Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

381 - 400 of 433 Posts

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
:lol

I guess the fact that I get 60,000 miles out of fork seals and they never leak means I have magic fork seals.

You might want to go watch some motocross racing and see how much abuse those forks take.

Landing from a wheelie, even a hard landing, puts no more stress on fork seals than just riding around town. They're not a stress point. No more force or pressure is put on them by landing a wheelie.

·
Not a one like a R1
20 Posts
Has anyone with an 02 found the sweet spot yet because everytime I try It feels way to high and yet I'm still carrying some speed forward so I know that I haven't yet found nirvana:(
I have an 03 R1 which is the same as the 02 and the balance point is pretty damn high, if your sitting you need to lean to the side to see the road. But once you will get it there you will know because it almost feels like your out of control but in control.

·
Crazy Canadian
373 Posts
n502835554_280777_9591.jpg
60 000 miles from your fork seals! that amazes me!
If I come down really hard in high chair even just a couple times i can and have blown seals.What am i doin wrong?

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
View attachment 312713
60 000 miles from your fork seals! that amazes me!
If I come down really hard in high chair even just a couple times i can and have blown seals.What am i doin wrong?
Always use OEM seals, make sure the installer knows what they're doing (it's easy to damage a seal during installation), make sure the inner fork tube is clean, smooth, isn't bent, and that the coating hasn't worn off.

And sometimes, you just get a bad seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
need help

hey guys i had a question to ask i just picked up my first R1 about 3 weeks ago and ive been doing my stand ups but everytime i feel like i get the the balance point my bike starts wobbling and i cant keep it up cause it feels like i'm ganna fall over or something how do i fix this problem?

·
Yes I want burger. Fur burger.
164 Posts
Hey guys I need some help. I am trying to start learning stand ups now and I can't bring the front up for anything. I have been riding sit down wheelies for a long long time and can ride them out for a long way, but have never tried doing a stand up before. I am following everyone's tips here and taking the bike in 2nd gear to about 7K, standing up, let off the gas a bit, bounce and roll on the throttle. well the bike throws me back and take off but doesn't come up. I have been trying many time but nothing happens. I have an 06 R1 and have it geared -1, +2. When I sit down I clutch it up but even in second I can power it up at the same speed I'm trying to do stand ups. My friend said I am leaning too far foreward. I will try to lean back more next time I try, but how the bike is acting I'm not sure if that's the only problem. Any tips????

·
164 Posts
So today now I have the feeling of what i need to do. I practiced over and over again and twice the wheel came half way up. I find myself trying to ride the bike like a bicycle still pulling hard on the handle bars and causing the front wheel to almost tank slap. So I am wondering, when you guys stand up do you reposition your throttle hand? I might not be giving it enough gas, I don't know. I didn't readjust my hand from sitting when i stood up. Anyone even read this section anymore?

·
Registered
77 Posts
also i had the same problem. what works for me is putting my left foot on the passenger peg and the right foot on the riders peg. I dont know what it does but it sure as hell keeps me in the sweet spot. try it and see how it goes. :scoots:

·
Registered
77 Posts
yall be carefull trying to impress other people doing a cake walk man....... You forget how dangerous what your doing is and usually end up with a broken ass cheek. but impress yourself first then the ladies.. stunt safely and dont loop it !!!!!! later guys

·
My R1s pusy tastes like petrol
271 Posts
I hope to one day be able to give advise and put my two cents in hahahaha but im still learning myself :(

·
164 Posts
i'm getting it to where it will come up and back down now, but at least it's coming up.

I had a dream about it the other night haha. I put my left leg on the back peg and let my right leg hang in mid air and gave it gas and the bike came up very smooth and my right leg rested on the front rearset. I know it was a dream, but it was nice. The rear pegs are so high up that it is weird trying to put one foot there and one on the rearset.

·
Registered
77 Posts
remember the rear set peg feel high but once you bring the bike up the peg is going to see-saw down making your right foot actually higher in the air during the wheelie......:rock

·
the R-1 and only!
133 Posts
i have an 02 and i bring it up in 1st nice and easy and ride it out through 4th. practice practice practice

·
i love my R1
617 Posts
Hey guys I need some help. I am trying to start learning stand ups now and I can't bring the front up for anything. I have been riding sit down wheelies for a long long time and can ride them out for a long way, but have never tried doing a stand up before. I am following everyone's tips here and taking the bike in 2nd gear to about 7K, standing up, let off the gas a bit, bounce and roll on the throttle. well the bike throws me back and take off but doesn't come up. I have been trying many time but nothing happens. I have an 06 R1 and have it geared -1, +2. When I sit down I clutch it up but even in second I can power it up at the same speed I'm trying to do stand ups. My friend said I am leaning too far foreward. I will try to lean back more next time I try, but how the bike is acting I'm not sure if that's the only problem. Any tips????

put your left foot on the passenger peg, keep your right foot on the foot peg covering your rear brake and clutch it up. Just keep practicing until u get it. Just make sure your feet are planted good so u dont slip. And no need to pull, your bike will come up all by itself. It will feel awkard until u get used to it. And leaning forward or back will not make a difference while your learning, it changes the bp and u will understand that later on. Just make sure to bend your arms when the bike comes up so u wont freak out and flop over.:thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
remember the rear set peg feel high but once you bring the bike up the peg is going to see-saw down making your right foot actually higher in the air during the wheelie......:rock

Yea!! the passenger peg is super high! I had an '03 zx6r and I would do stand up's all day with my left foot on the rear peg and the right covering the back brake, but on my '06 R1 its too high.....I dont like it :no

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alright guy I have an 05, use to have an 03 600RR. I've ridden quads for about 8 years and can wheelie for miles on there, but thats only forward backward balancing (still mastered it nonetheless). I can sit down wheelie my R1 quite a ways in 1st or 2nd, but looking to start getting good at stand ups.

I feel plenty comfortable bringing the front end up in 1-3 sitting down, but curious if you guys bring it up in a stand up started seated or standing? Also transferring over from quads, standing on the grab bar, but stand ups on the pegs pretty easy?

If you start standing, do you lean forward so you are over the nose as it comes up, or lean back? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
gixxerkilleR1 said:
i have a ttr 125 (which is extremely slow and i dont really like it to much) and i beat these 2 dudes on a yz 125 and a yz 250 (which are extremely fast.) so i guess im an ok rider.:(

^ riding for 8 yrs..... highly doubt it. those riders must have never left 1st gear

381 - 400 of 433 Posts
About this Discussion
432 Replies
174 Participants
DSM908
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing