Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
[ Premium Member ]
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya folks,

I recently attempted doing a TB sync as I used to love doing on my FZ6. I noticed that the R1 does not have the permanently attached tubes on the TB's like the FZ6 had. So I decided to add them, so that I can sync the TB's with ease in future. Here is how that went down...

1) Take off both seats.

2) Remove the tank. First you need to remove the two plastic side panels and then disconnect the stuff under the tank.
a) The two fuel level sensors
b) The fuel line (CAUTION: Fuel will squirt out)
c) Fuel overflow pipes, of which there are two
Remember to plug the fuel line and the tank fuel line connector, or else fuel will piss out till your tank is empty...

3) Now that the tank is off, you can start looking for the TB plugs PIC1. You will see a grey pipe with a white line on it going into the TB and onto a sensor on the air box. Leave that, as indicated with a red cross. What you are looking for is a black rubber connector, attached directly to the TB below the grey pipe - indicated area with the yellow arrow.

4) Using a length of vacuum pipe as depicted PIC2, cut lengths of 30cm or so. You will need four. (Pipe inner diameter 3-4mm)

5) Take the rubber connecters as per step (3) off and connect your vacuum pipes.PIC3

6) Now reconnect the tank, as you will need it for starting the engine. You can sync your TB's using your now connected vacuum pipes (four), if you use a single gauge as I did PIC4. Note that depending on the gauge you use, the needle might hop around a lot. So I clamped the vacuum pipe a little each time until the gauge reading steadied out. You can use a set of pliers for this. Start with the adjustment screw that is painted white as your base. The adjustment screws are on the TB's, near the pipes you connected. Turning the screw in = increase vacuum. Then sync the other three TB's to match the first.

7) Plug the vacuum pipes with something sturdy after your done PIC5. (Plastic t-connecter or something) Also make sure that the pipes are neat and do not get damaged when you lower the tank back to into position. Note the red and yellow blocks as areas that may foul under the tank PIC5

This simple maintenance will aid with a reduction in the random stalls many 07-08 R1 owners experience. It will also make the motor run smoother.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info

Thanks alot. I performed this mod on my 07 R1, adjusted everything and now she purrs like a kitten :scoots:. The hard part is over (if there was one) so next time it'll be even easier. Thanks again. :thumbup

·
Registered
5 Posts
I must admit I've never thought to sync my carbs :unsure:.
Got a major update scheduled with a BAZZAZ Z-FI-TC coming. Might be a good option to do this whilst she's all opened up.
Question is how... Got a carbmate vacuum gauge from my VTR1000 tuning days (Pre-EFI - those were the days!), wonder if that would work equally as well here. Obviously would have a balance in pairs and then cross-reference.

Any thoughts from users here?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts