Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harbor Freight Tools Ad: easiest way to clean windshield using Harbor Freight 12V 3" polisher and Meguiars plastic cleaner/polisher

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't use any of that shit. It scratched the hell out of my stock windscreen. Go down to Walmart and buy some dupont motorcycle polish and the matte finisher and good microfiber towels.
I use the polish on my helmet visor and windscreen. It's great stuff.

The stock windscreen and helmet visors are made of polycarbonate aka lexan. It's shatter proof. But it cannot be polished once scratched it can't be removed

Most aftermarket sport bike screens are acrylic. Which has better optical qualities and scratches can be removed. But this material busts like glass easy. That's why it's not used for helmet visors

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,457 Posts
I always just use Pledge.

Reactions: tory ii

·
Look Ma 1 Hand!
59 Posts
On the bike, I liked....
"Honda Spray Clean & Polish" (Was like a budget Plexus)
"Pledge" (Still use it on occasion)
Lately I've been using "Rain-X for Plastic". (ehhh, It works)

Helmet, I've been using regular Rain-X.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dab mequiers on polisher then smear it on bugs on windshield and pull trigger. Polisher does all the work. Next I take cloth and wipe and then everything perfect. Fast and easy

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

how to use it: do not wait until it dry. use polisher immediately after smearing it on. always clean polisher cloth before using it. too easy

tell me how to use dupont cleaner and honda cleaner

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
Plexus.

Lemon Pledge in the spray can works better than Honda Polish. Honda Polish smears.

I tested all 3 and did a short write up on it here several years back.

Plexus was the best with Pledge being very very similar. Use it on the helmet and bike.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got Zero Gravity windshield and BILT face shield and been using meguiars (for safety) because i also wipe clean the nose of bike AND the headlamp lens

edit: don't forget, it mostly for cleaning AND less for a little polish

·
Registered
47 Posts
I get it but I’ve been doing it forever without issues. That’s not to say it can’t mess up the paint, just not something I’ve experienced. Everyone collectively shakes their heads at me which is kinda why I shared, lol

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
I get it but I’ve been doing it forever without issues. That’s not to say it can’t mess up the paint, just not something I’ve experienced. Everyone collectively shakes their heads at me which is kinda why I shared, lol
Not shaking my head. I’m not going to pretend I’ve never used a wet rag or even spit.

·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this summer i used my bike on average 4.5 times per week (probably more). all street/highway use, and bike is very dirty. most of the time when done riding i had to clean the windshield and the face shield and headlight lens. everytime i had to rub off, with my hands and fingers, the bugs. that why i show the 12V polisher; it much easier. and meguiars has been very safe on all surfaces.

i agree with everyone, the proper cleaner is very important to not ruin the surface, especially the headlight lens.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So, when using Pledge on the bike and related stuff...You just wipe on and off with a micro fiber cloth or what? I’ve always washed with soap and water but this sounds easier. How dirty does the bike have to be before you won’t use Pledge? This seems like one of those, “too good to be true” type deals.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The nice thing about the dupont stuff is I've tried it on many things like my tv, laptop screen, keyboard, etc it made the laptop look as clean as it comes out of the box. No residue of any kind. The polish I like better than the matte stuff. It works like the old honda polish. Which btw is called bike spirits now. It's the same shit and we used it at the Kawasaki suzuki dealership I worked for. Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish - AJ2710-06 Dirt Bike Motorcycle Goldwing Snowmobile | Dennis Kirk

·
Registered
103 Posts

how to use it: do not wait until it dry. use polisher immediately after smearing it on. always clean polisher cloth before using it. too easy

tell me how to use dupont cleaner and honda cleaner
Spray on wipe off while it's wet. I'm serious it's really good. It's not oily. It cleans clear plastic better than glass cleaner. Try it you will like it I guarantee. You can use it on plastics, rubber, clear plastic, painted parts, all the frame, engine, bodywork, helmet visors the helmet. I use it for everything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Plexus is stupid expensive now. I had an old can with the 7.95$ sticker still on, then one with 12.95. I looked at Cycle Gear the other day because my 12.95$ Can is low, 29.95$! Holy socks!!! Next door at the Yamaha dealer, 30.95$!!!
Bought a can (large) on eBay for 25$ delivered. It’s expensive but I don’t trust anything else.
It smells good too. I notice that bugs and dirt are easier to remove once you use Plexus on your bike, screen, helmet etc.
simple to use too, just spray on wipe off with a microfiber cloth, one easy step. Luckily a can lasts Me several years.
I did try a cleaner/polish from S-100 as I like their cycle wash a lot. Especially for dirt bikes. The cleaner polish for 9.95$ , was not very good. It took two stages, you wiped it on, then removed before it dried, with another cloth. It left a soapy looking haze on aluminum surfaces (levers, rearsets) which I did not like, and wouldn’t wipe off. I had to use a small amount of simichrome polish to remove that funky haze. No more S-100 which is a German product.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts