinker :(
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

On the suggestion of another forum member, I've started making tutorials for projects, if I haven't seen them up here yet.

My first two are for the manual fan switch and PVC pipe quick turn throttle mod.

See them here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~smith547

Scroll down and the links are at the bottom.

Enjoy!

Standard disclaimer- if you kill yourself or your bike blows up, I am not liable- tutorials are for academic purposes only! :D

-Dave

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the mod because I was afraid buying the billet QT throttle would have made it too sensitive. this seems to work quite well :)

-Dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
Couple questions...
How is this mod different for the 07 R1?
Does it give you a well responsive throttle without much of "delay"?

·
R1, The `R` is for respect...
359 Posts
Looks interesting!!! Might have to try that once I get mine rideable again

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do have to watch out a bit more- the throttle seems much more responsive now- I love it!

I took it apart while doing the front forks and brake lines (I removed th whole brake system fof the bike to do the lines), and the PVC glue is holding up nicely after a few days.

Remember to glue BOTH surfaces- the PVC cement works best that way.

-Dave

·
Banned
356 Posts
Does the fan still kick on automaticly when the switch is off?? :dunno

And yes I am a dimwhit when it comes to wiring and mechanical crap!! :fact :lol

·
ELWOOD
5,151 Posts
And yes I am a dimwhit when it comes to wiring and mechanical crap!! :fact :lol
:lol:lol :secret: I think you can add quite a few more things to that list:sing: :sing: :lol:lol jk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i did my throttle mod a bit differently, i just used a zip tie with super glue. cut it so that its the right length, then take a pliers or vise grips and connect the two ends so its in a loop. then heat it up a little bit with a lighter so it retains the shape. on each end angle it a bit so its a smoother transition for the cable. then just simply glue it on. and your done.

Attachments

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Answers to questions:

Yep, temp-controlled fan switch still kicks on when the manual switch is off- this just gives you the option of kicking it on earlier- i.e. when sitting in traffic or idling.

The zip tie mod will be easier, but won't make as much difference. The PVC mod looks near OEM if done well too :)

And no, you can't really adjust the throttle throw progressively. This mod makes it a tiny bit shorter- just enough for most folks. I don't see where riding a wheelie would be a problem as travel is only cut maybe 10-15%. I don't really notice it too much when riding now.

If you want adjustability, buy the Yoyodyne quick turn throttle kit- it comes with 3 cams I think which let you adjust how quick the throttle pulls the cable.
But it's not free :D

-Dave

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
the zip tie mod i did all depends on how thick it is. they come in different ones. this one was thicker, i did the same on my zx6r. makes a world of difference.

·
Experience is something you do
185 Posts
Great mod guys,

just one question? Why do you have to mill/ file out the stops in the throttle housing? I have done mine and it seems ok with out?

Thanks in Advance:)

·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think you have to with the zip tie mod. With the PVC mod, sometimes the PVC piece and/or cable will drag on the stop ribs.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
26 Participants
lynggaard
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing