Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
2WheeLife.com
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres two ways to do it. If you want to use your stock forks to keep the cost down:

Since the 99-03 R1s have 298mm rotors and a 6 bolt pattern, if you want to mount 04 or newer wheels(04-06 R1 have 320mm rotors and 5 bolt pattern rotors) on your bike you can use 03-04 R6 rotors which are 298mm and have a 5 bolt pattern or just buy an 03-04 R6 front wheel complete with rotors. The only other thing you would need to do to fit the wheel is use washers to space the calipers inward about 1mm. What you do is use washers between the fork and caliper.

Or you can change the entire front end, forks, calipers etc... You can keep your stock triples, axle, and the fender will fit.

The Rear fits without modification on an 02-03, use the 04+ caliper and cush drive, and use the 02-03 spacers. 99-01 have larger rear rotors so, you need to use the caliper and caliper mount from an 02-03 for the rear to fit.

I've done both methods on my 02. I first fit the wheels with stock forks, then decided to upgrade to 04+ forks, calipers, and rotors...

·
STRAIGHT ROADS SUCK!
1,492 Posts
Good information. Bike looks sweet too.

Great choice on tires. :secret:

·
Lean'n 2 the Limit
21 Posts
Thanks! Very nice write up. I'm about to do this change to my bike!
To bad that swingarm wont mount up! With the shock offset I'm sure thats the reason why ya cant mount it. Looks alot better, and probably functions better too.

Thanks for the info man! If I run into any problems I'll PM ya.

·
Lean'n 2 the Limit
21 Posts
BTW, where did you get your lower fairing section? Looks like all one peice. Looks nice that way.

When switching out the forks will my clips-ons and control switches work on the newer fronts?

·
2WheeLife.com
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, where did you get your lower fairing section? Looks like all one peice. Looks nice that way.

When switching out the forks will my clips-ons and control switches work on the newer fronts?
Those are Hotbodies Race fairings. The clip ons and everything else will work with the 04+ forks. You'll only need the forks, rotors, calipers, wheels and cush drive for the rear. :thumbup

·
Lean'n 2 the Limit
21 Posts
I found a set of 05 rims. PLus a complete front end.

Will I need to upgrade the rear brake caliper and bracket also when I switch out the rear rim?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have a pair of R1 forks, lower triple and axle lying osmewhere but I do not know which year did it come from. Any idea how to identify it?

Tks.

·
RIDE OR DIE
270 Posts
It is man, all the stunters been doing it for a while. Just cut the can a baffle repack and put it back together.

·
RIDE OR DIE
270 Posts
it doesn't look like the can was cut. the mid pipe would be too long.
No the mid pipe wouldn't be to long because I have lots of buddy that have done this mod to there can's. You cut the can at the bottom end after you have carefully taken it apart then put it back together. The mid pipe never get touch because that your mount point and that shouldn't change just the length of the can.

·
RIDE OR DIE
270 Posts
how did it affect handling??
If your asking about the wheel swap it will imporve it be the 04-06 wheels are a little bit lighter than the 99-03. I notice it when I was swaping mine out.

·
RIDE OR DIE
270 Posts
im mostly asking about the forks sorry im at work and trying not to be seen goofing off =)
Well 1st of all the 04 and up have radial brakes and thats a big plus. You will want to keep you 02-03 triple tree because you don't want to change the rake. Handling wise it better because the wheels are lighter not because the forks are different and you haven't changed your rake.

If you don't mind me asking but don't you have full Ohlins?

·
getting away with it since 84!
1,188 Posts
i dont have the forks only the shock....i was thinking about attempting to pick up a set of used ohlins forks but i can get 04+ forks and have them revalved and resprung for a fraction of some ohlins; i do plan on upgrading the wheels but it doesnt seem bad at all...i can get a sweet deal on some gale speed wheels so i may give it a shot..

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
About this Discussion
108 Replies
39 Participants
R1nzler
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing