Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Good point...

In your opinion what is a front end rebuild cycle Kang? I re-built these forks then a-z @ 3k ago.
Sucks I have to do my rear cuz it drooled oil when I adjusted the compression circuit:(

Now I'm worked up about the front end deal, and I have a set of. I'm looking at 400$ in work again. :(:vanish

·
37,490 Posts
Just a rebuild with seals and nothing else is around 150-200 from lindemann.

Edit: my cycle is I'm a cheapass so I wait until the oil starts leaking cause it's thinner than air:crash. I haven't rebuilt mine in like 5 years. Part of it being the quality of the rebuild and the one who did it too.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
u dont have to disconnect the inner fork tube from the outer one(so , no need for new seals). u can get away with just removing the damper rod .

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
So i Use 03-04 r6 298mm 5 bolt front rotors and 04+ rotor, caliper, and cushdrive and 02-03 spacer for a 2003 r1?
What year wheels are you trying to put on what year bike?

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
I have an 03 r1 and im putting 04-06 R1 rims on it
OK, it's been said all over this thread...

04-06 rims are all the same, 07 and later too but anyway. You need all the parts for the rear the same. Rim, rotor, cush. It will all fit in the 02-03.

Front rim, all the parts from the new rim. Then you get the figure out what you want to do for the rotors. 02-03 are 298mm rotors. You will need one of the following for later rims. If you use the 320mm rotors from the 04-06 you will need adapters to space the calipers out. Braketech makes some nice ones, maybe other companies too. If you want 298mm rotors you can use later model R6 298mm rotors with the 04-06 R1 bolt pattern. Think it's like 05-06 R6, someone can chime in on it.

There are tons of other options on the front (ie: complete 04-06 front end) but the two above are the simple ones.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Helo guys, I have a question for someone who has a 04 front wheel laying around

I need to know the exact measurement between the disks, measured without the disks on

I am about to machine some metal from my 01 BST front wheel so it will go in a 04 front end I have

I know there's not much in it but if someone could get some verniers out I would be greatful :bow

·
R1's all the way !
136 Posts
hey guys just after abit of help .

ive also done the 04 rim conversion on my 99 r1 , i have used a set of 04 r6 rotors which are 298mm , same diameter as the 99 rotors .

however now ive mounted them up , when i spin the front wheel the brake discs hit the brake calipers , like the brake calipers are mounted to low or the brake disc sits too high up .

however i cant see how this is as the rotors are still 298mm , and the whole front end , brakes callipers etc are still standard 99 r1 items .

this should be working but its not .

any ideas on people who have done this conversion would be greatly appreciated

cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Did you space the calipers in a little bit? The 04 and up wheels use rotors that are closer together than the 02 03

·
Registered
41 Posts
ugh... Damn I have gotten so confused. I have an 02 R1. I want to put 04 rims on it. What do I need from the 04 to put the wheels on. I got lost too much info. lol. Thanks

·
37,490 Posts
ugh... Damn I have gotten so confused. I have an 02 R1. I want to put 04 rims on it. What do I need from the 04 to put the wheels on. I got lost too much info. lol. Thanks
:confused:

·
yield
17,851 Posts

·
Life is too short
2,502 Posts
Don't mean to bust your balls but elegalr1der only listed TWO (not 30) ways to get this done.

Which of the TWO are you confused about?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 02 R1. Im trying to use the 00 R1 swing arm. If that works then I want to know what needs to e changed for the rear. As for the front he mentioned the forks but I dont want to change the forks. I got lost on the spacer and what not as well as what needs to be done to the front to make the 04+ rim work. Also does anyone know if the 00 swing arm will work on my 02? I have a bent swing arm and a broken rear rim...

·
37,490 Posts
easiest:

04 forks 04 front wheel, 02-03 swingarm and rear caliper holder 04 rear wheel

medium:
98-03 forks, 04 front wheel, 03-04 R6 rotors, 02-03 swingarm and rear caliper holder 04 rear wheel

hard:

98-03 forks, 04 front wheel, 03-04 R6 rotors, 98-01 swinger, 02-03 rear brake caliper and space, 04 rear wheel

·
Registered
530 Posts
there is a guy on here selling fork bottoms from an 04 and rotors to do this conversion the easy way. and if you need a swingarm i have a good one for 02-03 you can have cheap

61 - 80 of 109 Posts
About this Discussion
108 Replies
39 Participants
R1nzler
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing