Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
120 MPH STOPPIE?? i saw todd colbert bust some sick ones in florida a couple of years back
but that guys is a pro, a regular joe attempting a 120mph stoppie will most likely die trying.
take it easy there champ.
try doing it on a bycicle first
lol:corn

·
clutch it up!!!
27,445 Posts
Teach said:
to do better chinese wheelies you must first eliminate as many variables as possible.

these variables include:

moving forks, moving rider, moving wind, bad tires, bad tarmac, etc.

increase the preload almost all the way and also increase the rebound and compression damping to a few clicks from hard...this will eliminate pogoing...then lock your shoulders and elbows and grip tank with your knees....use only front brake pressure to bring the bike up, instead of humping the bike, etc...

now your endo is determined simply by steering a little and the height is det. only by your right two fingers...now you have isolated the variables.

·
Bike No. 86
7,444 Posts
i have found to roll out further, with about 60km'h of speed to start things off, is to use your body weight and especially use your head weight overt the front tire and look forward, this helped me roll out 5 times longer than before?!

you gotta find the Balance Point in a Rolling Stoppie, and then you can Roll the thing out for ages, well a matter of speed helps greatly too.

;)

·
ummm...wherd my plastics go
85 Posts
dam starboy those are way up there....props, im workin on em. this is the first year ive really started gettin into em, i can roll them for a while just get a bit nervous. Guess i need to just balls up and go for it huh?

·
volunteer streetfighter
32 Posts
YA WHAT I DO IS I go about 50- 65 mph and lean over the handle bars, while at the same time i squeeze in the front brake hard at first (like im going to do a stoppie) but ato the last moment before i catapult myself.. I 'll let the brake out, and coast on the front tire only useing thr front brk to keep the back tire suspended in the air. Igotta grip the tank with the knees sometimes. tempature of the tire isnt as important as sand or dirt on the road. it sucks when you are going 60 and the tire dosnt bite and the handle bars turn all the way to one side. sand is the biggest problem i think.

·
2015 Black R1
123 Posts
PyRo1509 said:
No helmet = No head... Dont care how good a stuner you are...

LOL that guy was going down in that picture.

·
SHAZAAM!!!!!!!
1,044 Posts
:confused: Looks cool but honestly, I'm scared to scratch my bike. i love it too much. If I had a practice bike...... I'd go for it! :machinegu

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Gang. I have to agree with the earlier post on doing stoppies on a mountain bicycle. If you do that a whole bunch, and try getting to the balance point, your body will get an idea of where that balance point is. I used to do that on a road bicycle (the one with the thin wheels), and it was no different. The same rules apply for motorcycles - you don't want loose gravel, you have to make sure your front wheel doesn't slide out, and you should use your body weight.

I would say that the big difference with the motorcycle is that you need to lightly grab the brake so the nose dives down slightly and the shock compresses first. This permits the front wheel to establish traction and not slide out. That's when you can grab the brake all the way, and lift the rear.

Oh, and as I was reading throughout the forums, nobody has mentioned having great front brakes that feel solid and aren't "mushy". Having steel-lined hydraulic brake cables dramatically gives the brakes that nice solid feel and more sensitive feedback/control. Anybody with me on this? I hate mushy brakes.

Another thing you'll have to be concerned with is that the weight of the motorcycle changes as the height of the bike goes up. Just like a wheelie, when you initially get the front wheel up, you have to let off the throttle slightly and find that balance point, otherwise you'll overclock backwards. The same goes with stoppies - you'll want to be prepared to let go slightly so you don't overclock forward.

Recently, I've been doing stoppies on steep downhill inclines. I've found that since the bike is already at an angle, and my weight is distributed to the front, I don't have to grab very hard to get the rear wheel off the ground. This has greatly improved my stoppie air-time and get a better feel for that balance point. Anybody tried this? I want to know if it's just me. Thanks.

Robert
livevideo.com/88hawaii

·
Registered
50 Posts
I keep fishtailing when trying to do the stopy I get it up well when its getting up (rear tire) it starts fishtailing to the right so I have to come back down. Why?

·
Not a one like a R1
20 Posts
How do I learn rollin' stoppie (I can come to stop and lift the rear---but I can't come to a rolling stop)????
If your riding with others and you plan practice your stoppies make sure they are aware of you doing so. I was riding with our group one day and I decided to ride out a stoppie and my boy behind decided to pull a wheelie and I ended up with a wrecked 02 R1 and road rash. My buddies Ducati just needed a couple fairings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i like to double pump the front brake and give it alittle bounce on the rear, the higher the tail gets the easyer it is to handle. i started off learning at about 40mph. ohh!... a relly stiff dampener doe wounders

81 - 100 of 109 Posts
About this Discussion
108 Replies
75 Participants
Ridick_Bowen
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing