Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

401 - 420 of 433 Posts

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
04+ R1's are not stunt bike. Anything other than 80 mph freeway wheelies should be avoided.

But if you insist on crashing...

standup, put left foot on passenger peg, keep right foot covering the brake, and wear full gear.

·
Crazy Canadian
373 Posts
04+ R1's are not stunt bike. Anything other than 80 mph freeway wheelies should be avoided.

standup, put left foot on passenger peg, keep right foot covering the brake, and wear full gear.
I must intervene, 80mph wheelie's will do your bike in. But why do them at 80mph? Clutch control is amazing for controling wheelies.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Crazy Canadian
373 Posts
^ thats like saying you cant beat a new bike around the track on an older/weaker bike with a rider with more skill
I see it all the time at the track?

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
I must intervene, 80mph wheelie's will do your bike in. But why do them at 80mph? Clutch control is amazing for controling wheelies.
The newer R1's don't balance well at lower speeds. Going 80 allows you to balance the bike at a lower angle.

Unless you're a skilled stunt rider, these bikes are really hard to maintain a low speed wheelie. They are not bikes to learn on.

·
Crazy Canadian
373 Posts
^ completely agreed, but if thay already arent skilled maybe we shouldnt be telling them to wheelie at high speeds?
It just hurts more an does more damage
Kind of a catch 22 I know

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
^ completely agreed, but if thay already arent skilled maybe we shouldnt be telling them to wheelie at high speeds?
It just hurts more an does more damage
Kind of a catch 22 I know
Absolutely. That's why my response to "how to wheelie an R1" is usually, "don't! it's as far from a stunt bike as a full dressed Harley" (which, like the R1, *can* be stunted by a skilled stunt rider :) )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hard but it all depends on how hard youre setting the front end down, if you power wheelie and set it down smooth its not that hard, but if youre straight slamming it down from 12 o clock, your bearings wont last a month. Also same goes with your fork seals.

·
Crazy Canadian
373 Posts
put all balls head bearings in and you wont need to worry. They take a ton of abuse, its all our team uses in our stunt bikes and we mouse trap from high chair!

·
Il Padrino
1,995 Posts
If you're constantly slamming the front down hard you could damage your steering bearings. But if you're constantly slamming down the bike you'll have other problems, like a cracked/broken frame, fairings and fairing mounts breaking... well, pretty much any part of the bike that attaches with a bracket will break or come loose.

That's why you want to learn slow and/or on a beater bike. Once you got it down and you're smooth, wheelies are no more hard on the bike than every day riding. Example: my last 3 bikes, which I have wheelied a LOT, all got over 60k miles on the OEM clutch.

·
Crazy Canadian
373 Posts
+1, I have never replaced a clutch in any of my bikes unless the engine was being rebuilt. Usually after 40-50km's. The 02 R1 went 73km's in 4 years with lots of burnouts and wheelie's, and high speed wheelie's at that.
Like wise with the all balls bearings, once I change them I havnt had to again unless rebuilding the bike.
But like mxracer95 said, if your slamming your front end down hard all the time you have bigger worries then the head bearings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how to wheely a R1 the first time

:saw:Whats up guys ! statrted out with 02 tlr 1000 no problem with no clutch wheelies, traded it for 02 zx9 never tried to wheely it, traded it to a 04 4x4 forman es , traded it for a 01 929 done some mods to it never road it that much , then traded it to a 05 boulevard c50 i know pussy right!! now i traded it to guess what ???????? you guessed right ! a chery show room new 19000 miles R1 my dreem bike ! this bike is going no where!!! i would love to grow those balls that clank ! i wana learn stand up wheely! not 60 70 mph wheelies lil slower at first please! i need good advice utube traning vid. i like down shift 83 ! but i kneed to know! speed, rpm, foot placement, body position,tire pressure,and any thing i didnt mention! THANKS BY THE WAY MY NAME IS FLOYD from tenneessee!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
whats up guys ! i replied once and dont see it any where! new r1 owner never wheelied a r1 before wana learn wheeles slower than 60 70 mph first gear perferably ! stand ups only! need to know ! foot placement? rpms? speed? exact mesurement on how big your cods half to be???? any vid on youtube that would help!! PS! i love this r1 sight it kicks ass!!! floyd from brushcreek tenneessee

·
Registered
9 Posts
i know you guys are talking about riding wheelies but i am a newer rider and i would like to know how you learned to do a wheelie and what you think the best way to learn would be. i really want to ride out a wheelie some day but you have to start somewhere.
i have youtubed videos but i would like some more info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have never done a wheelie, I suggest you try wheeling something that doesnt cost $5000 or $10000. Try a dirt bike or a sport Quad with a manual clutch and a good rear brake. Brake control is everything!!! Without it you are lost young Jedi.

·
Drive Fast Take Chances :)
170 Posts

dont be scared.. go to church.. i pull wheelies all time in city with my r1.. if anything just be careful about those damn cops :)

·
Drive Fast Take Chances :)
170 Posts
If you have never done a wheelie, I suggest you try wheeling something that doesnt cost $5000 or $10000. Try a dirt bike or a sport Quad with a manual clutch and a good rear brake. Brake control is everything!!! Without it you are lost young Jedi.
your right bro! iv spilled my 03 yz 125 many times.. and its much less costly to practice on a dirt bike or four wheeler then to on a r1$$$ :) i haven't spilled the r1 but i dont plan 2! :) i would deff listin to what is quoted up top... remember " Drive Fast Take Chances" to whom are experienced :) not newbies :scared

·
Registered
5 Posts
so i got a 02 r1 stretched 6 inches and lowered 2 inches, for all you pussies that say the bike wont wheelie, trust me its not the bike, shiit i can go 45-50 mph and slip the clutch up to 10-11k and Bam that mother****er is at 11 oclock, so im pretty excited to take the extension off because with the stretch it is so much more unstable but a 1/2 mile is still no problem

401 - 420 of 433 Posts
About this Discussion
432 Replies
174 Participants
DSM908
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing