Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
6,235 Posts
lots of speed and guts.

make sure the asphalt aswell as your front tire is sticky. Then you can just press harder and harder and eventually you'll find yourself in a rolling stoppie.

·
Banned
827 Posts
Yelp, it's usually best to do it on Concrete or fresh (less than 2yrs) asphalt. Start with speeds of 10 to 15 and gently pull in the front brake while lifting your ass off the seat! Squeeze the tank with your thighs. Just parctice doing this and you'll be a pro doing one handers in no time. If your serious about it, get ya a dunlop slick, alot of people will have different opinions but I find they work the best. Let us know how it comes.

·
Dark Horse
3,075 Posts
If you do it like Swedie said, you're in business. If you grab a fist-full-of-brakes, you're in trouble. The key is speed. Rolling stoppies are easier to control the faster you are going.

·
THE MAN
3,744 Posts
Rolling stoppies

This is how I do rolling stoppies.

You will need a good front tire. i don't care who makes it as long as it sticks. It needs to have the proper air pressure in it, and you need to have forks in good working order. Also note this will wear on your steering head bearings, and make a not to lovely noise when the rear tire hits the ground if you still have the bike in gear. It makes less noise if the bike is in neutral.

Start out at whatever speed you like, keeping in mind the faster you go the less of a rush you will be in as you have more speed, and hence more time to work with.

What you want to do is to get the rear off of the ground without shocking the front tire. You want to get your speed to whatever you want it, pull in the clutch and down shift to first, then squeeze the brake lever. you want to feel the bike's nose dive. It should dive smoothly, not all at once. Keep in mind you do NOT want to shock the front tire, you want to transfer the weight of the bike onto the tire smoothly. when the front end is dived down you will want to roll into the brake lever. When I say "roll into" I am meaning to squeeze on the lever progressivly harder and quicker.

You will feel the rear end lift. Then it's time to smile. It is easiest to do at about 40mph or so. At that speed you have enough time to transfer the weight to the front tire with out scrubbing of so much speed you have nothing left to lift the bike with. Best bet is to pratice it several times soft and easy. It is more important to be smooth on the brake lever than anything else. A quick grab at the lever when the tire is warm will usually get the rear end up, but it will be much harder to controll / ride out.

Make sure you are forward on the seat, and your crotch is up against the tank. Once you get the smooth brake lever thing figured out you can add speed and rear tire height to it and ride them for longer. I will warn you though if you get it up too high while going fast (over 40mph) the front tire will try to tank slap and thats a bad thing. If you started a stoppie out at 80mph then the rear tire would not be coming off of the ground until about 65mph, you see what I am saying. make sure you are transfering the weight onto the front tire smoothly. It is much easier to controll that way, and you can work you way up to better and better stoppies with less fears of crashing.

Be forwarned, sometimes the tire will lock up on you. Sometimes even after the rear tire is off of the ground. It is no big deal just roll off of the brake lever. Smoothly. If you drop the brake lever and tense up you will cause yourself problems.

·
875 Posts
I was always told to preload the front a bit, i.e slow down a bit to ease weight forward, then give it a good firm pull on the brake, careful not to lock it up.

·
That's what they say!
185 Posts
Show off!:rock :lol

·
On the 7th Day GOD created R1
219 Posts
Awesome stoppie Silver R1 dude

Not quite to that height on my stoppies yet, but getting closer. Need to get the camera out and see how high I'm getting.:rock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello guys and girls !
I´m from Germany and i found your funny forum this weekend. I want to post a picture from my stoppie:D . I don´t know how to do this. Please help :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

·
Ride safe boys.
1,853 Posts
In the Reply section go to 'attach file'. Browse your computer til you find the file and then hit 'okay'. Then Submit. If you preview reply it will toss out the attachment so you will have to do it again. Hope this helps and welcome to the board. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, I almost stop the bike. I think it´s one of the funniest thing you can do with your bike but it´s not so good for the (I don´t know the english word for "Lager")
;)

·
My other ride is your girl
40 Posts
endos endos endos

I loooovvvvveeeee endos. All variations, I will send some sweet pics of some feet over and one handers on Monday. Anyways, I skimmed through some of the others advice, my only additions would be to squeeze the tank with your legs. This will come in handy when doing high speed (80-120 mph) endos. You really need to get that weight of the handle bars when you are going to fast. It also helps when you start doing one handers and cross over one handers. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh my god. It´s really very hard to understand that difficult english posts. (Just for me, because my english is not perfect like yours). Especially some "nickname" like "endos" and so on...
So, did you (NCLunatixR1) send me some eMail with attachement?
Onkel

·
Faster than the CHP ;)
496 Posts
"Endos" are to BMXs (a bicycle used for doing stunts on) what "stoppies" are to motorcycles. Just different jargon... same thing though :) Hope that clears it up :thumbup

·
Riding is cheap therapy!!
283 Posts
Suspension settings for rolling endo

I have my preload set s little heavier than stock I weight 230 and have suspension set stiffer for the twisties. DO I want to lighten the preload off the forks to help transfer weight. My tire likes to skid more than any thing. Sometimes I get lucky and pull of a nice one.
The other night a lady asked me if I was all right after doing a rolling stopie she though I did not intend to lift the tire.:jump

·
My other ride is your girl
40 Posts
endos

OK, for people having trouble understanding.

A stoppie is when you are at a complete stop and then the rear tire lifts off the ground. This is very sketchy and not a good thing to try. Usually a stoppie happens when you are not going fast enough. 25 MPH or less.

An endo is when you get the rear tire in the air and it rolls. This takes some practice. Here are some pointers.

Pratice.....ride at 45 mph and then pull your front brake and front brake only very hard. Odds are you won't flip over. You will just stop very fast. Practice this a lot.

Now you are a little used to the front brake power. Try this now....

1.) Find a road with no traffic that is no slick.
2.) Ride at 50 mph.
3.) Grip the tank with your knees hard, lean a little forward.
4.) Shift into neutral.
5.) Apply small amount of preasure on front brake.
6.) Now, this is the hard part. Apply a lot of preasure on the front brake, feel the balance of the rear end over the front tire.
7.) Continue doing this until you feel comfortable.

Soon, you will get to a point when you feel like you can let off the brake and still roll in the air. Remember this point. That is the point of no return. It is very hard to get back from there. I have rolled many endos over and it takes a lot of practice. If you are not willing to lay down your bike, then don't do it. The odds of you messing up are good. You will most likely be fine, but it does a lot of damage to a bike. Happy endoing.

T
North County Lunatix

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
About this Discussion
108 Replies
75 Participants
Ridick_Bowen
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing